Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 21, 2009, 08:07:46 AM
A nice beginning is this disk:

which was first recommended ........good intros to Spohr, Viotti and Myslivecek for those who don't know them well, and a nice, rarely recorded piece by Schubert too. Walffisch is her typical excellent fiddler self. :)

Now, Guys - this Helios one disc introduction to ALL of these composers is just an ort to the offerings of these composers - inserted above is another collection of Spohr's Violin Concertos - 6 discs - just a wonderful collection; Viotti may have even more of these works!  I don't own as much, but plenty available!  And, as to composer under discussion, Myslivecek, the first CD that I posted was just excellent, and the 2nd volume is on its way - bottom line is that these composers wrote some just wonderful violin music; if you purchase that 'sampler' disc and enjoy, please explore more of these works -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on October 27, 2009, 05:50:45 PM
Now, Guys - this Helios one disc introduction to ALL of these composers is just an ort to the offerings of these composers - inserted above is another collection of Spohr's Violin Concertos - 6 discs - just a wonderful collection; Viotti may have even more of these works!  I don't own as much, but plenty available!  And, as to composer under discussion, Myslivecek, the first CD that I posted was just excellent, and the 2nd volume is on its way - bottom line is that these composers wrote some just wonderful violin music; if you purchase that 'sampler' disc and enjoy, please explore more of these works -  :D

Dave,
Yeah, I have some individual disks out of that Spohr set. Of course, violin was his instrument, and the concerto was his vehicle to fame, so if you expect very good, you won't be disappointed. Same is true with Viotti, although I am not aware of a complete set like the Spohr one. Pity, Viotti was a huge influence on the French Violin School which dominated the first half of the 19th century.

I was just going with the sampler in order to try to give something that would appeal to everyone, not just us 'completist' kind of guys. :D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 25 Quartet in E for Strings Op 17 #1 2nd mvmt - Menuet
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 27, 2009, 06:01:04 PM
Dave,
Yeah, I have some individual disks out of that Spohr set. Of course, violin was his instrument, and the concerto was his vehicle to fame, so if you expect very good, you won't be disappointed. Same is true with Viotti, although I am not aware of a complete set like the Spohr one. Pity, Viotti was a huge influence on the French Violin School which dominated the first half of the 19th century.

I was just going with the sampler in order to try to give something that would appeal to everyone, not just us 'completist' kind of guys. :Dt

Good evening, Gurn - great to start w/ a 'sampler' - the Spohr set is excellent; I need to explore Viotti more - just not sure at the moment, what may be available?  I guess my 'bottom line' is that those who may enjoy these works on a sampler disc, explore them more thoroughly - Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on October 27, 2009, 06:10:09 PM

Good evening, Gurn - great to start w/ a 'sampler' - the Spohr set is excellent; I need to explore Viotti more - just not sure at the moment, what may be available?  I guess my 'bottom line' is that those who may enjoy these works on a sampler disc, explore them more thoroughly - Dave  :)

Back at'cha, Dave.

I haven't really dug into Viotti to the extent he deserves. I have this disk, plus a Naxos one that his 2 sinfonia concertantes and 1 concerto on it. I like the music, but I didn't care for that disk at all, the performance was sleepytime.... :-\   However, it is very unlikely that there aren't some butt-kicking Viotti disks out there. Perhaps Gabriel, who now shares an adopted homeland with Viotti, has run across something commendable. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 25 Quartet in E for Strings Op 17 #1 4th mvmt - Finale: Presto

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 27, 2009, 06:14:58 PM
......... there aren't some butt-kicking Viotti disks out there. Perhaps Gabriel, who now shares an adopted homeland with Viotti, has run across something commendable. :)

Lookin' forward to any Viotti recommendations that can be made - need to acquire more of his works!  :)

BTW, for those interested in Mozart's Clarinet Works, I've been listening to a 'new' acquisition shown below w/ Fröst on the clarinet - just superb performances - discussed in the thread on Mozart & clarinet and a recommendation by Hornteacher - own the same clarinetist in some Brahms works - a recommendation!  :)

Gabriel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 27, 2009, 06:14:58 PM
However, it is very unlikely that there aren't some butt-kicking Viotti disks out there. Perhaps Gabriel, who now shares an adopted homeland with Viotti, has run across something commendable. :)

Unfortunately - and shamefully - I don't have any CDs by Viotti. I had once in my hands a set of complete violin concertos released by Dynamic, I doubted about buying it... and I didn't. I hope to get it one day (as well as the Spohr set).

Gabriel

Quote from: SonicMan on October 27, 2009, 06:28:30 PM
BTW, for those interested in Mozart's Clarinet Works, I've been listening to a 'new' acquisition shown below w/ Fröst on the clarinet - just superb performances - discussed in the thread on Mozart & clarinet and a recommendation by Hornteacher - own the same clarinetist in some Brahms works - a recommendation!  :)

Dave, I have Fröst's recording of the Crusell clarinet concertos, and I was really impressed. Totally recommended (the Crusell concertos are extraordinary works, by the way).

karlhenning

Quote from: Gabriel on October 28, 2009, 03:28:38 AM
Unfortunately - and shamefully - I don't have any CDs by Viotti.

Unless I'm missing something . . . there ain't no shame in that.

;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 28, 2009, 04:16:40 AM
Unless I'm missing something . . . there ain't no shame in that.

;)

Well, sometimes you do miss a thing or two, Karl. It's OK, as they say in Boston "there ain't no shame in that". :D

8)

karlhenning

;D

Not saying that Viotti is banned in Boston.  (For all I know, he gets lots of play on WCRB . . . .)

>:D 0:) ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 28, 2009, 04:39:30 AM
;D

Not saying that Viotti is banned in Boston.  (For all I know, he gets lots of play on WCRB . . . .)

>:D 0:) ;)

Yes, but doesn't that fall into the "damn with faint praise" category?  ;)

Viotti deserves better. Just sayin'...

8)

karlhenning

Well, the first movement of that there G.98 . . . surprisingly Mozartean, is it not?  ;)

The sound clips promise a nice, enjoyable listen.

But . . . a lack of recordings, shameful?  I cannot endorse this confusion of shame with regret  0:)

karlhenning

Nice flute quartets, too, I should think.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 28, 2009, 05:00:56 AM
Well, the first movement of that there G.98 . . . surprisingly Mozartean, is it not?  ;)

The sound clips promise a nice, enjoyable listen.

But . . . a lack of recordings, shameful?  I cannot endorse this confusion of shame with regret  0:)

Ah yes, that was regrettable...

I guess I thought you were Dittersdorfing Viotti... :D

G 98?  ¿Que?

8)

karlhenning

Dittersdorfing Viotti? Not I!  Lucchesifying him, maybe.

G.98 is one of them there Violin Concerti (№ 23)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 28, 2009, 05:11:21 AM
Dittersdorfing Viotti? Not I!  Lucchesifying him, maybe.

G.98 is one of them there Violin Concerti (№ 23)

Oh, well in that case... :)

Ah. I only ever called it #23... :-\

8)

karlhenning

If wikipedia is reliable, it seems that the chap who catalogued Viotti's works was Remo Giazotto.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 28, 2009, 05:31:14 AM
If wikipedia is reliable, it seems that the chap who catalogued Viotti's works was Remo Giazotto.

Man, I don't know... guys named 'Remo' always make me a little flitty... :-\

I suppose in this instance, we can extend them a bit of credibility. Who could have made that up?   :)

8)

springrite

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 28, 2009, 05:19:47 AM
Oh, well in that case... :)

Ah. I only ever called it #23... :-\

8)

It should be illegal to composer more than 20 concerti for the same instrument that is not the piano.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

karlhenning