Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 28, 2010, 06:18:27 PM
I've been listening to this one today:

Works By Reicha/Rossini/Danzi

Taffanel Wind Ensemble

That looks good! Not familiar with the group, but like all the music. Makes a nice grouping all in one spot like that. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
NDR Philharmonie \ Griffiths - Wranitzky Op 52 Symphony in D 2nd mvmt - Adagio
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 28, 2010, 06:28:05 PM
That looks good! Not familiar with the group, but like all the music. Makes a nice grouping all in one spot like that. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
NDR Philharmonie \ Griffiths - Wranitzky Op 52 Symphony in D 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Yes, it is nice - and I don't know much about the group either - apparently they took their name from
QuoteClaude-Paul Taffanel (16 September 1844 - 22 November 1908) was a French flautist, conductor and instructor regarded as the founder of the French Flute School that dominated much of flute composition and performance during the mid-20th century.
[Wikipedia]

You guys probably already know about this, but I've got some of ther individual items from this series, and did not know they had been grouped in a box.  It is a good way to get a bunch of classical era composers in one shot.

Contemporaries of Mozart Collection: Symphonies

The London Mozart Players (and conductor Matthias Bamert on this set) are a well regarded classical era ensemble.  Pianist Howard Shelley has been co-director and soloist with them. 

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Leon on October 29, 2010, 05:48:36 AM
Yes, it is nice - and I don't know much about the group either - apparently they took their name from  [Wikipedia]

You guys probably already know about this, but I've got some of ther individual items from this series, and did not know they had been grouped in a box.  It is a good way to get a bunch of classical era composers in one shot.

Contemporaries of Mozart Collection: Symphonies

The London Mozart Players (and conductor Matthias Bamert on this set) are a well regarded classical era ensemble.  Pianist Howard Shelley has been co-director and soloist with them.
Those have been recommended many times, but it can never hurt to do so again. I have yet to find a dud and I think I have most of the discs (I recently ordered the Herschel).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Leon

A piece I never tire of listening to

Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Orch of Old Fairfield Academy
Eric Hoeprich (cl) & Conducted by Thomas Crawford

This set of all the wind concerti is good.

I have several recordings of the Clarinet Concerto, but I think my favorite might be this one:

The Last Concertos
Gottfried von der Goltz (Conductor), Freiburger Barockorchester, Andreas Staier, Lorenzo Coppola

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Leon on October 29, 2010, 07:24:58 AM
A piece I never tire of listening to

Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Orch of Old Fairfield Academy
Eric Hoeprich (cl) & Conducted by Thomas Crawford

This set of all the wind concerti is good.

Hi, Leon. That set is not just good, but excellent. :)

Fortunately, now it's widely available thanks to Nimbus Records:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 29, 2010, 07:46:19 AM
Hi, Leon. That set is not just good, but excellent. :)

Fortunately, now it's widely available thanks to Nimbus Records:

Hah! I didn't know that Nimbus had picked that up. My (3 disks) copy is from when they were still calling themselves "The Orchestra of the Old Fairfield Academy". I got it a long time ago and have rec'd it several times, but not too many picked it up because of a lack of faith in the old Gurnster, I guess. Those who did universally have liked it a lot. Interesting that it should be on its 3rd incarnation now. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 29, 2010, 07:24:58 AM
I have several recordings of the Clarinet Concerto, but I think my favorite might be this one:

The Last Concertos
Gottfried von der Goltz (Conductor), Freiburger Barockorchester, Andreas Staier, Lorenzo Coppola

I've had that on my wish list for months, don't know why I'm waiting to pull the trigger on it, maybe hoping someone would give it to me for my birthday, I suppose... :D   But every time I see it I'm like "damn, I need to get that disk...". :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 29, 2010, 09:30:39 AM
Hah! I didn't know that Nimbus had picked that up. My (3 disks) copy is from when they were still calling themselves "The Orchestra of the Old Fairfield Academy". I got it a long time ago and have rec'd it several times, but not too many picked it up because of a lack of faith in the old Gurnster, I guess. Those who did universally have liked it a lot. Interesting that it should be on its 3rd incarnation now. :)

Well, I purchased that set based on your recommendation, old Gurnster.  :)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on July 31, 2010, 01:02:56 PM
First listen of this 3-CD set, recommended by Gurn (under another label):

The American Classical Orchestra recorded the complete Mozart Wind Concerti using the orchestra's principals as soloists. These recordings mark the first comprehensive survey of the concerti by an American period instrument ensemble and conductor. Research into various sources has produced some unique material and instruments for use in these recordings.

The American Classical Orchestra was founded by music director Thomas Crawford in 1985 as the Orchestra of the Old Fairfield Academy. It performs on authentic instruments, specializing in repertoire from the 17th to 19th centuries. Interested in reviving and preserving the art of playing period instruments, the American Classical Orchestra also fosters the education of musicians and the public in authentic performance technique. It is comprised of leading period instrumentalists in the New York metropolitan region.

A wonderful set so far.  :)

I have a special preference for Wolfie when he composed for wind instruments. Right now, I am listening to this wonderful 2-CD set:

Strongly recommended.

Leon

I wonder why they changed their name?  American Classical Orchestra is pretty bland compared to the Orchestra of the Old Fairfield Academy.  No matter - under any name they make great music!

I am currently listening to the Horn Concerto K. 495.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 29, 2010, 10:00:36 AM
Well, I purchased that set based on your recommendation, old Gurnster.  :)

I have a special preference for Wolfie when he composed for wind instruments. Right now, I am listening to this wonderful 2-CD set:

Strongly recommended.

:D  Well, that warms the cockles of my heart, Antoine.  0:)

Meanwhile, I can start hunting for that Hogwood disk. That looks like right up my alley. I am also very keen on Mozart's Wind Works! :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 29, 2010, 10:28:17 AM
I wonder why they changed their name?  American Classical Orchestra is pretty bland compared to the Orchestra of the Old Fairfield Academy.  No matter - under any name they make great music!

I am currently listening to the Horn Concerto K. 495.

I agree with that, Leon. America is too big a country for one little old PI band to co-opt that way. They are New Yorkers, I could relate to "New York Old Time Instrument Band" more, I think. :D

What di you think of that odd little sequence where they have that fellow shouting out in German all the funny things that Amadé wrote on the manuscript? I thought it was pretty funny, at least for one hearing. :)

8)

Leon

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 29, 2010, 10:42:04 AM
What di you think of that odd little sequence where they have that fellow shouting out in German all the funny things that Amadé wrote on the manuscript? I thought it was pretty funny, at least for one hearing. :)

8)

I wish they hadn't included ALL the written comments.   

::)

But I cut them some slack based on the high quality of the rest of the set.

;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 29, 2010, 11:03:02 AM
I wish they hadn't included ALL the written comments.   

::)

But I cut them some slack based on the high quality of the rest of the set.

;)

:D  Well, since I ripped it and listen on my MP3 player usually, I only had to listen once. It was amusing the first time, sort of like the Minkowski "SURPRISE" in the Haydn 'Surprise' Symphony. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 29, 2010, 09:32:57 AM
I've had that on my wish list for months, don't know why I'm waiting to pull the trigger on it, maybe hoping someone would give it to me for my birthday, I suppose... :D   But every time I see it I'm like "damn, I need to get that disk...". :)

It's a beautiful disc, indeed. Do you know these other two?

Leon

I've got several books on this period, biographies, letters, and general musical surveys focusing on each the main three composers, and some books on specific sets of works, e.g. Haydn String Quartets, Beethoven Piano Sonatas, etc. - but find the Charles Rosen book The Classical Style (although a very good source that I use for specific things) a bit too techinical  for what I'm looking for which is a good one volume histirical overview, with some musical analysis of the period beyond focusing on Haydn, Mozart & Beethoven.

I've ordered  "Classical Music: The Era of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven (The Norton Introduction to Music History)" - but was wondering if you guys have any other good suggestions?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 29, 2010, 11:07:28 AM
It's a beautiful disc, indeed. Do you know these other two?

Antoine,
Yes, I have that first one, which I bought specifically because it has the Levin reconstruction of the Sinfonia Concertante for Winds with the correct instrumentation. It is overall a very nice disk. I hadn't seen the other one, I don't think, although I wish I had. This despite the fact that I have 4 or more complete PI horn concerti sets... :D  You've already made me buy a new disk today, but I'll put it on tomorrow's list... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 29, 2010, 11:18:21 AM
I've got several books on this period, biographies, letters, and general musical surveys focusing on each the main three composers, and some books on specific sets of works, e.g. Haydn String Quartets, Beethoven Piano Sonatas, etc. - but find the Charles Rosen book The Classical Style (although a very good source that I use for specific things) a bit too techinical  for what I'm looking for which is a good one volume histirical overview, with some musical analysis of the period beyond focusing on Haydn, Mozart & Beethoven.

I've ordered  "Classical Music: The Era of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven (The Norton Introduction to Music History)" - but was wondering if you guys have any other good suggestions?

Leon,
I can commiserate with you on Rosen. Despite the fact that I've read it 3 times over the years, I still have a major struggle with things like "so you can easily see by this: *musical example here* that Mozart was the major influence on the young Beethoven...". ::)  I can?

I have several good books at home, I'll get back to you this evening. Meanwhile, back near the beginning of this thread, we went through a period where all the participants of the time who could read gave their list of favorite books. You might kill some time there... :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 29, 2010, 11:32:11 AM
You've already made me buy a new disk today... :)

... and fortunately it's a wonderful one. Possibilities of disappointment are near to zero.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 29, 2010, 11:47:54 AM
... and fortunately it's a wonderful one. Possibilities of disappointment are near to zero.  :)

:)  I love that kind of talk. :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 29, 2010, 09:30:39 AM

8)

I'm one of them and it made me even reevaluate minor pieces like the oboe concerto, which I now really like! :)