Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

You have quite a few that I'm interested in, mainly sonatas. I would really like to find something on Tangentenflügel, that being a most appropriate instrument for the time. Oh well, I should live so long... :)

I have a couple of caprices by brother Franz in addition to that violin concerto. He was quite a virtuoso, it seems. If Jiri/Georg is obscure, Franz is damn near invisible! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Radio Chamber Orchestra \ de Vriend  Bart Schneeman (Oboe) - Lebrun: Concerto #4 in Bb for Oboe 3rd mvmt - Rondo: Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 16, 2010, 04:28:55 PM
Huh? ???  I don't remember ever saying that I dislike the natural horn.  And I really like Ab Koster's recording. :)

Oh, so YOU'RE the one! Hmpff!  :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Radio Chamber Orchestra \ de Vriend  Bart Schneeman (Oboe) - Lebrun: Concerto #2 in g for Oboe 1st mvmt - Allegro

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on November 16, 2010, 04:28:55 PM
Huh? ???  I don't remember ever saying that I dislike the natural horn.  And I really like Ab Koster's recording. :)

Quote from: DavidW on November 05, 2010, 06:54:05 PM
No love for either instrument Gurn! :'(  No love for CPE Bach Flute sonatas and concertos?  No love for Spohr's Violin and Harp sonatas?  Oh well more for me. ;D

David - sorry if there was a misunderstanding -  :-\  But after my post on the natural horn, your next response is quoted above, so I assumed that your meant the horn, but may be the flute & harp?  At any rate, if you indeed like the horn, then we are back in agreement!   :D  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on November 16, 2010, 11:57:31 AM
That is from Wikipedia - I'm listening right  now to this disc:

Classical Trumpet Concertos

And the Hertel selction is really nice.

Looks like an interesting disk, Leon. Some good players on there too. I'll have to check that one out. I've got some good recordings of the Haydn, but I can always improve the others. And Hertel will be a new discovery. I'll see what else I can find from him. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Radio Chamber Orchestra \ de Vriend  Bart Schneeman (Oboe) - Lebrun: Concerto #2 in g for Oboe 1st mvmt - Allegro

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on November 16, 2010, 04:37:06 PM
David - sorry if there was a misunderstanding -  :-\  But after my post on the natural horn, your next response is quoted above, so I assumed that your meant the horn, but may be the flute & harp?  At any rate, if you indeed like the horn, then we are back in agreement!   :D  Dave

Nah, he was berating ME for not rating the flute or harp way up in my pantheon of cool instruments. I'm afraid we'll have to let him slide this time, Dave.... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Radio Chamber Orchestra \ de Vriend  Bart Schneeman (Oboe) - Lebrun: Concerto #2 in g for Oboe 2nd mvmt - Adagio

DavidW

The flute was the instrument that I played as a kid. :)  Just listening to a flute sonata makes me feel like I'm going to have an asthma attack!  But it's still good stuff. ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2010, 04:28:41 PM
My Benda collection, Dave:

As I do with many Bohemian composers of the era, I am quite delighted with Benda's music. He always has that little surprise waiting, not predictable like some. Quite influential in his time too. :

Gurn - the Benda brothers, i.e. Franz & Georg, are worthy of further exploration for me - for Georg, I just have the keyboard works mentioned previously, plus the Naxos discs pictured above of the Sinfonias; as to Franz, I just have a couple of discs pictured below - BUT, these guys wrote a LOT of music!  Not sure if we even have a thread devoted to them?  Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on November 16, 2010, 05:13:10 PM
Gurn - the Benda brothers, i.e. Franz & Georg, are worthy of further exploration for me - for Georg, I just have the keyboard works mentioned previously, plus the Naxos discs pictured above of the Sinfonias; as to Franz, I just have a couple of discs pictured below - BUT, these guys wrote a LOT of music!  Not sure if we even have a thread devoted to them?  Dave  :)

I think we did at one time, Dave, although I haven't gone back to check the old forum for it. If it wasn't in a dedicated thread, we have talked about them someplace. :-\

Anyway, this disk I left in your quote; I want that. Steck is one of my favorite violinists these days. He does go back and play some bitchin' Vivaldi, but in the Classical era, I have 2 disks of his Schuppanzigh Quartet playing Haydn, 1 Brunetti and 2 Ries. And of course the Schubert sonatas with Robert Hill plus the Haydn Duos with Viola. So I am quite confident that this disk will suit my taste very well indeed. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
King (Oboe) \ Soroka (Violin) \ Stern (Viola) \ Kam (Viola0 \ Khoma (Cello) -
Krommer Quintet #1 in C for Oboe & Strings 4th mvmt - Allegro

DavidW

Hey guys: rec me some JC Bach! :)  Preferably orchestral or chamber on period instruments. :)

karlhenning

Oh, Davey: you're corn to their sickle, now! : )

DavidW

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 18, 2010, 08:01:25 AM
Hey guys: rec me some JC Bach! :)  Preferably orchestral or chamber on period instruments. :)

Wait until this evening, I have a few rec's, more than I have time... :(  On Philips there is a Duo that has Ingrid Haebler playing fortepiano on JC's pianoforte concertos Op 1 & 7. I replayed them to my benefit just last week, in fact. You can't find them to buy, probably, but I would think they would be available to stream... :)

8)

Leon

In checking my iPod, all that's there is a disc of musc by the sons of Bach.  It has one symphony (Op. 6, #6) by Johann Christian, which is nice. 

Here's some info on the group Les Violons du Roy: "Although the ensemble plays on modern instruments, its approach to the works of the Baroque and Classical periods has been strongly influenced by current understanding of performance practice of the 17th and early 18th centuries"

The other selections are well worthwhile as well.

I am pretty sure I've got the Brilliant 7-disc box also of Bach's sons - Amazon has it from third party sellers.

SonicMan46

David - check out the CPO label - plenty of various offerings, but at the moment just to suggest a few if you like 'wind concertos' - there are two volumes which are quite wonderful to my ears; one shown below -  :D  Dave

Gurn Blanston

I would love to have that disk, Dave! Time to go shopping (again!). :)

David, here are a few more. All PI, something in every category, I think;

Harals Hoeren, BTW, is the keyboardist for Trio 1790. :)

These are proven winners in MY book. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Graham Johnson, D919 Fruhlingslied

DavidW

Oh wow a bunch of recs!  I'll have to do some listening. :)

Thanks y'all I'll tell you what I order.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 18, 2010, 05:41:50 PM
Oh wow a bunch of recs!  I'll have to do some listening. :)

Thanks y'all I'll tell you what I order.

Well, enjoy. I think J.C. is a very entertaining (oops, there's that nasty word! :o ) composer, way more galant than his brother CPE. Carl used to give him a lot of crap about it too, offering to teach him how to make people cry. J.C. thankfully blew him off. For my money, one brother in each category is just right!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Graham Johnson, D896b Wolke Und Quelle

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 18, 2010, 05:32:19 PM
I would love to have that disk, Dave! Time to go shopping (again!). :)

Gurn - I have both volumes of the CPO Wind Concertos - I'm sure that you would enjoy!  :D

David - just a few more to add to your considerations -  ;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 18, 2010, 05:32:19 PM
Harals Hoeren, BTW, is the keyboardist for Trio 1790. :)

These are proven winners in MY book. :)

Harald Hoeren is certainly a talented keyboardist. I like very much one disc of Haydn's keyboard concertos under Helmut Müller-Brühl. There he plays three "organ" concertos and Ketil Haugsand -another skilled keyboardist- plays two "harpsichord" concertos:

:)

DavidW

Alright I found two on nml made 'em playlists for listening tomorrow, and in the future if I really like those I'll blind buy others. :)