Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 28, 2011, 05:23:42 AM
Fixed.

(A loveable crank, mind you, even admirable . . . .)

Loveable indeed...anyone who can write a Symphony titled "The Flush of Youth", structure it as a three-movement piano concerto, and feature an optional wordless choir at the end, is a friend of mine.
So glad I hopped on the Langgaard train, loving every minute of it!

prémont

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 27, 2011, 08:58:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/0OX_4cJyhgI

Well, Per Nørgård speaks English with the most pronounced Danish accent I ever heard. Rather funny listening.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

DavidW

Thanks for posting that amusing story MI.  Now I feel like buying and listening to that Langgaard work! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on June 28, 2011, 07:23:32 AM
Thanks for posting that amusing story MI.  Now I feel like buying and listening to that Langgaard work! :)

Music of the Spheres is a fun piece. I own both Rozhdestvensky's and Dausgaard's recordings. I'm still debating which recording I prefer. I'll probably go with Dausgaard.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 28, 2011, 08:09:08 AM
Music of the Spheres is a fun piece. I own both Rozhdestvensky's and Dausgaard's recordings. I'm still debating which recording I prefer. I'll probably go with Dausgaard.

The Dausggard disc was the first Langgaard disc I owned, just recently bought the Rozhdestvensky version, mainly for the 4 Tone Pictures. Both are excellent performances, although I tend to prefer the Dausggard, his pacing in the final movements are a bit slower and Spheres benefits from that.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 28, 2011, 08:20:32 AM
The Dausggard disc was the first Langgaard disc I owned, just recently bought the Rozhdestvensky version, mainly for the 4 Tone Pictures. Both are excellent performances, although I tend to prefer the Dausggard, his pacing in the final movements are a bit slower and Spheres benefits from that.

Yes, I remember Dausgaard's whole performance actually being on the slower side, but I haven't listened to this recording in quite some time. It may be time to refresh my memory. :)

Christo

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 07:09:33 AM
Well, Per Nørgård speaks English with the most pronounced Danish accent I ever heard. Rather funny listening.

The other contender being NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

I have always loved the Finale of Langgaard's Ninth. I now know why - it has some of the radiance of Beethoven's Eighth, though not the tension-filled dialectics. Here is Ilya Stupel and his Artur Rubinstein Philharmonic Orchestra in fine form:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gwozjfwghdm/9%20IV%20-%20Finale_%20Fortids%20brusende%20Livslob.mp3
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

ARRRRGHHH

I blush to say I still haven't listened yet to Antikrist : (
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

J.Z. Herrenberg

Fair enough. Have you already had a chance to listen to Messis, Karl?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 24, 2012, 12:04:41 PM
ARRRRGHHH

I blush to say I still haven't listened yet to Antikrist : (

:'(

vandermolen

OK, I love symphonies 4,5,6 and 10. Which other ones should I listen to? (don't say 'all' although that is probably true  :)). I'm tempted by the box set but his style is so diverse that I'm not sure and I can't afford it anyway.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DieNacht

Quote from: vandermolen on February 25, 2012, 12:22:39 AM
OK, I love symphonies 4,5,6 and 10. Which other ones should I listen to? (don't say 'all' although that is probably true  :)). I'm tempted by the box set but his style is so diverse that I'm not sure ando I can't afford it anyway.

4,5,6,10 are also my favourites; I´d probably say 16,3,2,1 as the second row of preferences ... The 16th is a dark and tragic work, the others have a lighter mood.

Haven´t heard all of Dausgaard`s, but Langgaard symphony recordings are often unusually different from each other. The Stupel set is often very good, for instance in no.10, whereas his 15th has a Polish singer singing Danish, the result is ... unwillingly funny.

Langgaard´s piano works are likewise stylistically unpredictable, lots of lovely pieces and some devillish ones too, one should definitely give them a chance too if not yet heard.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I agree with DieNacht's recommendations, though I also have a weak spot for 9, 13 and 14... I prefer Stupel to Dausgaard, though not when there is a chorus and/or soloist that need(s) to sing in Danish (as DN rightly says), which is the case in 14 and 15...

cilgwyn

Langgaard & Brian at the top,together. I like it!
I wonder what they would have thought of each other if they'd ever been able to meet up for a chat? :o
The Antikrist v the 'Gothic'! Mind boggling! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on Today at 16:33:42
I wonder what they would have thought of each other if they'd ever been able to meet up for a chat? :o

I think Nature herself would have rebelled.

DieNacht

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 25, 2012, 06:34:53 AM
Quote from: cilgwyn on Today at 16:33:42

I think Nature herself would have rebelled.

:D :D :D

springrite

Quote from: DieNacht on February 25, 2012, 06:25:06 AM
The Stupel set is often very good, for instance in no.10, whereas his 15th has a Polish singer singing Danish, the result is ... unwillingly funny.

Ah, the advantage (or was it disadvantage?) of knowing neither language!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Thanks so much for the really helpful replies  :)

One of the CD guides described Langgaard as a kind of 'Danish Havergal Brian' so maybe they are destined to be together  ;D

Clearly I need to listen to 1 and 16 from opposite ends of Langgaard's composing career. I have some of the Stupel recordings so will fish them out.

Thanks again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

#14 - once you familiarize yourself with its program and movement titles (eg. Dad's rushing to the office) it becomes even more enjoyable, plus it's choral bookends enhance the symphony's uniqueness.

And I have grown to appreciate the first version of symphony #5 quite a bit. Only have one version (Dausgard)