Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 28, 2010, 07:42:53 AM
Well, it came in a big symphony box set with the other stuff he's actually good at.  ;D

Yes, he certainly was good at what he was good at. And vice-versa... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Bernstein's still a bad ass in the Paris symphonies, even if he does use a huge orchestra. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on January 28, 2010, 09:03:13 AM
Bernstein's still a bad ass in the Paris symphonies, even if he does use a huge orchestra. :)

Well, I've said this before and not shy to say it again; one of my favorite Haydn symphony recordings is WP/Bernstein doing 88 & 92 on DGG. This is a very fine disk, even though it hurts me to say... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Gurn Blanston

karlhenning

You rang?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 28, 2010, 10:02:16 AM
Well, I've said this before and not shy to say it again; one of my favorite Haydn symphony recordings is WP/Bernstein doing 88 & 92 on DGG. This is a very fine disk, even though it hurts me to say... :D

Gurn - off subject, but how did you post count get to 24K+?  ???    ;) Dave

Scarpia

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 28, 2010, 07:42:53 AM
Well, it came in a big symphony box set with the other stuff he's actually good at.  ;D

Actually Karajan's Haydn can be quite interesting.  Not that I'd ever want to depend on Karajan as my only recording of a piece by Haydn.  He also recorded some Haydn with the VPO for Decca in the 60's, which I am curious to hear.

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan on January 28, 2010, 02:48:38 PM

You know nobody ever asks Karl that! :D  They just take it for granted, he is king of the post count. ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on January 28, 2010, 02:48:38 PM

I've been very busy, Dave. You must not have been paying attention... :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Concerto Köln / Jacobs - K 492 Opera buffa in 4 acts "Le nozze di Figaro" - ACT I 1 -  Duettino: Cinque... dieci... venti...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 28, 2010, 04:27:15 PM
I've been very busy, Dave. You must not have been paying attention... :)

Gurn - OK - must have been a Rip van Winkle experience, i.e. I arose one day and my dear friend had 6x the number of posts - boy, time flies when one is asleep!   ;D ;)  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on January 28, 2010, 05:32:16 PM
Gurn - OK - must have been a Rip van Winkle experience, i.e. I arose one day and my dear friend had 6x the number of posts - boy, time flies when one is asleep!   ;D ;)  Dave

:D

8)

----------------
Listening to: Concerto Köln / Jacobs - K 492 Opera buffa in 4 acts "Le nozze di Figaro" - ACT II  14 -  Esci, ormai, garzon malnato

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Scarpia on January 28, 2010, 02:55:30 PM
Actually Karajan's Haydn can be quite interesting.  Not that I'd ever want to depend on Karajan as my only recording of a piece by Haydn.  He also recorded some Haydn with the VPO for Decca in the 60's, which I am curious to hear.

Karajan recorded symphonies 103 and 104 and IMHO they trump the later recording big time. He more or less mummified his Haydn interpretations into humourless, starchy and overbig readings (the 1980s DG recordings of the Paris an dLondon symphonies). The Vienna 103 and 104 exhibit much more velour and relish. Originally coupled with Mozart symphonies 40 and 41 (same comment, though I much prefer his late Mozart to his late Haydn). Recommended if you can find it.

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 28, 2010, 10:02:16 AM

8)

It's now part of a box set DG issued of all their Bernstein Haydn recordings.  4 CDs, with #94 on the same disc as #88 and #92;  the Sinfonia Concertante, the Mass "in tempore belli" and The Creation.  The Creation is so so, especially compared to my other versions, but the rest sounds top notch to me.

Gabriel

Quote from: SonicMan on April 12, 2009, 10:24:57 AM
Of course, at the Baroque-Classical transition were the Bach sons & their father; at the other end, one good example would be Ferdinand Ries (1784-1838) - Wiki Bio HERE - Beethoven was a major influence; both composers were born in Bonn; Ries' father, Franz Anton (1755-1846) was a violin virtuoso in the Bonn court orchestra, and taught the young Beethoven to play violin, and also gave lessons in violin & piano to his son.  The younger Ries ended up in Vienna, and over 4 years worked for Beethoven as a copyist and secretary, receiving piano lessons as compensation.  He composed much music, and his early works were strongly influenced by Beethoven; "He ........ left eight symphonies, a violin concerto and nine piano concertos, and numerous other works in many genres, including 26 string quartets", plus plenty of chamber and other piano works.

I've really enjoyed Ries' music over the years, and have obtained quite a bit, mostly on the CPO label; for those who may want to explore this composer and depending on your interests, below is 'what' I currently own - and I can't say that I dislike any of this music - the guy was good!

Complete Symphonies w/ Howard Griffiths & Surcher Kammerorchester on CPO - includes 8 symphonies recorded from 1997-1002; 4 CD box set.
Clarinet Sonatas & Clarinet Trio w/ Dieter Klocker; Armin Fromm on cello & Thomas Duis on piano - CPO; recorded 2003-4.
Flute Quartets w/ John Littlefield on flute; violin, viola, & cello the other instruments; on Naxos from 2006.
Piano Quartets w/ Andreas Frolich on piano; same strings, as above; CPO, recorded in 2002.
Piano Quintet w/ Nepomuk Fortepiano Quintet; also includes similar work by Franz Limmer; on Brilliant, 2003.
Piano Trios w/ Mendelssohn Trio Berlin; again from CPO, dated 2004.
Septet & Octet w/ Linos Ensemble; CPO from 2002.
String Quartets, Vol. 1 w/ Schuppanizigh Quartett; CPO, 2004 - BOY, only 2 of 26!  Not sure 'how many' of the SQs have been recorded?

Hmmm - no Piano Concertos & a bunch of SQs missing; will appreciate comments on other options & 'new' additions - Dave  :)

Almost unexplored by me until now, I had a moment of enormous musical pleasure while listening to Ries' piano quartets, and most particularly op. 17 in E flat major. The slow movement is a jewel, showing a strange baroque influence that makes me somehow think of Haydn, although combined with Beethoven, Hummel and Mendelssohn: in the A section a beautiful ostinato figure drawn by the piano is supported by an ethereal dialogue of the strings. Great music.

SonicMan46

Graun Brothers - dates below; just received the disc shown (left) which is absolutely delightful - don't believe that we've had much discussion on this pair (I have only 2 other discs of music by Johann Graun) - both were employed in the court of Frederick the Great; Johann was a violinist and the concertmaster, thus the writing for these chamber works is NOT for the amateur.  Not a lot of bio information to be found - added one pic below!  :)

QuoteGraun, Carl & Johann (c.1703-1759 & c.1702-1771, respectively) - Trios Two Violins played by Anne Schumann & Dorothea on violin; Monika Schwamberger on cello; and Ludger Remy on hammerflügel (fortepiano) - works written in mid-18th century w/ an outstanding review from the Am Record Guide (Jan-Feb 2010) - this music is played w/ gusto; the fortepiano is blended well w/ the other instruments; the recording excellent, as expected from CPO!

Florestan

A highly recommended fresh discovery:

Excellent chamber music (harpsichord quintets and flute quartets) from Tommaso Giordani.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lethevich

I just surprised myself with how great Schubert's (inaccurately numbered) 10th string quartet is. Three of the movements had themes which I had subconsciously absorbed many years ago and it felt like a rediscovery when listening. Given that these early quartets are rarely discussed, does anybody have any favourites amongst nos. 1 to 11?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe on February 05, 2010, 08:24:28 PM
I just surprised myself with how great Schubert's (inaccurately numbered) 10th string quartet is. Three of the movements had themes which I had subconsciously absorbed many years ago and it felt like a rediscovery when listening. Given that these early quartets are rarely discussed, does anybody have any favourites amongst nos. 1 to 11?

Well, I don't know them by "#X" or either by Opus #, the only thing I know is the Deutsch numbers. That said, D 87 is among my very favorites even if you include the later ones. I will happily review the earlier ones this weekend and probably have others for this list, I just can't remember which is which right now. :)

8)

mahler10th

What a superb set of references I find in here to help me understand what was going on in the Classical era.  A couple of hours rummaging in here will make me an expert in no time!  (...er...well, a couple of hours aside...)
Great thread Gurn.