Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

How about Gurn's favorite atonalists list? ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 19, 2009, 10:47:35 AM
"Gurn's Post-Gurnian Era Tonalists by Gurn Blanston"

Get on that too.

Boy, there's some nice ones on that list. I like about half the composers in the 19th century, so I guess they'd all make it. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 19, 2009, 10:49:29 AM
How about Gurn's favorite atonalists list? ;D

When they talk about making the short list, that'll be this one... ;D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dr. Dread

Dr. Dread

Has Gurn even ventured forth into the 20th century to find tonalism?

Opus106

Quote from: MN Dave on August 19, 2009, 10:52:46 AM
Navneeth,

You got it. Heh.

Huh? What?

:D

Anyway, the following is the list (I deleted):

Regards,
Navneeth

Dr. Dread

Quote from: opus106 on August 19, 2009, 10:54:19 AM
Huh? What?

:D

Anyway, the following is the list (I deleted):

Stop trying to confuse me.  >:(

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 19, 2009, 10:53:19 AM

Sure. Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Bartok (sorta tonal), Bloch, Rachmaninoff, several others of that persuasion. We are not barbarians, Dave... :)

Also we are quite fond of Stravinsky and R. Strauss, although we wouldn't want it bandied about... ;)

8)

Maciek

Do I detect a whiff of sydneygrewism?

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 11:46:09 AM
Sure. Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Bartok (sorta tonal), Bloch, Rachmaninoff, several others of that persuasion. We are not barbarians, Dave... :)

Also we are quite fond of Stravinsky and R. Strauss, although we wouldn't want it bandied about... ;)

8)

Hm. I'll take Rachmaninoff out of that bunch.

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on August 19, 2009, 10:53:19 AM

Gurn has heard music of the 21st century! He even likes some of it!

karlhenning

Quote from: Maciek on August 19, 2009, 11:53:21 AM

Thought it was getting a little punky in here  ;D 8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Maciek on August 19, 2009, 11:53:21 AM

;D

More than a whiff, a positive stink. :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 19, 2009, 11:53:31 AM
Hm. I'll take Rachmaninoff out of that bunch.

Not a bad choice. You might give Bloch a try, something like his concert piece for cello & orchestra (Solomon (Schelomo)). Very nice. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2009, 12:07:54 PM
Gurn has heard music of the 21st century! He even likes some of it!

Sad but true. Post-Gurnian in the extreme  :o :o

8)

Maciek

He has actually listened to a certain Pawel Szymanski piece TWICE! :o

Maciek

Quote from: DavidW on August 18, 2009, 08:20:24 AM
I would rather crap in Gurn's thread. ;D

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 12:21:28 PM
;D

More than a whiff, a positive stink. :D

8)

Oh, the stuff people miss by staying away from this thread...

DavidW

Quote from: Maciek on August 19, 2009, 01:07:52 PM
Oh, the stuff people miss by staying away from this thread...

That was a great convenient alignment. ;D

SonicMan46

Well, a number of pages back Gurn brought up the composer below w/o much response - there is a thread on Vanhal that has not received much 'serious' attention, so tonight I left a post (quoted below) in that thread after receiving a 'new' recording of Piano Quintets by him today - thought that those on the Gurn Classical Thread might be interested - Dave  :)

Quote from: SonicMan on August 19, 2009, 04:44:48 PM
Well, time to get this thread back on track, esp. since I've just received an excellent disc of his Piano Quintets, described later:

Johann Baptist Vanhal (1739-1813), born in Bohemia and trained early by local muscians; because of his excellent violin playing he was taken to Vienna in the early 1760s and given lessons by Dittersdorf; he eventually was well accepted into Viennese society as a performer, composer, and conductor; as Poju stated in a post, he was certainly one of the early muscians to make a comfortable living without the need of royal patronage.  Another 'claim to fame' is that he was often a member of the probably the most famous Quartet of the Era, i.e. often playing w/ Mozart, Haydn, & Dittersdorf - BOY, can you imagine just being there!  8)

In the old forum, Gurn started a Vanhal Thread, which just went for a few pages (I was there along w/ others); not too many recommendations made but a short bio given; for those interested, check out the bios on Wiki and on Naxos - despite his obscurity now, he was a well known & respected 'all around' musician in Vienna at the height of its classical glory!

Vanhal was a prolific composer - just a short quote from the Wiki article 'and attributed to him are 100 quartets, at least 73 symphonies, 95 sacred works, and a large number of instrumental and vocal works' - plenty of chamber music!  Personally, I now own just a half dozen discs of Vanhal's music:  Symphonies on Naxos & Chandos (more releases have been made on Naxos); Oboe Quartets on Helios w/ Sarah Francis; Double Bass Concertos on Hyperion (w/ Dittersdorf; not thrilled w/ this disc); and String Quartets w/ Kubin Quartet on Ceska - HEY, I'm just scratching the surface!  :-\

My most recent Vanhal acquisition is shown below, i.e. Piano Quintets, Op. 12 w/ Miklos Spanyi on fortepiano & Authentic Quartet on period instruments; excellent review recently in the last issue of the American Record Guide - on first listen this is an outstanding production; Spanyi is superb on the fortepiano & the recorded sound well done.

If you are interested in music of this period, then this is a composer to explore seriously -  :D