Andre Previn .... best recordings

Started by alkan, February 16, 2009, 05:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alkan

I just bought an Andre Previn CD in the GROC series ..... Britten :  Sea Interludes and Sinfonia da Requiem and Holst : Perfect Fool.    IMHO this is great music making and the sound quality is excellent.      I also know Previn's acclaimed version of Walton's 1st symphony.

Does anyone have recommendations for other Previn "must-have's"     (or disappointments to avoid).

Thanks
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

Daverz

He was very good in Vaughan Williams, Rachmaninoff, and Shostakovich (which doesn't have the brutality of a Russian recording, but is still very good of its kind.)  His Rustic Wedding Symphony is one of the best and is coming out in an EMI twofer in March.  I was disappointed with his Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet, though.

Herman

I'm afraid he's mostly forgettable. Whenever I take out one of his seventies recordings I start to notice how bad the ensemble is and how unimaginative the conducting is. I guess he just recorded too much.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

His old Shostakovich 5th with the LSO is my favorite recording of the piece (despite a couple of sonic glitches) - I even prefer it to the famous Bernstein recording.

I like his Vaughan Williams too, generally speaking.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

rubio

This is my favourite Previn recording and maybe my favourite Manfred. The LSO plays beautifully and Previn's performance gives a lot of insight into the music. It was like hearing the music for the first time. Previn and the LSO had generally a very fruitful co-operation in Russian repertoire. It was Previn's golden days and produced several excellent recordings. Previn has also produced a lot of mediocre/OK stuff in other settings.

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Manfred-Symphony-Overture-Romeo-Rachmaninov/dp/B000002SFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234800587&sr=1-1

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

DarkAngel

Quote from: Daverz on February 16, 2009, 06:47:28 AM
He was very good in Vaughan Williams, Rachmaninoff, and Shostakovich (which doesn't have the brutality of a Russian recording, but is still very good of its kind.)  His Rustic Wedding Symphony is one of the best and is coming out in an EMI twofer in March.  I was disappointed with his Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet, though.

I also think the Previn work which stands out most vs competition is his Vaughn Williams RCA set, almost every other composer you can find better versions compared to Previn's version, VW just more naturally fits Previns style

Coopmv

Andre Previn and Leonard Bernstein are the only two American conductors whose recordings are reasonably well represented in my 6000 some recordings.  My collection tends to be very Euro-centric - very few American orchestras or ensembles ...

B_cereus

also, any recommends for his best piano recordings?

as he was recognized by Phillips as among the Great Pianists of the 20th Century

jwinter

I've had this since I was a teenager, my intro to Prokofiev (and 20th century Russian music in general, most likely).  Great sound quality (demonstration-class back in the day), and a ripping performance -- very good for waking up the neighbors.  ;D

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Coopmv

Quote from: B_cereus on February 16, 2009, 12:14:57 PM
also, any recommends for his best piano recordings?

as he was recognized by Phillips as among the Great Pianists of the 20th Century

Believe it or not, the few recordings I have where Previn played piano were actually from my small venture into the jazz world.  Andre Previn was a jazz pianist at some point.

The new erato

eyeresist

In the Vaughan Williams symphonies Previn is usually best or equal to the best. The complete set is very inexpensive, so if you're exploring Previn as conductor it's a great place to start. Unfortunately I haven't yet heard his Rachmaninov symphonies; his accompaniments to Ashkenazy in the concertos were first class. I've heard his Shostakovich 4 and 5 - well done but not a match for the very best (Kondrashin, Mravinsky, et al.).

Coopmv

Quote from: eyeresist on February 16, 2009, 04:38:01 PM
In the Vaughan Williams symphonies Previn is usually best or equal to the best. The complete set is very inexpensive, so if you're exploring Previn as conductor it's a great place to start.

I have the set by Previn.  While it may be inexpensive, I don't think there are many choices out there either for the complete set.

Holden

Along with the Ormandy/Philadelphia this could be described as definitive
Cheers

Holden

val

The best thing I heard from Previn: Ravel, "L'Enfant et les sortilèges". He recorded this opera twice. I prefer the DG version (1999), with Pamela Stephen. It includes a very good version of Ma Mère L'Oye.

mc ukrneal

His Rachmaninov 2 has long been a popular one.

But personally, I think one of his best performances is Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, which can often be found for under $10.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

dirkronk

I'll second much of Previn's VW, his Rach symphonies, the Walton and Orff and Rustic Wedding Symphony. All very good. But I'll add two that I think are exceptionally worthy: his Copland Red Pony (originally on American Columbia, now Sony) and his Mahler 4th Symphony (an EMI recording with Pittsburgh SO and Elly Ameling...it maintains status in my collection even along side Szell and Reiner, my usual favorites in that piece).

Cheers,

Dirk

Daverz

He recorded the Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 three times.  I have the RCA one, which is cut.  I think the EMI one is more commonly recommended.  (Oddly, the Temirkanov pictured below by Rubio is actually one of my favorites of this symphony, and I haven't gotten around to listening to the Manfred!)

dirkronk

Quote from: Daverz on February 17, 2009, 09:20:41 AM
He recorded the Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 three times.  I have the RCA one, which is cut.  I think the EMI one is more commonly recommended. 

The EMI set of Rach symphonies (on LP) is the one I'm best acquainted with. I very much like his 2 and 3 in that set--1 is OK but not quite on the same performance level as the other two.

Cheers,

Dirk