What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: 71 dB on August 22, 2014, 12:24:25 PM
Looks like you don't have much damping in your room (looks like only couple of carpets).
The speakers seem to be very near the side walls and far away from each other.
How far is the listening spot?
Do they really sound good as they are?

The listening spot is a good deal away, but very narrow. There's lots and lots of potential to tweak their position... I had only one day to set it up and I haven't properly moved into that room, either... the whole right wall is supposed to be shelves (still in the designing stage).

Narrowing is one thing I'll try... though I'm not sure how much they will like being in front of the windows. Then again... they are not bass-heavy in the least, so that potential problem ought not show up. Advice always welcome.

I'm not in the least worried about stacking the units... if anything, the 30kg of the amp further dampens any of the vibrations the 18kg doesn't have in the first place. But they'll get a different table; what they're on now isn't quite big enough for the feet to sit properly on the plate. And maybe I'll move them next to the listening spot, rather than putting them in the "temple position"... speaker cables are long enough, after all.

jlaurson

Quote from: The new erato on August 22, 2014, 09:11:48 AM
Thanks. One doesn't see Thiel in Norway, though I know the name.
Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 22, 2014, 09:30:51 AM
Excellent  8)  I know you've been after the Thiel speakers for quite some time.
Sarge
Quote from: Jay F on August 22, 2014, 09:48:02 AM
Why the little speakers? And what are they? Does the amp allow two pair of speakers?
Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 22, 2014, 09:49:36 AM
Jens - congrats! Dave  :)

Thanks! Yes... the Thiel SCS4 have fascinated relentlessly me ever since I've done extensive comparative hearing sessions at the local HiFi shop. My... that's probably some seven or six years ago, now. These are the T model and differ only in that they don't have a stand but a chassis... but otherwise identical. Not more internal volume, either.

Why them? Why so small? Well, I fell in love with how they play... the precision and the detail are amazing -- very, very neutral and 'fast' / responsive. Makes the ears read the score, while listening to good string quartet recordings. I don't need the oomph so badly... and if I have extra money and the inclination, I can get a superb subwoofer added to it and give the SS Organ Symphony the necessary kick, too. :-)

71 dB

Quote from: jlaurson on August 23, 2014, 05:07:04 AM
The listening spot is a good deal away, but very narrow. There's lots and lots of potential to tweak their position... I had only one day to set it up and I haven't properly moved into that room, either... the whole right wall is supposed to be shelves (still in the designing stage).

Narrowing is one thing I'll try... though I'm not sure how much they will like being in front of the windows. Then again... they are not bass-heavy in the least, so that potential problem ought not show up. Advice always welcome.

Even if you get shelves and stuff into the room the direct sound versus reverberation ratio seems problematic. I can't predict how your loudspeakers will sound like in the end (I don't even know how the room continues "behind"), but you should try taking the speakers closer to each other and bringing the listening spot closer. That way you'll increase the direct sound versus reverberation ratio. Also, try to keep the room "symmetrical" so that the left and right sides are acoustically as similar as possible. Try moving the speakers. Even a few inches will change the sound a bit. The angle of speakers is also important. I would try turning the speakers so that their axis cross each other in front of you. That produces a sharper sound image that can be used to compensate poor direct sound versus reverberation ratio.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jay F

Quote from: jlaurson on August 23, 2014, 05:15:14 AM
Why them? Why so small?

I was asking about the two small speakers, on the table with the amp and CD player.

jlaurson

Quote from: Jay F on August 23, 2014, 07:05:16 AM
I was asking about the two small speakers, on the table with the amp and CD player.

Oh, never mind those. They are Focal Wireless speakers. Not bad for what they are... glorified Computer Speakers. But a bit woolly.

But to answer your question about the amp: Yes, it can/could take two pairs of speakers or bi-wiring, for those who believe in it. (But Thiel doesn't believe in it, so that point is mute with my system.)

HIPster

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

So my amp, Technics SA-AX6, started buzzing the speakers. It has done this before but this time I could only get it down to a low hiss.
First I tried a well reviewed Yamaha surround system, but after a few days it had to go back.  Might be a great movie amp, but the frequency range just wasn't good enough. So I decided on just a stereo amp, and picked the Marantz pm6005. It arrived today. I am happy so far. It is just that little bit quicker than the Technics, and of course hiss-free.

[asin]B00EE18LQG[/asin]

Next up is new speakers, Paradigm Monitor 9.

petrarch

Quote from: Ken B on November 25, 2014, 02:41:12 PM
It is just that little bit quicker than the Technics

Therefore an improvement for some Marteau and Gruppen. ;)
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Ken B

Quote from: petrarch on November 25, 2014, 04:09:22 PM
Therefore an improvement for some Marteau and Gruppen. ;)

Might make all the difference!

Brian

Currently all I have is a TV, a laptop, a basic Blu-Ray player, and headphones.

So my question is:
What is the essential equipment somebody should start with? What do you need for a basic but pretty good sound system? You're going to have to explain this like I'm a kid, because I don't know what most of this stuff is (except "speakers" and "subwoofer").

Also I am in a 600 sq. ft. apartment with small rooms, and unlikely to afford bigger spaces in the years to come, so if a speaker requires 5 feet of empty space behind it to sound good, that's not useful.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on December 06, 2014, 06:23:47 PM

So my question is:
What is the essential equipment somebody should start with? What do you need for a basic but pretty good sound system? You're going to have to explain this like I'm a kid, because I don't know what most of this stuff is (except "speakers" and "subwoofer").

Also I am in a 600 sq. ft. apartment with small rooms, and unlikely to afford bigger spaces in the years to come, so if a speaker requires 5 feet of empty space behind it to sound good, that's not useful.
This, which is only this weekend I think, seems a good deal. http://www.frys.com/product/4965501?site:sr=dealnews
They are floor standers but not big ones. I have not heard them but Polk is generally good for low to moderate priced stuff. You need a decent amp and  two precisely two speakers, and any decent 16 guage or thicker cables.
Your amp matters. Unless you plan on putting in a multi surround system, which you cannot in your space, get a good stereo amp not a home theatre amp, unless the price is great. Old amps can still be great, so think about eBay.
Does your bluray have RCA plugs (round, hole in the middle, red, white)? If not you need an amp with a DAC, Digital analog converter, which rules out older amps. Either that or get a new CD player with a good DAC.

Given a choice look for a type A or B or A/B amp, not type C or D. Technical stuff about power usage mostly, and you won't be driving moster sized speakers so you don't care.

As an example I found this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotel-RA-1062-High-Current-Stereo-Integrated-Power-Amplifier-/221622092278?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3399b4c1f6 that's a good amp, and I found it in two minutes looking.

Todd

So my question is:

You need: source (your BD player should work), an integrated amp, and speakers.  Receivers can be good, but integrateds are better.  When I started off I had a well reviewed Denon receiver, and the Arcam integrated I replaced it with was way better.  Hopefully, you don't get hooked on gear, because it can be a spendy habit.  I know.

You needn't spend a fortune.  Entry level NAD electronics and B&W speakers, for instance, would work just fine.  Budget will have a huge impact, but I assume you are inquiring about cheaper stuff.  I also assume stereo is what you're after.  You may want to consider internet direct sellers.  You get much better bang for the buck for new gear, but make sure the company offers a home trial.  Used gear is an option, too, but be careful, especially at the lower end of the market.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Brian, for speakers, I don't know what your budget is, or if you are currently residing in the US, but Philharmonic Audio offers a modified pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 towers for $275.00.  The tweeter has been upgraded to a Vifa model, and the crossover has been redesigned.  I've not heard them, but I do own four other pairs of speakers where Dennis Murphy, the man behind Philharmonic Audio, designed the crossover.  He knows his stuff.  I do own the Pioneer BS-22 in unmodified form, and it is good; I would bet the upgraded pair for $165 is even better.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on November 25, 2014, 02:41:12 PM
So my amp, Technics SA-AX6, started buzzing the speakers. It has done this before but this time I could only get it down to a low hiss.
First I tried a well reviewed Yamaha surround system, but after a few days it had to go back.  Might be a great movie amp, but the frequency range just wasn't good enough. So I decided on just a stereo amp, and picked the Marantz pm6005. It arrived today. I am happy so far. It is just that little bit quicker than the Technics, and of course hiss-free.

[asin]B00EE18LQG[/asin]

How is your Marantz amplifier experience turning out Ken?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on December 06, 2014, 08:16:58 PM
How is your Marantz amplifier experience turning out Ken?
Very well. Unlike the Yamaha it's a step up from the Technics. Not a  large step, but it seems just a bit quicker in the highs. And with it's optical input and good DAC I can now play Spotify from the TV and get good sound.

I tried 3 ways to hook up my cd player,, which also has a good DAC, rca, optical, coax. The coax seems a shade better than optical, a shade better than RCA.

It also runs a lot cooler and is slimmer so vents better.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on December 06, 2014, 08:27:11 PM
Very well. Unlike the Yamaha it's a step up from the Technics. Not a  large step, but it seems just a bit quicker in the highs. And with it's optical input and good DAC I can now play Spotify from the TV and get good sound.

I tried 3 ways to hook up my cd player,, which also has a good DAC, rca, optical, coax. The coax seems a shade better than optical, a shade better than RCA.

It also runs a lot cooler and is slimmer so vents better.

Sounds wonderful. Hard to know what is under the hood in some of these receivers/amplifiers. Did you get a good deal?  I have an older Yamaha receiver that needs to graduate to (or rather be dropped down )  supporting my home TV, so I can blast classical music a bit louder. I.e. am have started to look around for a good amplifier.  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on December 06, 2014, 08:33:59 PM
Sounds wonderful. Hard to know what is under the hood in some of these receivers/amplifiers. Did you get a good deal?  I have an older Yamaha receiver that needs to graduate to (or rather be dropped down )  supporting my home TV, so I can blast classical music a bit louder. I.e. am have started to look around for a good amplifier.  0:)

Yes. I went on eBay and got half list price plus shipping for a gently used one. List is 700, and they seem to be getting it; not many discounts, and some places sold out. Anyway, I am a happy camper.

It has fairly low power, 45 a channel, less than half the Technics, but it drives my Paradigm 9s perfectly without getting as far as one third volume. It can bi amp too.
No fancy DSP. Just straight pass thru or bass and treble knobs, and a loudness buton.
Two channel, no sub woofer.

The PM6004 is the early version, and for years was generally seen as the stereo amp to beat under 1k. The reviews say this is noticeably better, but the 6004 may turn up cheap.

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on August 23, 2014, 05:15:14 AM
Thanks! Yes... the Thiel SCS4 have fascinated relentlessly me ever since I've done extensive comparative hearing sessions at the local HiFi shop. My... that's probably some seven or six years ago, now. These are the T model and differ only in that they don't have a stand but a chassis... but otherwise identical. Not more internal volume, either.

Why them? Why so small? Well, I fell in love with how they play... the precision and the detail are amazing -- very, very neutral and 'fast' / responsive. Makes the ears read the score, while listening to good string quartet recordings. I don't need the oomph so badly... and if I have extra money and the inclination, I can get a superb subwoofer added to it and give the SS Organ Symphony the necessary kick, too. :-)

Moved twice. Intermittently in a room with absolutely nothing but blank walls and a hardwood floor and about 900ft2 large... and absolutely the acoustics of a swimming pool. All I could play (not that I minded) was (Bach) Organ Works. Sounded amazing. But now I'm in a small furnished room... and the speakers sound amazing. Tears are coming to my eyes, just on listening to the first recording (Goldbergs on Guitar that I randomly picked from a box of new arrivals) and oh-my!!!

J.S. Bach
Goldberg Variations on Guitar
Marco Salcito
Dynamic (2 CDs)

German link - UK link

vandermolen

I have quite a low-fi system. Second hand Kef speakers (large, floor standing), second hand NAD amplifier. Sony CD player is playing up so need new one. Richer Sounds in UK do a Teac CD player for under £100 or a slightly more expensive Cambridge Audio one. Any advice on which one to get or a not-too-expensive alternative.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pat B

So my question is:

IMO: speakers differ more than amps which differ more than sources (assuming your sources are digital; if you ever get into vinyl, a quality turntable is very important).

For small rooms, and since it sounds like you're on a budget, and most of your listening is classical, I would suggest putting your money into a amp (I agree with Todd about integrated amp if possible, as opposed to a receiver) and a pair of good, small speakers.

In general, I'd say avoid the mass-market stuff, though something like Todd's Pioneers might be an exception (I haven't heard them).

You can find good deals on previous-generation stuff. I bought a pair of Mission 731i's via ebay for about $100 and have been very happy with them. But I don't know what the risk is -- maybe I got lucky.

All IMO/FWIW. My days of A-B comparing were long ago.