Bach Chamber and Instrumental music

Started by Que, May 24, 2007, 11:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 27, 2009, 11:24:28 AM
Thanks, Que. I will add those to the list.

Yes, my tastes seem to be travelling backward through time.  8)  Chopin and earlier: that's pretty much me, lately.

Oops, I made an error in giving you my rec. for the accompanied violin sonatas! ::)

My recommended violin partitas & sonatas (solo): Sigiswald Kuijken (DHM, HIP) or Nathan Milstein (EMI/Capitol, non-HIP)

Q

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Que on February 27, 2009, 11:27:31 AM
Oops, I made an error in giving you my rec. for the accompanied violin sonatas! ::)

My recommended violin partitas & sonatas (solo): Sigiswald Kuijken (DHM, HIP) or Nathan Milstein (EMI/Capitol, non-HIP)

Q

Thanks again. Some of that stuff is oop, eh?

Que

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 27, 2009, 11:34:26 AM
Thanks again. Some of that stuff is oop, eh?

Ehmmm, I didn't check but the two Kuijken recordings on DHM might be.
EDIT: Oh yes, and of course Glen Wilson's WTC - seriously OOP. Sorry about that.. :-\

Q

Dancing Divertimentian

Since the subject has come up (if inadvertently), anyone interested in the sonatas for violin and harpsichord might find these two discs attractive (in some of the finest recorded sound out there):

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SonicMan46

Quoteauthor=donwyn link=topic=1081.msg280311#msg280311 date=1235779248]
Since the subject has come up (if inadvertently), anyone interested in the sonatas for violin and harpsichord might find these two discs attractive (in some of the finest recorded sound out there):

Donwyn - just picked up the Mullova set of these works w/ Dantone - some exchanges in the 'listening thread' - these two performers should be great together, plus I have some Mozart on that label which is excellent - assume that you liked these recordings?  Dave

Bulldog

Quote from: Que on February 27, 2009, 11:47:27 AM
EDIT: Oh yes, and of course Glen Wilson's WTC - seriously OOP. Sorry about that.. :-\

True, but ArkivMusic has both books available "on demand".

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: SonicMan on February 27, 2009, 03:34:35 PM
Donwyn - just picked up the Mullova set of these works w/ Dantone - some exchanges in the 'listening thread' - these two performers should be great together, plus I have some Mozart on that label which is excellent - assume that you liked these recordings?  Dave

Dave, I'm a huge fan of the Gryphon Trio's set of Mozart piano trios on Analekta. It's top notch and makes the grade even up against such luminaries as the Beaux Arts.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 27, 2009, 10:28:46 AM
As far as I (did) know, Kuijken used the same 1700 Grancino violin in his two recordings of the S&P; unfortunately, I don't have my discs here.

This is also what I remember I read in the booklets.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

WTC:             
                    Gustav Leonhardt (DHM) or
                    Glenn Wilson (Teldec)

Cellosuites:
                    Sigiswald Kuijken (Violoncello da spalla) (Accent) or
                    Wieland Kuijken (Arcana) or
                    Ralph Kirchbaum (Virgin)

Violinsolos:
                   Ingrid Matthews (Centaur) or
                   Sigiswald Kuijken (DHM both his sets are recommendable) or
                   Christian Tetzlaff (Virgin)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: premont on February 28, 2009, 11:12:01 AM
WTC:             
                    Gustav Leonhardt (DHM) or
                    Glenn Wilson (Teldec)

Cellosuites:
                    Sigiswald Kuijken (Violoncello da spalla) (Accent) or
                    Wieland Kuijken (Arcana) or
                    Ralph Kirchbaum (Virgin)

Violinsolos:

Thank you, premont.

Opus106

Quote from: Que on February 27, 2009, 11:47:27 AM
Ehmmm, I didn't check but the two Kuijken recordings on DHM might be.
EDIT: Oh yes

A store about half-a-kilometre from my house has it (solo s&p). I think that box is "destined" for me, since I find that copy every time I go there even though I buy something else each time. I must be the stupidest Bach fan in the world.
Regards,
Navneeth

purephase

I apologize for bumping another Bach thread to front page, but I had a couple of quick questions regarding Fournier's recordings of the cello suites.  First, I was going to buy the famous DG recording for a friends and was wondering if there was any significant difference between the 1997 and 2007 releases?  I know it's the same recording, but is there any reason why the latter is so much cheaper than the former?  I was also wondering if anyone had heard Fournier's final recording of the suites for Phillips from 1977.  I had read that it differed somewhat from his most famous account but I did not know if it was worth tracking down.

Expresso

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 27, 2009, 07:10:19 AM
Quick!

List your favorite full-cycle recordings of these:

1. WTC

2. Cello suites

3. Violin sonatas and partitas

1) Leonhardt, Gould.

2) I only have Casals... i'm looking for further recommendations too.

3) Szeryng, Grumiaux.

Coopmv

Quote from: Expresso on April 11, 2009, 04:16:52 PM

1) Leonhardt, Gould.

2) I only have Casals... i'm looking for further recommendations too.

3) Szeryng, Grumiaux.

I played the following set this morning and was so impressed with Arthur Grumiaux once again.  He could make his violin sing ...  Henryk Szeryng was technically dazzling as well.  His recordings of Bach Violin Concertos BWV 1041-1042 with the ASMIF has been one of my all-time favorites.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on February 28, 2009, 11:12:01 AM

Violinsolos:

Hi, Premont.

I was reading some old posts and noticed that Rachel Podger was replaced by Ingrid Matthews in your recommendations for the S&P for Violin.

What qualities do you appreciate in her recording? I didn't know her before your suggestion.

Antoine Marchand

Much to my surprise  :o I have found that Barthold Kuijken is not included between the recommendations in the flute sonatas. Therefore, I will fix that incredible mistake  :D, including here his two recordings (on DHM and Accent):

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 26, 2009, 05:07:56 PM
Much to my surprise  :o I have found that Barthold Kuijken is not included between the recommendations in the flute sonatas. Therefore, I will fix that incredible mistake  :D, including here his two recordings (on DHM and Accent):

Do they sound rather similar?  (I only have the DHM myself)  They even have the same painting for cover art!  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: traverso on April 26, 2009, 07:40:31 PM
Do they sound rather similar?  (I only have the DHM myself)  They even have the same painting for cover art!  :)

Exactly, the second cover is a detail of the same painting entitled "Flutist" by Johann Kupetzky.

All works included in the second recording (BWV 1034, 1032, 1035, 1030) are present in the first one, just excepting the BWV 1033.

IMO both recordings don't sound too much similar.

The more noticeable changes in the last recording are two: the sonatas with basso continuo were recorded without violoncello or viola da gamba, and Kuijken opts for more alert tempi in this case. IMO certain loss of intimacy is the consequence of this features.

The sound is fine in both of them, although in the second one is rather more "analityc".

All in all, I even prefer the DHM recording, although I can't obtain too much information from the booklet in japenese.  :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 27, 2009, 03:57:48 AM
Exactly, the second cover is a detail of the same painting entitled "Flutist" by Johann Kupetzky.

Thanks for identifying the painting - it is too familiar to not have any idea about.   
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 26, 2009, 03:24:25 PM
I was reading some old posts and noticed that Rachel Podger was replaced by Ingrid Matthews in your recommendations for the S&P for Violin.

What qualities do you appreciate in her recording? I didn't know her before your suggestion.

What qualities I appreciate in her interpretation? It is not to much to say I like everything she does. The generally calm pace, her musical and expressive phrasing within the frames of a natural flow. The exquisite beautiful sounds she draws from her instrument.