Bach Chamber and Instrumental music

Started by Que, May 24, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on December 03, 2007, 10:43:15 AM

Dave, happy to make some comments on this. :)
I'll also take my recent purchase of the issue by Quintana and Frisch into account.

First, I think the Savall/Koopman remains my first choice. The Quintana/Frisch has swift tempi and a very infectious dash. ....
The Weber/Hill is a different story ... use of the lute-harpsichord instead of a harpsichord adds to the attraction and makes this recording quite unique. So if you'd like a second version, this will be complementary both in style as sound-wise.

Q - thanks for your excellent response - I'm always interested in these 'hybrid' instruments, so think I'd prefer to give the Weber/Hill a listen -  ;D  Dave

FideLeo

Quote from: SonicMan on December 03, 2007, 03:24:31 PM
Q - thanks for your excellent response - I'm always interested in these 'hybrid' instruments, so think I'd prefer to give the Weber/Hill a listen -  ;D  Dave

The Sony vivarte recording by Bylsma and van Asperen uses a violoncello piccolo and a portative (chamber) organ.
The Channel Classics recording by Wispelwey and Egarr uses a violoncello piccolo, a harpsichord/chamber organ/fortepiano.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Let me bump this thread with request for your favourite recorings of the sonatas and partitas for violin solo.
I'm primarily interested in a new HIP recording next my Sigiswald Kuijken I (DHM), but don't let that stop anyone to recommend Hillary Hahn.... 8)

My preferred non-HIP:

The field of interesting HIP contenders is somewhat less crowded in comparison with the ocean of non-HIP recordings:

I've noted down (HIP):

- Sigiswald Kuijken II (DHM)
- Rachel Podger (Channel Classics)
- Hélène Schmitt (Alpha)
- Jaap Schröder (Naxos)
- Lucy van Dael (Naxos)
- Monica Huggett (Virgin)
- John Holloway (ECM)
- Ingrid Matthews (Centaur)
- François Fernandez (Flora)
- Brian Brookes (Arts)
- Elisabeth Wallfish (Hyperion).

Q

71 dB

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2008, 10:53:05 PMrequest for your favourite recorings of the sonatas and partitas for violin solo.

Well, I don't have "favorite recordings" because I haven't heard most of them and I don't understand how other people have time and money to check out several different recordings of certain works. As an Elgar nut I do have many recordings of some of his works but even with Elgar it's impossible to check most of them out. What's worse is the fact the the "best" recordings are of course hard to find, OOP or extremely expensive just to piss music lovers off.

I have only one recording of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin Violin, Lucy van Dael on Naxos (8.554422 and 8.554423). I don't have a clue how that compares to other recordings available. Life is too short to find out myself... ...I just find it more interesting to explore new music rather than new recordings...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

Quote from: 71 dB on April 12, 2008, 11:16:41 PM
Life is too short to find out myself... ...I just find it more interesting to explore new music rather than new recordings...  :P

I guess we have a different perspective of time.... ;D I have lived with Kuijken's 1st recording for some 15 years now, so I feel it's time for another take on these works.

Q

71 dB

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2008, 11:24:14 PM
I guess we have a different perspective of time.... ;D I have lived with Kuijken's 1st recording for some 15 years now, so I feel it's time for another take on these works.

Q

Well, 15 years ago I didn't even know Bach's music is worth my time or money.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2008, 10:53:05 PM

The field of interesting HIP contenders is somewhat less crowded in comparison with the ocean of non-HIP recordings:

I've noted down (HIP):

- Sigiswald Kuijken II (DHM)
- Rachel Podger (Channel Classics)
- Hélène Schmitt (Alpha)
- Jaap Schröder (Naxos)
- Lucy van Dael (Naxos)
- Monica Huggett (Virgin)
- John Holloway (ECM)

Q

Our resident violin s&p collector and connoisseur, Premont, seems to be quite taken with
the recording by Ingrid Matthews (on Centaur).  Maybe you'd be interested in adding that to your list too...

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on April 13, 2008, 12:47:52 AM
Our resident violin s&p collector and connoisseur, Premont, seems to be quite taken with
the recording by Ingrid Matthews (on Centaur).  Maybe you'd be interested in adding that to your list too...

Done!  :) And I've added François Fernandez on Flora.
And what are your favourites - Kuijken II, Schmitt?

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 13, 2008, 01:04:11 AM
Done!  :) And I've added François Fernandez on Flora.
And what are your favourites - Kuijken II, Schmitt?

Q

Schmitt may be a bit too eccentric for your taste if I have understood it correctly...
Kuijken II makes smooth listening - I prefer not to be challenged by "serious"
"interpretations" when there is already enough pathos in the music as is. 

prémont

Quote from: fl.traverso on April 13, 2008, 12:47:52 AM

Yes, her tempi are relative slow -but not too slow- and the playing is clean, transparent, beautiful and unmannered.

To the list should be added:

Brian Brookes (Arts music)
and
Elisabeth Wallfish (Hyperion).
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: fl.traverso on December 04, 2007, 10:57:44 AM
The Sony vivarte recording by Bylsma and van Asperen uses a violoncello piccolo and a portative (chamber) organ.
The Channel Classics recording by Wispelwey and Egarr uses a violoncello piccolo, a harpsichord/chamber organ/fortepiano.
And the Guielmi brothers recording (Ars Musici like the Weber/Hill) uses viola da gamba and fortepiano.

prémont

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2008, 10:53:05 PM
Let me bump this thread with request for your favourite recorings of the sonatas and partitas for violin solo.
I'm primarily interested in a new HIP recording next my Sigiswald Kuijken I (DHM), but don't let that stop anyone to recommend Hillary Hahn.... 8)

My preferred non-Hip versions are Grumiaux and Milstein - not surprising, but I would add the first recording of Christian Tetzlaff (virgin), Karl Suske (Berlin classics) and Susanne Lautenbacher (second recording, Vox).

Tetzlaff´s recording is something of an equal to the Matthews recording, and you can get it on a Virgin 4CD set coupled with Ralph Kirchbaums equally beautiful version of the Cello suites for almost no money.

And almost mandatory are Nigel North´s arrangements for lute (Linn) and Gustav Leonhardts arrangements for harpsichord (Telefunken:Sonata 2 -Bachs own transcription - and 3, Harmonia Mundi:Sonata 1,3 and the Suites - yes he recorded the sonata 3 twice). Robert Hill has released a double CD on Haenssler containing arrangements of some of these works too.

Bunny

What about Mullova's recording of the sonatas with Dantone?  Has anyone heard these, or read anything about them?

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2008, 06:32:17 PM
What about Mullova's recording of the sonatas with Dantone?  Has anyone heard these, or read anything about them?

Johan van Veen reviewed it rather negatively at musicweb, but if you know that you don't share his taste then it shouldn't matter.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2007/July07/Bach_Mullova_ONYX4020.htm

I bought for almost nothing the rather unknown Richard Tognetti recording which is in the same camp (modernised instrument, gut strings, hip-influenced "crossover" performer...).  No, it doesn't sound too bad to me at all but I agree with Mr van Veen in part that a more "baroque" sound is easily imaginable...

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 13, 2008, 06:32:17 PM

We have had a few posts on the accompanied violin sonatas a few pages back, you'll find links to reviews there. As FL pointed out Van Veen didn't like it, Jed Distler did however very much so. I did thouroughly sample it, but didn't buy. My impression was that's a very good recording and it was my runner up with Valetti & Frisch, but in the end I opted for Malgoire & Rannou - see my post here.

Quote from: premont on April 13, 2008, 03:16:19 PM
Yes, her tempi are relative slow -but not too slow- and the playing is clean, transparent, beautiful and unmannered. To the list should be added:

Brian Brookes (Arts music)
and
Elisabeth Wallfish (Hyperion).

Done!  :) Relatively slow doesn't sound ideal, but I'll try to checkout  Ingrid Matthews' recording anyway.

BTW, is your favourite still Rachel Podger?

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 13, 2008, 10:02:44 PM
We have had a few posts on the accompanied violin sonatas a few pages back, you'll find links to reviews there. As FL pointed out Van Veen didn't like it, Jed Distler did however very much so. I did thouroughly sample it, but didn't buy. My impression was that's a very good recording and it was my runner up with Valetti & Frisch, but in the end I opted for Malgoire & Rannou - see my post

There is recently re-released HM recording with Elizabeth Blumenstock and John Butt of which I have heard a lot of nice things said also. There are actually many options in HIP alone which I believe have not been much discussed.  I will post a response I decide to get it.  :)

Don

Quote from: fl.traverso on April 14, 2008, 05:23:30 AM
There is recently re-released HM recording with Elizabeth Blumenstock and John Butt of which I have heard a lot of nice things said also. There are actually many options in HIP alone which I believe have not been much discussed.  I will post a response I decide to get it.  :)

I'm familiar with most of the HIP recordings and find the Blumenstock the most rewarding of all.

FideLeo

Quote from: Don on April 14, 2008, 05:31:04 AM
I'm familiar with most of the HIP recordings and find the Blumenstock the most rewarding of all.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Que

Quote from: Don on April 14, 2008, 05:31:04 AM

If you'd want your Bach straight and very sober IMO, it didn't do it for me.

What are your preferences on the solo violin sonatas and partitas, Don? :)

(Bunny succeeded in moving the topic from those to the accompanied sonatas, luckily this is a more general thread. ;D)

Q

FideLeo

Just an aside here -  I have spotted on the SA-CD site that a new Denon sacd release has been announced
for the Bach cello suites performed by the japanese baroqoe violinist Ryo Terakado using a Violoncello piccolo
da Spalla.  I'd be really interested to hear how good it is.  It may start a new trend of violinists playing/recording the
cello suites! 

(We can switch the topic back to the solo sonatas etc. any time!  ;D)