Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

(As promised...)

A recommended list of works: Antonín Rejcha (1770-1836)

• Overture in C major, op. 24
  • Quartet for four flutes, op. 27
  • 36 fugues for keyboard, op. 36
  • Symphony in E flat major, op. 41
  • "L'art de varier", 57 variations for keyboard, op. 57
  • 24 trios for three horns, op. 82
  • 6 wind quintets, op. 88
  • Clarinet quintet in B major, op. 89
  • 6 wind quintets, op. 91
  • 6 flute quartets, op. 98
  • 6 wind quintets, op. 99
  • 6 wind quintets, op. 100
  • 6 piano trios, op. 101
  • Flute quintet in A minor, op. 105
  • Horn quintet in E major, op. 106
  • Oboe quintet in F major, op. 107
  • Bassoon quintet in B major
  • Piano quintet in C minor
  • Overture in D major (5/4)
  • Symphony in F minor
  • Piano concerto in E flat major
  • Requiem
  • Der Neue Psalm
  • Te Deum
  • Lenore, cantata

This list is the selection, while the works in bold are "the selection of the selection". Rejcha's music has not been well treated by recording companies; many of these works are just available in versions that could easily be improved in performance as well as in the recording itself.

The most evident "hole" in Rejcha recordings is certainly the one of the string quartets. I've read on the internet some impressions from people who have listened to them, saying that they sounded advanced to their time. I can't say that it is thus, but it's not impossible that Rejcha could have done in string quartets what he did sometimes in other fields (e.g., there are sections of the overture op. 24 that point clearly to Brahms or the late Russian romantics). The other field missing is stage music. Rejcha seems to have acknowledged his opera Sapho as his best work. As far as I know, it hasn't been recorded, even if an almost complete score has survived.

The first approach to Rejcha should be done through the wind quintets and the wind+string quartet quintets. A couple of winners from these sets should be enough to form a sufficient idea: for example, out of the wind quintets, op. 88 n. 5 (B flat major) and op. 91 n. 4 (G minor); out of the wind+string quartet quintets, the flute quintet, the oboe quintet, or the bassoon quintet. The piano trios are wonderful but quite difficult to find. The flute quartets op. 98 are a compendium of formal originality, but they are extremely difficult to find.

Orchestral works haven't been well served by recording companies. The best introduction would be, in spite of being far from ideal, the D+G CD containing the 5/4 overture, the E flat symphony and a sinfonia concertante. The overture op. 24 (a favourite of mine) is, as far as I know, just available from a Czech recording company that has been re-released by a German company and should still be available in JPC (if I'm not mistaken, it includes the E flat major symphony and a wind quintet). Recordings of other symphonies are difficult to find, and I could just add that the recorded symphonies are waiting for an inspirational flair from Chandos and Bamert).

Special mention for the fugues op. 36. As the CPO recording is no longer available, people disliking fortepiano should go for Milan Langer's partial recording in Supraphon. Otherwise, you can head towards Tuma's complete recording. And, finally, among vocal music, I guess Lenore is the starting point.

Dr. Dread

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 22, 2009, 02:00:35 PM
Never heard of him.

Well, you'll not be able to say that again. Gabriel has the atrocious habit of spelling things correctly ( :D ), so you may have actually heard of 'Reicha', since we've discussed him before.  ;)

Thanks greatly for that list, Gabriel. I checked my own selection since yesterday, and see that I have the starters OK. I have 8 of the Wind Quintets, the Clarinet Quintet, Oboe Quintet and Bassoon Quintet. In addition, I have the symphonies in c minor and f minor. Sadly, that's it. :(

But now I know what to keep my eyes open for. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Maria Rose, fortepiano - Hummel Op 013 Sonata #2 in Eb for Fortepiano 1st mvmt - Allegro con brio
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gabriel

I'm listening right now to Rejcha's 29th fugue from op. 36, in D minor. What a beautiful music, somewhere between the worlds of Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, and Brahms (but composed a lot earlier).

Indeed, Rejcha's spelling varies quite a lot. In French, it is Antoine Reicha. Other frequent version is Anton Reicha.

Being a native Spanish speaker, I guess I should write Antonio Reicha. ;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gabriel on August 22, 2009, 03:33:22 PM
Being a native Spanish speaker, I guess I should write Antonio Reicha. ;D

Or "Toño" Reicha, Gabriel.  ;D

Gabriel

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 23, 2009, 08:39:31 AM
Or "Toño" Reicha, Gabriel.  ;D

Justement! "Toñito", for the friends. ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 22, 2009, 09:21:20 AM

Replies 701, 703 and 723 are real gems; they are full of ideas, some intuitions and odd/delightful information.

Congratulations Florestan and Gurn! I have enjoyed every word.

:)

Thank you, Antoine. I join Gurn in inviting you to share your thoughts about the subject, if you will.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Gabriel on August 22, 2009, 03:33:22 PM
I'm listening right now to Rejcha's 29th fugue from op. 36, in D minor. What a beautiful music, somewhere between the worlds of Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, and Brahms (but composed a lot earlier).

Sounds very interesting. What's the year of composition then?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gabriel

Quote from: Florestan on August 23, 2009, 10:22:52 AM
Sounds very interesting. What's the year of composition then?

1803 (at least, year of publication). The whole set is very interesting, Rejcha intending to favour a change from the traditional fugue patterns, with polyrhythms and tonal relationships other than tonic-dominant.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gabriel on August 22, 2009, 01:36:57 PM
Special mention for the fugues op. 36. As the CPO recording is no longer available, people disliking fortepiano should go for Milan Langer's partial recording in Supraphon. Otherwise, you can head towards Tuma's complete recording.

Antonín Rejcha: 36 fugues
Jaroslav Tůma - fortepiano Anton Walter, 1790
2CD
Arta Records
TT- 133 min.,  released 5/2006

An interesting essay and some samples are provided on the Arta website:

http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10146en&site=en

:)

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 23, 2009, 12:39:44 PM
;D

:D

I like the way they say "Want the whole list? Put it in your cart!" and the whole list is like $600+. If I ever fell for that, I wonder what the damage would be. By that, I mean 'what would my wife inflict on me?'. ;)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Tafelmusik \ Weil - Hob 01 052 Symphony in c 2nd mvmt - Andante

Dr. Dread

Still working on your top 100 list, Gurn?  $:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 24, 2009, 05:56:13 AM
Still working on your top 100 list, Gurn?  $:)

Oh yeah, Dave. It is surprisingly not easy...  0:)

8)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 24, 2009, 06:21:22 AM
Oh yeah, Dave. It is surprisingly not easy...  0:)

8)

It's quite the task I've set for you.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 24, 2009, 06:22:11 AM
It's quite the task I've set for you.  ;D

You're a hard man, Dave...  :-\

8)

ChamberNut

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 24, 2009, 06:47:42 AM
You're a hard man, Dave...  :-\

8)

Just think of it as a request from Prince Dave, just like in the 'ole Haydn days.  Surely, you do not want to test the Prince's patience now, do you?!  ;D

ChamberNut

;D

I'm thinking Gurn might just flex his Moderator muscles to remove that Prince photo from The Corner thread.   $:)