Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: seen on imdb.comThe Best Movies of the 80s. Literally!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

North Star

Perhaps it means books based on the best movies of the 80s.  ;D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The Six

Seems like more and more people don't realize that there's a "d" at the end of some words, e.g. "You're not suppose to do that," "I use to shop there," etc. Man, we're getting dumber.

Opus106

Quote from: The Six on April 10, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
"You're not suppose to do that," "I use to shop there," etc. Man, we're getting dumber.

Just read it aloud, silly; there's a D-sound there, somewhere ;D...I think.  :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

Cato

Quote from: The Six on April 10, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Seems like more and more people don't realize that there's a "d" at the end of some words, e.g. "You're not suppose to do that," "I use to shop there," etc. Man, we're getting dumber.

Quote from: Opus106 on April 10, 2012, 08:51:07 PM
Just read it aloud, silly; there's a D-sound there, somewhere ;D...I think.  :-\

Yes, I hope it is smeared into a contraction.  The real test would be to have the seeming offenders write down what they have said!

The Six (and are you referring to the composers or    $:)   to Patrick McGoohan?) fears we are getting dumber: the spread of things like "I could care less" which is replacing the correct "I could not care less" might indicate a widening stultification  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Then, too, there are historical cases of the -d being dropped (iced cream -> ice cream). That said, not suppose to is entirely A.B. (Arrant Blockheaddom).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: Cato on April 11, 2012, 03:44:50 AM
The real test would be to have the seeming offenders write down what they have said!

It's likely that The Six came across statements like these in writing, because, unless they were from someone with a clear pronunciation, it's hard to differentiate, for example, 'supposed to' and 'suppose to' in casual speech (the 'D' sound is there, you know ;D). And if that person was so careful about pronunciation, he or she probably wouldn't make such a silly mistake. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

eyeresist

Cato

Quote from: eyeresist on April 11, 2012, 06:00:21 PM
could of
would of
should of

Oy!  Such schmendricks these days!

Karl Henning

The character Groucho never played: Marzipan Schmendrick.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

A new fact!

QuoteSchmendrick - "stupid person," from Yiddish Shmendrik, from the name of a character in an operetta by Avrom Goldfaden (1840-1908), Father of Yiddish Theater.

Kontrapunctus

Karl Henning

Finally reading Albert Schweitzer's classic book on Bach!  I suppose this must be in translation, still . . . is The music among which Bach grew up good English?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2012, 04:14:51 AM
Finally reading Albert Schweitzer's classic book on Bach!  I suppose this must be in translation, still . . . is The music among which Bach grew up good English?

It's more awkward* than incorrect.  Perhaps this is a case of translationitis?  We'd probably write it a completely different way ("the music Bach heard as he grew up...." or something similar), which is why this sounds wrong. 

*just realized how awkward the spelling of that word seems to me.  Which is, perhaps, fitting.

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2012, 04:14:51 AMFinally reading Albert Schweitzer's classic book on Bach!  I suppose this must be in translation, still . . . is The music among which Bach grew up good English?

Hmm... I would say "amidst", "amongst" at a pinch.

What's the difference between "among" and "amongst", apart from the spelling?

Cato

Quote from: eyeresist on April 16, 2012, 05:41:33 PM

From the sources I have available, they are equivalent.  I avoid "amongst" and prefer "among" just for the sake of simplicity.

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2012, 04:14:51 AM

I would need to see the original Deutsch: is it possible Schweitzer wrote "unter"?  Besides meaning "under" it can also mean "among."  Perhaps implied is the influence of the music "under which" Bach grew up.

kishnevi

Quote from: eyeresist on April 16, 2012, 05:41:33 PM

Eureka!
That's why the sentence doesn't sound correct.  The wrong preposition was used.  It would better, albeit capable of improvement, if "amid" had been used instead of "among".

"X was among Y" suggests that X was a member of a set of Ys.  "X was amid Y" suggests that X was physically located somewhere in the middle of a group of Ys.

"Bach was among many musicians in his family"--Bach was one of several musicians in his family.
"Bach was amid many musicians in his family"--Bach was (at the time under discussion) physically located in a group of family members who were musicians.

"Bach was among the bushes"--Bach was part of a group of bushes,  Bach himself being one of the bushes.
"Bach was amid the bushes"--Bach was talking a stroll in the garden.

The sentence as translated therefore carries the mental image that Bach was one of the types or pieces of music under discussion., rather than the mental image the translator wanted to convey, which was that Bach was physically located in place where certain pieces or types of music were to be found.

Credit for the goal should go to eyeresist.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on April 16, 2012, 05:58:32 PM
I would need to see the original Deutsch: is it possible Schweitzer wrote "unter"?  Besides meaning "under" it can also mean "among."  Perhaps implied is the influence of the music "under which" Bach grew up.

Interesting!  And . . . I think Schweitzer was Alsatian, so did he write originally in German or French?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wendell_E

Quote from: karlhenning on April 17, 2012, 05:11:35 AM
Interesting!  And . . . I think Schweitzer was Alsatian, so did he write originally in German or French?

Interesting.  According to wikipedia, he originally wrote it in French, there was a demand for a German edition, but instead of just translating it, he decided to rewrite it.  Ernest Newman translated it into English from the German.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain