Bach Chamber and Instrumental music

Started by Que, May 24, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 15, 2022, 11:52:22 PM
By the way, listening to Gester and Pierot this morning it occurred to me that you need to have a recording with organ - I'm not sure ensemble SDG is the one. The way the organ sustains, and the way it complements the tone of the violin, transforms the music into something else. Listening to 1019a. It looks as though this is from the set

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIw0zusG2k

It's on Spotify.

Selig

Quote from: Que on February 16, 2022, 01:36:18 AM
It's on Spotify.

The whole thing? Maybe geo-restricted, I can't find it

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 15, 2022, 11:52:22 PM
By the way, listening to Gester and Pierot this morning it occurred to me that you need to have a recording with organ - I'm not sure ensemble SDG is the one. The way the organ sustains, and the way it complements the tone of the violin, transforms the music into something else. Listening to 1019a. It looks as though this is from the set

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIw0zusG2k
The intimacy is really lost in this way. Maybe I'm not hearing the benefit yet. There's a strange dark intimacy in these particular works IMO or at least there can be. I think of it as night music or rainy day music. I guess there's all sorts of things to bring out in Bach and all sorts of ways to appreciate it.

JBS

Not a new one, but my favorite (granted this isn't the part of Bach's music I turn to often)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

milk

I would add Schayegh & Halubek. Schayegh gives a very detailed and interesting performance, vis a vis her ornamentation. As far as piano, I'd suggest Dauteicourt/Pohjonen as well.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 16, 2022, 03:21:37 AM
The intimacy is really lost in this way. Maybe I'm not hearing the benefit yet. There's a strange dark intimacy in these particular works IMO or at least there can be. I think of it as night music or rainy day music. I guess there's all sorts of things to bring out in Bach and all sorts of ways to appreciate it.

It's only a little organ! Not a big cathedral beast.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2022, 05:05:40 AM
It's only a little organ! Not a big cathedral beast.
I'll listen again to that. Don't you think it gives it a more magisterial feeling? Maybe not. I'll give it a go. I'm listening to Capucon and Fray again. I'm more impressed now that I'm listening on headphones. Capucon does have a beautiful sound.

aukhawk

I'm also rather partial to organ accompaniment in this music:

Bach Sonatas for Violin and Keyboard - Edouard, Eichelberger

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on February 16, 2022, 06:47:25 AM
I'm also rather partial to organ accompaniment in this music:

Bach Sonatas for Violin and Keyboard - Edouard, Eichelberger

Forgot about that!

SonicMan46

OK Guys - over the last few days I've been listening to 'parts' of the first 5 recordings below on Spotify; the Pinnock/Podger I've heard before and believe the ones I own are their equal if not better.  Many of these seem to be OOP and mostly available as DLs, but I'll search Amazon, PrestoMusic, BRO and elsewhere to see what may be available as a physical purchase.

As mentioned before, I'm looking for just one or two additions (i.e. after I cull out Rannou) - different instruments (such as piano substitution or addition of B.C. strings might be preferred over another harpsichord repetition) - I listened to most of the Bruello/Loreggian recording and enjoyed but felt that the sound was 'too busy' in parts w/ all of the instruments - not sure that I'd enjoy repeated hearings?  Ensemble SDG is on 3 discs and only DLs although I did like the organ - cannot remember others w/ organ replacing harpsichord - any help?  Finally, the Capucon/Fray is of interest but believe just a single disc of 4 of the works - another recording of them available?  If I did want another violin/harpsichord, Zenaty/Tuma or Schayegh/Halubek would do fine, especially the latter - thanks again for all of the help. Dave :)

Que

Que

Quote from: Que on February 07, 2022, 09:03:15 AM
But this one looks quite fancy:  :D

Perhaps it looked fancy, but it didn't sound fancy...

I didn't realise this is an arrangement in which the flute is replaced by a recorder. The result sounds rather clumsy to my ears.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on February 16, 2022, 09:03:05 AM
Perhaps it looked fancy, but it didn't sound fancy...

I didn't realise this is an arrangement in which the flute is replaced by a recorder. The result sounds rather clumsy to my ears.

Well, sorry and hope that you listened on Spotify rather than made a purchase - I still enjoyed the recording but prefer the flute - for those wondering and also interested in the recording, I've reattached the reviews.  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2022, 11:00:55 AM
Well, sorry and hope that you listened on Spotify rather than made a purchase - I still enjoyed the recording but prefer the flute - for those wondering and also interested in the recording, I've reattached the reviews.  Dave :)

Oh yes, it was on Spotify!   :)

Mandryka

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2022, 11:36:22 AM
Only two tracks.

When I open it on Spotify, it opens and plays the entire album.  Must be Brexit..  ;)

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2022, 11:36:22 AM
Only two tracks.

I can count myself lucky because I get to hear a full four tracks.

Enough to say that this is LOVELY, loving the A major Presto

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on February 16, 2022, 04:43:22 PM
I can count myself lucky because I get to hear a full four tracks.

Enough to say that this is LOVELY, loving the A major Presto

Pierot is very good, I listened to her Biber yesterday.

aukhawk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2022, 07:39:32 AM
Ensemble SDG is on 3 discs and only DLs although I did like the organ - cannot remember others w/ organ replacing harpsichord - any help?

Well there's also Nordstoga & Lotsberg - and I mention the organist first because that's how it comes across in the recording   It's beautiful music in its way but the violinist is a bit recessed in the mix and sounds a bit 'second fiddle' in the middle of a big empty church.  I think Edouard & Eichelberger that I mentioned upthread is a much more interesting recording - though often there is more tremolo in the organ than there is vibrato in the violin - a strange reversal.

milk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2022, 07:39:32 AM

after I cull out Rannou

😢😭😭😢🥺😩😩 if you don't like Rannou then I doubt you'd like Zenaty/Tuma