Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethe on April 10, 2010, 09:21:00 AM
... reminicent of Boccherini, maybe, but with their own clunky charm.

... and, apparently, Boccherini was nicknamed as "Haydn's wife" by his contemporaries. Therefore, we are in Haydn again.   :D

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 10, 2010, 09:30:13 AM
Yeah, I like Sammartini, I have just the one box of 3 disks of his early string symphonies, but I do quite enjoy them. Nice to feast on precursors now and again... ;D
You might like this, Gurn (if you don't have it already)!  Europa Galante gives Sammartini the star treatment here, even if it is only one nine-minute piece...

http://www.amazon.com/Improvisata-Sinfonie-titoli-Antonio-Vivaldi/dp/B000F3T3EG

This also features some Monza, Vivaldi, Boccherini, and Demachi - great album.

SonicMan46

Thought that I repeat a post here that I just put in the 'listening thread' - of the two Krommer SQ discs below (both on period instruments), thought that I'd play them back-to-back; preference given below, but I'm not disappointed w/ the Authentic Quartet in the performances I own by them - also, I'd be curious if anyone has heard this group in the Johann Lickl SQs - own nothing by this composer - see the attached review from Fanfare - a recommendation w/ slight reservations concerning the AQ's performances.   :D

Thought that I'd play my Krommer SQ discs back-to-back, i.e. the one you showed (and the other w/ the Authentic Quartet) - the quartets are different (FK wrote over 70 SQs, according to the liner notes!) - I still really like the Marcolini Quartett the best of these two groups; the Authentic Quartet is not bad, but the performers just don't seem to play w/ enough GUSTO! 

Now I own several other discs w/ this latter quartet, which I've liked better than the Krommer; also there is a review from Fanfare on their performance of the Lickl SQs (never heard of this composer) - the recording is recommended, but the reviewer commented the playing of the AQuartet wasn't the most polished - might still purchase the CD since the compositions were felt to be quite good along w/ the recording quality, plus I own nothing by this apparently well-regarded composer during his time; REVIEW ATTACHED AS A TEXT FILE, for those interested!  Dave

sTisTi

Quote from: SonicMan on April 14, 2010, 09:35:27 AM
Thought that I repeat a post here that I just put in the 'listening thread' - of the two Krommer SQ discs below (both on period instruments), thought that I'd play them back-to-back; preference given below, but I'm not disappointed w/ the Authentic Quartet in the performances I own by them - also, I'd be curious if anyone has heard this group in the Johann Lickl SQs - own nothing by this composer - see the attached review from Fanfare - a recommendation w/ slight reservations concerning the AQ's performances.   :D

SonicMan,
if you're interested in more Krommer String Quartets, I can highly recommend the following CD of 3 Op.18 Quartets played by the Quartetto di Milano:

especially the first quartet is full of the catchy melodies so typical of Krommer.
I also considered buying the Authentic Quartet CD pictured in your post, but somehow I didn't like the Op.7 works nearly as much as the Op.18 quartets or the works played by the Marcolini Qt, so I'm still undecided...

Are there any other CDs of Krommer's SQ available?

SonicMan46

Quote from: sTisTi on April 15, 2010, 08:11:05 AM
SonicMan,
if you're interested in more Krommer String Quartets, I can highly recommend the following CD of 3 Op.18 Quartets played by the Quartetto di Milano:

I also considered buying the Authentic Quartet CD pictured in your post, but somehow I didn't like the Op.7 works nearly as much as the Op.18 quartets or the works played by the Marcolini Qt, so I'm still undecided...

Are there any other CDs of Krommer's SQ available?

Hello sTisTi - probably so but I just have the two shown in my earlier post; the Quartetto di Milano disc looks interesting, but is available in the USA from just one Amazon Marketplace vendor for nearly $40 (once S/H is added)!  I've not looked to my European sources yet but will put on my list -  :)

I do own a lot of other chamber works by Krommer, esp. w/ winds - recommended for those into windy music, like myself.

Maybe some of our more illustrious sleuths can uncover some more SQs for us -  :D

Gabriel

Well, sTisTi and Dave, I'm afraid that you have named the three CDs of string quartets by Krommer currently available. At least I don't know any other, may it be available or out of print.

Leo K.

Quote from: Gabriel on May 06, 2009, 05:31:38 AM
I transpose a message I've just written in another thread, concerning - naturally - a classical composer.

It's interesting that you mention this CD, Traverso. It's the only CD I own of Brunetti's music, and I would like to know more of it before trying to describe the style of the composer. But specifically about these few string quartets I can say that it is some of the most intriguing chamber music of the classical period. Perhaps it is the use of listening to the Viennese composers of the time, but even compared with Boccherini's works these are very special; I would even say that they are very strange. Their emotional approach is a light one, but the music in itself is quite twisted: very strange textures, unexpected modulations, irregular subjects, and lots of other surprises.

If I had to describe these works, I'd say they are like a piranha. Their size is deceiving. And when gathered in groups, they can create a very powerful force. According to Wikipedia, he wrote a considerable amount of chamber music (44 string quartets, 66 string quintets, and so on). If most of his music had at least the level presented by this CD, we would be in front of a very sadly forgotten composer; and considering that Brunetti was active in Spain at the same time Boccherini was, they both could offer a most distinguished counterpoint to the Haydn-Mozart Austrian chamber music writing of this period.

This is such an amazing disk...thanks for the heads up.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 20, 2010, 12:38:07 PM
This is such an amazing disk...thanks for the heads up.

Hello, Leo. Hadn't seen you in a while, glad you could stop in. And yet another vote in favor of this music. I guess I am the tardy one who needs to see what's what here. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 20, 2010, 01:10:26 PM
Hello, Leo. Hadn't seen you in a while, glad you could stop in. And yet another vote in favor of this music. I guess I am the tardy one who needs to see what's what here. :)

Hello Leo - just looked at the date on Gabriel's post - nearly a year ago!   :)

I've not looked back to see the responses, but I also own that disc by Brunetti, but would have to give it a spin to remind me - BTW, any other recordings of this obscure composer that you've discovered?  Dave  :D

SonicMan46

Witt, Friedrich (1770-1836) - yet another apparently 'lost composer' from the classical transitional era; same birth year as Beethoven; extremely short Bio HERE; an unknown to me until acquiring the disc below from BRO; the usual MDG quality - unexpectedly excellent review (10/10 rating) by David Hurwitz reprinted HERE!

Not much more available at Amazon on disc w/ his name as the only composer; the music on this recording is well captured w/ superb sound - the Flute Concerto is worth the price of admission.  Symphony No. 6, Sinfonie Turque is a lot of fun w/ Turkish sounds/moods throughout.  Apparently, Witt wrote 27 Symphonies w/ the last 9 being published as Symphonies 1-9, according to the liner notes; he likely wrote much other instrumental (including chamber works) music, which has been at least 'unrecorded' or lost?   :)

Gabriel

Quote from: SonicMan on April 20, 2010, 01:43:29 PM
Hello Leo - just looked at the date on Gabriel's post - nearly a year ago!   :)

I've not looked back to see the responses, but I also own that disc by Brunetti, but would have to give it a spin to remind me - BTW, any other recordings of this obscure composer that you've discovered?  Dave  :D

In fact, Dave, I've purchased a recording of some of his symphonies in Cappriccio played by Concerto Köln. I haven't listened to it recently, but I can tell you that my impression was similar to the one I had with the quartets.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gabriel on April 24, 2010, 09:44:54 AM
In fact, Dave, I've purchased a recording of some of his symphonies in Cappriccio played by Concerto Köln. I haven't listened to it recently, but I can tell you that my impression was similar to the one I had with the quartets.

Hi Gabriel - I own just the single disc; assume the 'symphonies' mentioned is shown below?  Love that group - saw them in person years ago - will add to my 'wish list' - Dave  :)

Gabriel

Yes, that's the CD, Dave. I'm playing right now their fantastic CD with symphonies by Eberl.

SonicMan46

This afternoon, I was listening to a number of discs from the box pictured below and decided to look up several of the composers, including Leopold Kozeluch (1747-1818) - the set of his Symphonies on one of the discs is all that I own by this composer, but was astounded at HOW MUCH he wrote!  :)

Czech composer - short Bio HERE, which includes a listing of his numerous compositions, currently cataloged using Postolka numbers, after the work of the musicologist Milan Poštolka - these include:  23 Symphonies-Overtures; 23 Keyboard Concertos; 4 Clarinet & Bassoon Concertos; 21 Serenades-Parthias; 6 String Quartets; 67 Keyboard Trios; 24 Keyboard Sonatas w/ Violin; other instrumental pieces not to mention his vocal output!

So, any recommendations - not a whole lot listed on Amazon under his name -  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on April 24, 2010, 02:09:13 PM
Hi Gabriel - I own just the single disc; assume the 'symphonies' mentioned is shown below?  Love that group - saw them in person years ago - will add to my 'wish list' - Dave  :)

Dave and Gabriel,
I just got this disk of Brunetti and am making my first trip through it now. it is this one, on Tactus:

As you know (and we've discussed) I am very fond indeed of an ensemble of a solo wind instrument fronting a string trio or quartet, and these bassoon quintets are very interesting indeed. They are chronologically older than those of Devienne or Danzi, not sure how they stand v Krommer. In any case they are delightful, the bassoon seems to be written more tightly into the ensemble than is usual in this type of work, but plenty of virtuosic opportunities exist for a great player to show out. These are world premieres, and as is usual with Tactus, they are worth grabbing if you see them. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 05, 2010, 06:14:49 AM
Dave and Gabriel,
I just got this disk of Brunetti and am making my first trip through it now. it is this one, on Tactus:

As you know (and we've discussed) I am very fond indeed of an ensemble of a solo wind instrument fronting a string trio or quartet, and these bassoon quintets are very interesting indeed. They are chronologically older than those of Devienne or Danzi, not sure how they stand v Krommer. In any case they are delightful, the bassoon seems to be written more tightly into the ensemble than is usual in this type of work, but plenty of virtuosic opportunities exist for a great player to show out. These are world premieres, and as is usual with Tactus, they are worth grabbing if you see them. :)

Gurn - thanks for the tip on Brunetti; I did pick up the Sinfonien disc (and have the SQs on CPO) - the bassoon recording sounds quite good!  I'm putting together an order from MDT and will take a look; also decided to add the Beethoven-Hummel Piano Trios CD on PIs; the two Lambert Orkis dual Virgin sets seem OOP?  Dave  :D

Gabriel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 05, 2010, 06:14:49 AM
Dave and Gabriel,

8)

Thanks, Gurn. I didn't know anything about that CD, and it seems interesting: there are not too many bassoon chamber works from classicism available. As for the date, they are almost certainly older than Krommer's. Brunetti died in 1798, while Krommer's bassoon quartets are under op. 46. In 1798 Krommer was publishing works with numbers around op. 10 (perhaps somebody could check a booklet of Krommer's op. 46 for establishing their composition date with more certainty; I don't have mine here).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gabriel on May 08, 2010, 10:47:23 AM
Thanks, Gurn. I didn't know anything about that CD, and it seems interesting: there are not too many bassoon chamber works from classicism available. As for the date, they are almost certainly older than Krommer's. Brunetti died in 1798, while Krommer's bassoon quartets are under op. 46. In 1798 Krommer was publishing works with numbers around op. 10 (perhaps somebody could check a booklet of Krommer's op. 46 for establishing their composition date with more certainty; I don't have mine here).

Yes, think you'll like them, Gabriel. I noted an oddity last night while I was ripping them to put on my MP3 player; the booklet doesn't give any clue what key they are written in. I have seen this before, but very rarely. I looked them up in Grove's and discovered the confusion that is the Brunetti oeuvre. There is chamber music, orchestral music and vocal music, and each of these groups starts off with an Op 1. I did note that Op 2 is listed as "6 string quartets", no mention of bassoons, but given that there are other Op 2's also, I figure that makes no difference, there appears to be no definitive list of works. :-\

I looked up Krommer's Op 46 and it appears to be from 1804, so it does postdate Brunetti neatly. I was at work when I wrote the other so had nothing to look it up in... :-\   :)

8)
----------------
Now playing:
Hanover Band / Monica Huggett - Bia 203 Op 21 Symphony #1 in C 2nd mvmt - Andante cantabile con moto

Gabriel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 08, 2010, 11:14:11 AM

Yes, think you'll like them, Gabriel. I noted an oddity last night while I was ripping them to put on my MP3 player; the booklet doesn't give any clue what key they are written in. I have seen this before, but very rarely. I looked them up in Grove's and discovered the confusion that is the Brunetti oeuvre. There is chamber music, orchestral music and vocal music, and each of these groups starts off with an Op 1. I did note that Op 2 is listed as "6 string quartets", no mention of bassoons, but given that there are other Op 2's also, I figure that makes no difference, there appears to be no definitive list of works. :-\

I looked up Krommer's Op 46 and it appears to be from 1804, so it does postdate Brunetti neatly. I was at work when I wrote the other so had nothing to look it up in... :-\   :)

8)
----------------
Now playing:
Hanover Band / Monica Huggett - Bia 203 Op 21 Symphony #1 in C 2nd mvmt - Andante cantabile con moto

Thanks, Gurn. I thought Krommer's quartets might have been composed around 1805, but as composers decide sometimes to keep the scores for some time before publishing them, I prefered not to give a specific answer.

About the confusions in opus numbers, it seems we will need a scholar to put some order in Brunetti's catalogue! ;D

Scarpia

This one, referenced above seems interesting, but I haven't been able to locate any sample audio clips at all, which is frustrating.