Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dread

Karl, don't confuse old Gurn. He only uses Classical tobacco.

karlhenning

Oops!  I guess I thought of the thread too much in G.E. (Gurnian Era) terms  8)

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on August 31, 2009, 07:55:29 AM

No Baroque weed for Gurn!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 31, 2009, 07:55:29 AM

Are they calling it 'tobacco' nowadays? Back in MY day... ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2009, 07:55:57 AM
Oops!  I guess I thought of the thread too much in G.E. (Gurnian Era) terms  8)

Well yeah, but Couperin died in 1701. That's broad even by MY standards!   ;D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 31, 2009, 07:57:24 AM
Well yeah, but Couperin died in 1701. That's broad even by MY standards!   ;D

8)

Le Grand est mort en 1733. (Je dis, simplement.)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 31, 2009, 07:56:32 AM
Are they calling it 'tobacco' nowadays? Back in MY day... ;)

8)

"Dave's not here."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2009, 07:59:54 AM
Le Grand est mort en 1733. (Je dis, simplement.)

Ah, well I was going by the link you posted;

François (1631-1701) musician

not having read further down the list to find;

François the Great (3) (1668-1733)

Bear in mind. also, Karl, that they were French... :-\

8)

karlhenning

Why do you think they have this outrageous accent?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 31, 2009, 08:01:52 AM
"Dave's not here."

*Knock knock*

"Who is it?"

"It's Dave, man, let me in..."

"Dave? Dave's not here"

;D

8)

Chaszz

Classical era fans, please see the post below on the General board titled "Living Away from Home When Home is Available." I hope I am not violating any rules by drawing attention from here to that thread which I would appreciate your input on, in case there are any experts here who browse here only. 

SonicMan46

Haydn, Joseph - Piano Trios w/ the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt; 8-CD set using a modern piano but played in a fashion reminding me more of the fortepiano - just half way through this set; a total of 39 works are recorded; so far quite impressed w/ this group - some excellent reviews quoted on the Naxos Website - my other set is also shown below, i.e. Van Swieten Trio using a fortepiano - love this set, also; for the price of these boxes & depending on the instruments preferred, difficult to see either one being a disappointment - no longer have my BAT 2-CD sampler, so will not be able to make a comparison.   :D

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on September 05, 2009, 10:48:37 AM
Haydn, Joseph - Piano Trios w/ the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt; 8-CD set using a modern piano but played in a fashion reminding me more of the fortepiano - just half way through this set; a total of 39 works are recorded; so far quite impressed w/ this group - some excellent reviews quoted on the Naxos Website - my other set is also shown below, i.e. Van Swieten Trio using a fortepiano - love this set, also; for the price of these boxes & depending on the instruments preferred, difficult to see either one being a disappointment - no longer have my BAT 2-CD sampler, so will not be able to make a comparison.   :D

I see you've been playing Haydn Seek  ;D

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Sorin Eushayson

Speaking of Haydn, I just bought a truckload of discs of his brother, Mike.  It seems odd to me that he is less known than he is, especially when you consider he was even more popular than Mozart at the time of the latter's death.  I wonder what Gurn thinks about JM...?

DavidW

I love Michael Haydn's trumpet concerto. :)

I recently got into trouble with Karl for calling it one of the greatest of the classical era. ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on September 05, 2009, 10:48:37 AM

Nice acquisition, Dave. I found the place in the Big Box where this group is playing; they play the (virtually) entire Hob. XIV, which are divertimentos and concertinos for keyboard and friends. In many cases, scarcely more than a piano trio anyway. I almost pulled the trigger on the 2 disk set and then I realized there was no purpose if it was in the big box  ::)  Glad they sound good though, since I have no other versions of these works to go by. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to: 
Philharmonia Hungarica \ Dorati - Hob 09 16 #22 Minuet in d for Orchestra

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sorin Eushayson on September 05, 2009, 12:22:42 PM
Speaking of Haydn, I just bought a truckload of discs of his brother, Mike.  It seems odd to me that he is less known than he is, especially when you consider he was even more popular than Mozart at the time of the latter's death.  I wonder what Gurn thinks about JM...?

I like JMH, although I don't think he is the equal of Joseph in purely instrumental music. His forte was church music, and I understand he was premier at it. I haven't got any though. :-\  Ihave that box of 20 symphonies, and a few divertimentos. Generally, quite nice. :)

8)

Gabriel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2009, 01:01:49 PM
I like JMH, although I don't think he is the equal of Joseph in purely instrumental music. His forte was church music, and I understand he was premier at it. I haven't got any though. :-\  Ihave that box of 20 symphonies, and a few divertimentos. Generally, quite nice. :)

8)

I haven't bought too many CDs of his church music, but my impression is a very good one. I feel that his brother Franz Joseph wasn't kidding when he said that Michael's contribution to this field was better than his. (I think I expressed some time ago my good opinion on Michael Haydn's Missa Sancti Francisci... that wonderful final fugue for the Gloria..!) I also know a beautiful Missa Sancti Hieronymi (for wind instruments and voices), a truly majestic Missa Sancti Gotthardi, the Missa pro defuncto Archiepiscopo Segismundo (the model for Mozart's unfinished Requiem, and very clearly a model in some sections), and some minor works. I've liked them so much that I consider Michael Haydn's religious music is one of my priorities for future musical exploration.

On the other hand, as Gurn, I have not been very impressed with his instrumental works, but as I have listened just a few works, I'll be patient and consider this position of mine as transitory.

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Gabriel on September 05, 2009, 03:19:10 PM
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2009, 01:01:49 PM
I like JMH, although I don't think he is the equal of Joseph in purely instrumental music. His forte was church music, and I understand he was premier at it. I haven't got any though. :-\  Ihave that box of 20 symphonies, and a few divertimentos. Generally, quite nice. :)

8)

I haven't bought too many CDs of his church music, but my impression is a very good one. I feel that his brother Franz Joseph wasn't kidding when he said that Michael's contribution to this field was better than his. (I think I expressed some time ago my good opinion on Michael Haydn's Missa Sancti Francisci... that wonderful final fugue for the Gloria..!) I also know a beautiful Missa Sancti Hieronymi (for wind instruments and voices), a truly majestic Missa Sancti Gotthardi, the Missa pro defuncto Archiepiscopo Segismundo (the model for Mozart's unfinished Requiem, and very clearly a model in some sections), and some minor works. I've liked them so much that I consider Michael Haydn's religious music is one of my priorities for future musical exploration.

On the other hand, as Gurn, I have not been very impressed with his instrumental works, but as I have listened just a few works, I'll be patient and consider this position of mine as transitory.

Yes, I figured that was the case.  I'll probably become stark raving mad about his music, then, as I'm a sucker for great church music!  ::)  

A few of the incoming albums are of the symphonies, though (period instruments, of course ;) ).  What I've heard of them already I like; they seem to me more akin to Mozart's symphonies than FJ's, perhaps because both Wolfgang and Michael were stylistically Viennese...?

Gabriel

Quote from: Sorin Eushayson on September 05, 2009, 03:26:26 PM
A few of the incoming albums are of the symphonies, though (period instruments, of course ;) ).  What I've heard of them already I like; they seem to me more akin to Mozart's symphonies than FJ's, perhaps because both Wolfgang and Michael were stylistically Viennese...?

Here I'm just guessing, Sorin, but a plausible explanation would be that Mozart and Michael Haydn were composing in Salzburg before Mozart decided to go to Vienna. I'm sure Gurn can offer more facts on this subject than me! ;D