Author Topic: Coronavirus thread  (Read 13301 times)

Que and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kaga2

• Currently Listening to:
    Mostly before 1900, but it’s not a rule
Re: Coronavirus thread
« Reply #1080 on: April 04, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
Bring back those 17th century beak masks, I say.
6 ft beaks.

Although if we each wear one, maybe a 3ft beak might do.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #1081 on: April 04, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
6 ft beaks.

Although if we each wear one, maybe a 3ft beak might do.

+1 on that. "Know me by my beak".  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline j winter

« Reply #1082 on: April 04, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »
Anyone here tried to make their own masks yet?

My wife has also started cranking out masks just this morning, for our family and a few local friends.

For the past 25+ years, my wife has made the same Christmas present for both my father-in-law and me -- each year she makes us each 3 pairs of boxer shorts, in the craziest, loudest, most amusing fabric she can find.  She has lots of bits of the fabric left over, so we are gettting a wild assortment of masks -- superheroes, Dr. Who, race cars, bright paisley, etc.....

This also allows me to occasionally drop in casual conversation the true fact that I haven't bought a pair of underwear in over a quarter of a century, which does get me some odd looks...   :laugh:
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1083 on: April 04, 2020, 01:28:04 PM »
My wife has also started cranking out masks just this morning, for our family and a few local friends.

For the past 25+ years, my wife has made the same Christmas present for both my father-in-law and me -- each year she makes us each 3 pairs of boxer shorts, in the craziest, loudest, most amusing fabric she can find.  She has lots of bits of the fabric left over, so we are gettting a wild assortment of masks -- superheroes, Dr. Who, race cars, bright paisley, etc.....

This also allows me to occasionally drop in casual conversation the true fact that I haven't bought a pair of underwear in over a quarter of a century, which does get me some odd looks...   :laugh:
:laugh:  :)

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
« Reply #1084 on: April 04, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »
Bring back those 17th century beak masks, I say.

It wasn’t just the shape. I seem to recall they were filled with some sort of botanical potion that was supposed to neutralize the bad vapors.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1085 on: April 04, 2020, 05:11:12 PM »
It wasn’t just the shape. I seem to recall they were filled with some sort of botanical potion that was supposed to neutralize the bad vapors.

Yes. Herbs.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1086 on: April 04, 2020, 06:10:23 PM »
British 5G towers are being set on fire amid coronavirus conspiracy theories

"5G phone masts are being set alight in the UK, after online conspiracy theories have misleadingly linked the cell towers to the coronavirus pandemic. The BBC reports that at least three 5G towers were set alight within the last week, and police and fire services were called to extinguish the flames.

“I’m absolutely outraged and disgusted that people would be taking action against the infrastructure we need to tackle this emergency,” said Stephen Powis, the National Health Service (NHS) director, at a daily UK coronavirus briefing. Police have now launched investigations into how the 5G towers caught fire.

Rumors and conspiracy theories over a link between the roll out of 5G and the spread of coronavirus have been spread primarily through social media networks. A variety of groups exist on Facebook and Nextdoor, where thousands of members repeat false and misleading claims that 5G is supposedly harmful.

One theory claims that the novel coronavirus originated in Wuhan because the Chinese city had recently been rolling out 5G. It’s now supposedly spread to other cities that are also using 5G. These false conspiracy theories neglect to mention that a highly contagious virus would naturally spread more in densely populated cities with access to 5G, and that the coronavirus pandemic has hit counties like Iran and Japan where 5G isn’t in use yet."[...]

Offline BasilValentine

• Veteran member
« Reply #1087 on: April 04, 2020, 06:37:13 PM »
There have been nearly 1.400 deaths in the U.S. from Covid-19 in the last 24 hours.

Offline Kaga2

Mostly before 1900, but it’s not a rule
« Reply #1088 on: April 04, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
There have been nearly 1.400 deaths in the U.S. from Covid-19 in the last 24 hours.
And every day I fight with denialists on the web. One fool predicted 7500 dead in the US for the entire epidemic. I said we past that already. Response:
“We are well past that already."

You don't know that. You know what you're told. Believing it uncritically is a giveaway that, despite your advanced years, maybe you're not very bright.

Testing accuracy has been a major concern for this entire crisis. That's to be expected with a new disease - that being what "novel" in "Novel Coronavirus" means, after all.

So why do you believe these numbers? Do you REALLY believe that every death cert with "COVID-19" listed as a primary or contributing cause is 100% correct?

I am willing to bet the 5G arsonists are easier to reason with.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1089 on: April 04, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
And every day I fight with denialists on the web. One fool predicted 7500 dead in the US for the entire epidemic. I said we past that already. Response:
I am willing to bet the 5G arsonists are easier to reason with.

It's like a mental version of the grey goo of apocalyptic science fiction.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1090 on: April 04, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1091 on: Today at 12:07:18 AM »
It's one thing to make your own masks, but there is a value in not getting TOO artistic...

;D 
8)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Honestly, I can't stand wearing a mask, it gets moistured on the inside in less than a minute and becomes extremely uncomfortable in five. I really tried but I can't.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:11:34 AM by Florestan »
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1092 on: Today at 12:09:49 AM »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen