Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

On the plus side, snyprrr has found his long lost brother.

Karl Henning

Oh, gracious.  What if . . . ?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sean

Florestan, good morning.

QuoteStructures are subject to a higher judgement principle: coherence

In recent years I've moved away from the colon and such formations as this. They're like an excessive use of italics or cute point making and there are always better ways of stating things more straightforwardly. I reserve colons for introducing major sections of information, otherwise I it's the dash and semicolon.

Quote...thoughts are so sophisticated that English grammar and its rules can´t cope with them

Well language certainly shapes thought, and its worth trying to go beyond that sometimes.

Yes I object to incorrect English, but as I've tried to say, that does not mean following rules. Good English is based on judgement of words and syntax and even if all possible rules could be written down they wouldn't displace this criterioin.

QuoteI also walk the streets further from the port road, being likewise pleasant, sleepy and safe.

Again you're taking that out of context, and if a sentence's meaning is immediately clear then you don't need further linguistic dogmatism.

Florestan

Quote from: Sean on February 25, 2015, 09:44:31 PM
Florestan, good morning.

´Morning to you.

Yes I object to incorrect English, but as I've tried to say, that does not mean following rules.
Me am sorry, but this is nonsensic. Incorrectical English is thus with a reason, being exackly that had been broken the rules.

Does the above phrase make any sense to you? Of course not, because I broke about as many rules as I could, starting off with the one you broke yourself claiming that it was actually right to do so. Let´s restate it correctly (ie, following the rules).

I am sorry, but this is nonsense. Incorrect English is incorrect for a reason, namely it breaks the rules.

Good English is based on judgement of words and syntax and even if all possible rules could be written down they wouldn't displace this criterioin.

Good English, just like good Romanian or good Quechua or good whatnot, is based on three things: vocabulary, grammar and syntax. Whether you like it or not, whether it suits you or not, all three have rules. Breaking them wil result in bad English. "Them know" is just as bad English as "strickly".

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

I'd say it's worse. Grammatical errors are more serious than spelling mistakes, IMO. And putting the subject of a sentence in the accusative case is among the most fundamental grammatical errors one can commit...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sean

You two, I didn't say them know.

It might have followed from the sentence but I didn't say it. They and them had their functions in the sentence and are both fine.

I don't think you're going to see this so I'll agree to disagree. Another topic perhaps.

Florestan

Quote from: Sean on February 26, 2015, 12:49:15 AM

It might have followed from the sentence but I didn't say it. They and them had their functions in the sentence and are both fine.

You´re right, you didn´t say it. You wrote it.

Quote from: Sean on February 22, 2015, 12:22:03 PMI know a few French phrases and them a few English.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Jo498 on February 26, 2015, 12:38:27 AM
I'd say it's worse. Grammatical errors are more serious than spelling mistakes, IMO. And putting the subject of a sentence in the accusative case is among the most fundamental grammatical errors one can commit...
What was that famous headline? J'accusative?

Ken B

QuoteI know a few French phrases and them a few English.

I can make this work! With a little punctuation.

Cato asked me if I knew some phrases in German. And I said to Cato, "Those prases?  I know them.  I also know phrases in French, and just a few in English. I know a few french phrases, and them, a few English. Lots of phrases."

Christo

Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2015, 05:26:51 AM
I can make this work! With a little punctuation.

Cato asked me if I knew some phrases in German. And I said to Cato, "Those prases?  I know them.  I also know phrases in French, and just a few in English. I know a few french phrases, and them, a few English. Lots of phrases."

Your grammar is fine indeed. But now your French capital is wrong.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on February 25, 2015, 09:44:40 AM
There is in fact. It is the same purpose served by wearing tie-died shirts or shopping at Whole Foods.

By their tie-dyed apparel shall ye now them.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Yes, you did: it is understood from the opening "I know."  If not, then please tell us which verb is supposed to go with the incorrect "them."

I don't think you're going to see this so I'll agree to disagree. Another topic perhaps.

There is no idea of "might" involved: "know" MUST follow from the sentence.

You can agree with yourself.  The world will disagree with you.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sean

Because I didn't actually say it, I can get away with it just fine; it's clearer as it is.

aquablob

Sean is right in general principle but wrong in the specific case.

Yes, it's sometimes perfectly idiomatic to use an objective pronoun where a subjective one is technically called for, or vice versa. For example, a colloquial it's me or who do you love? is usually preferable to the "correct" alternative, which would raise eyebrows. And frankly, if following a "rule" of Standard English would cause a majority of educated speakers to think that you're an obnoxious pedant, then the rule isn't a rule at all.

But the present they/them question is an opposite situation.

Ken B

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 26, 2015, 08:00:43 AM
Sean is right in general principle but wrong in the specific case.
... the present they/them question [he is wrong].

"Prefer the specific to the general, the definite to the vague, the concrete to the abstract."

(I am quoting scripture here  :blank:)

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2015, 08:23:52 AM

"Prefer the specific to the general, the definite to the vague, the concrete to the abstract."

Of course. Any Orthodox Christian monk worth of his name would urge you to do the same.  :blank:

jochanaan

"Prefer the specific to the general...
If I'm fighting a war, I don't think I want a specific to lead my armies! ;D
Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2015, 08:23:52 AMthe definite to the vague
Or to Vogue? ;)
Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2015, 08:23:52 AMthe concrete to the abstract."
That last is true, when you're building buildings; I can't stand on "abstract." :laugh: Although I'd want an abstract in hand before I bought the land...
Whose scripture? :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

North Star

Quote from: jochanaan on February 26, 2015, 10:20:27 AM
If I'm fighting a war, I don't think I want a specific to lead my armies! ;D
So you don't want a specific general to lead the army?

QuoteOr to Vogue? ;)
That last is true, when you're building buildings; I can't stand on "abstract." :laugh: Although I'd want an abstract in hand before I bought the land...Whose scripture? :)
The Elements of Style, by Oliver Strunk
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on February 26, 2015, 10:37:13 AM
So you don't want a specific general to lead the army?
The Elements of Style, by Oliver Strunk

I knew you would recognize it!