Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: John of Glasgow on March 14, 2011, 08:22:02 AM
This morning I was listening to Haydn 104 and something else by Thomas Fey and the Hiedelberger Symphony Orchestra.  I was struck by the touch Fey has. He has an incisive and even brazen understanding of the music, and instead of pretty much trumping through it ala Bernstein, he went to some depths to expose things in the parts, rather like he was conducting something from the late Romantic period.  I thought this was a fascinating approach, seemingly dismissing the formulaic Classical tradition of the musics structure in favour of adding what can only be described as considerable 'gravitas'.
Excellent stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts on Fey. I have yet to listen to his Haydn, and now I really want to!

Scarpia

Quote from: John of Glasgow on March 14, 2011, 08:22:02 AM
This morning I was listening to Haydn 104 and something else by Thomas Fey and the Hiedelberger Symphony Orchestra.  I was struck by the touch Fey has. He has an incisive and even brazen understanding of the music, and instead of pretty much trumping through it ala Bernstein, he went to some depths to expose things in the parts, rather like he was conducting something from the late Romantic period.  I thought this was a fascinating approach, seemingly dismissing the formulaic Classical tradition of the musics structure in favour of adding what can only be described as considerable 'gravitas'.
Excellent stuff.

I'm not sure if I follow your remark regarding the late romantic period, but I agree that Fey's performances are insightful and thrilling.

mahler10th

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 14, 2011, 09:16:08 AM
I'm not sure if I follow your remark regarding the late romantic period, but I agree that Fey's performances are insightful and thrilling.

Yes Scarpia, I did stretch it a little lot there, so impresseed was I with what I'd heard as opposed to what I 'usually' listen to.   :-[  Still, I'm happy to discover my amazement wasn't unwarranted.   :D  I may collect some Fey now.  Has he done Mozart and what of it?  I'd rather glean opinions of knowledgable friends than go hunting to find what J Barrow of Pineville, Oregon says (and the like).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: John of Glasgow on March 14, 2011, 09:57:27 AM
Yes Scarpia, I did stretch it a little lot there, so impresseed was I with what I'd heard as opposed to what I 'usually' listen to.   :-[  Still, I'm happy to discover my amazement wasn't unwarranted.   :D  I may collect some Fey now.  Has he done Mozart and what of it?  I'd rather glean opinions of knowledgable friends than go hunting to find what J Barrow of Pineville, Oregon says (and the like).

If he has done any Mozart, it will be news to me. I have the 2 Beethoven disks that I've seen (IIRC, they are like Symphonies 1 & 4 and 2 & 6). I suspect that they would kick ass in Mozart, although it would be nice to see them do various others than 40 & 41... Also, there are a lot of Haydn's, their stated goal is to do them all. I also have a disk with a variety of overtures on it, which I recall to have enjoyed. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

I take it back, he has done some piano concertos, although not with the Heidelberger's. Pianist named Zitterbart who is a stranger to me. Also done the horn concertos. Haven't heard those either. Someone mentioned in another thread last week that his Mendelssohn symphonies are quite good.  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mahler10th

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 14, 2011, 10:16:05 AM
I take it back, he has done some piano concertos, although not with the Heidelberger's. Pianist named Zitterbart who is a stranger to me. Also done the horn concertos. Haven't heard those either. Someone mentioned in another thread last week that his Mendelssohn symphonies are quite good.  :)
8)

Thank you Gurn.  Mendelsshon!  By Fey?  I've got to hear that.  Sounds bloody thrilling.
I think I WILL go look up his stuff now after all... :o ;)

SonicMan46

Guys - just left the post below in the Vanhal thread which likely will not be visited often - so thought that I'd just repeat the post here - these are some wonderful Cello Concertos composed by the guy who used to play the same instrument in the quartet  in Vienna which included Mozart & Haydn - assume that he could write well for this instrument; short ARG review attached which prompted my purchase - nice addition to a Vanhal collection if you're interested in this composer -  ;D

QuoteJust acquired the disc shown below of the composer's Cello Concertos performed by Peter Szabo & Sinfonietta Pannonica; Vanhal was a popular composer, teacher, & performer who spent most of his career in Vienna during the time of Mozart & Haydn - he was a part of the oft famous String Quartet in that city which featured Mozart, Haydn, Dittersdorf, and Vanhal, with the latter playing the cello!

As mentioned in a previous post of mine, would not being there be a wonderful experience!  So, these works are of particular interest, i.e. being cello works of Vanhal - short but quite positive review attached from the ARG (Mar-Apr 2011 issue) - quite well done and a nice complement to the other works available from this neglected classical composer -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on March 17, 2011, 06:07:48 PM
Guys - just left the post below in the Vanhal thread which likely will not be visited often - so thought that I'd just repeat the post here - these are some wonderful Cello Concertos composed by the guy who used to play the same instrument in the quartet  in Vienna which included Mozart & Haydn - assume that he could write well for this instrument; short ARG review attached which prompted my purchase - nice addition to a Vanhal collection if you're interested in this composer -  ;D

Dave,
Are these period instruments? As you know, that isn't make or break for me, but strongly preferred. Hell, for a chance to get some Vanhal cello works, I guess synthesized cello would be OK for a little while... :D  Thanks for the tip, I've been looking for some of these for a while.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of St M in the Fields / Marriner - Cherubini Etude #2 for Horn & Strings

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 17, 2011, 06:12:53 PM
Dave,
Are these period instruments? As you know, that isn't make or break for me, but strongly preferred. Hell, for a chance to get some Vanhal cello works, I guess synthesized cello would be OK for a little while... :D  Thanks for the tip, I've been looking for some of these for a while.  :)

Hey Gurn - cannot answer your question at the moment; the liner notes are rather deficient regarding the nature of the instruments used including the cello; but Peter Szabo has a Website HERE - I've just sent an email asking about the type of instruments used in this performance; often I get no response, but OTOH have been pleasantly surprised w/ a quick and accurate return email - so let me wait a day or so and see what happens?

But I must say that in that picture w/ him & his cello, the instrument looks rather 'period' to me; plus the 'chamber orchestra', i.e. Sinfonietta Pannonica is described as being a selection from the instrumentalists of the best Hungarian orchestras.  The recordings were done in May 2010, so quite recent - can't imagine that you would not love these works not only for the Vanhal ambience but also for the rarity of the recordings (these are claimed to be 'World Premiere' offerings found by Szabo in the National Museum of Prague - BOY, what a temptation!) - but let me see if I get a return email from him?  Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on March 17, 2011, 07:01:44 PM
Hey Gurn - cannot answer your question at the moment; the liner notes are rather deficient regarding the nature of the instruments used including the cello; but Peter Szabo has a Website HERE - I've just sent an email asking about the type of instruments used in this performance; often I get no response, but OTOH have been pleasantly surprised w/ a quick and accurate return email - so let me wait a day or so and see what happens?

But I must say that in that picture w/ him & his cello, the instrument looks rather 'period' to me; plus the 'chamber orchestra', i.e. Sinfonietta Pannonica is described as being a selection from the instrumentalists of the best Hungarian orchestras.  The recordings were done in May 2010, so quite recent - can't imagine that you would not love these works not only for the Vanhal ambience but also for the rarity of the recordings (these are claimed to be 'World Premiere' offerings found by Szabo in the National Museum of Prague - BOY, what a temptation!) - but let me see if I get a return email from him?  Dave  :D

Sounds great, thanks. If there is another picture of the cello that shows all of it, you can tell if it doesn't have a rod stand, just has an end pin, then it is period, and you can assume the orchestra is too. That picture cuts off just a hair too high!   :D

But you're right, I would get it anyway. Just have to get that itch scratched first. ;)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 17, 2011, 07:10:58 PM
Sounds great, thanks. If there is another picture of the cello that shows all of it, you can tell if it doesn't have a rod stand, just has an end pin, then it is period, and you can assume the orchestra is too. That picture cuts off just a hair too high!   :D

But you're right, I would get it anyway. Just have to get that itch scratched first. ;)

Below is a larger image of the same picture showing a rod stand - of course, not sure if that is the cello he used nor how it was strung and bowed - just nothing in the liner notes to help - his biography can be found HERE; appears that his training & performances span a number of genres - Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on March 18, 2011, 04:36:12 AM
Below is a larger image of the same picture showing a rod stand - of course, not sure if that is the cello he used nor how it was strung and bowed - just nothing in the liner notes to help - his biography can be found HERE; appears that his training & performances span a number of genres - Dave  :D

Yeah, that pretty much settles it. I was just looking at a bio of the gal that's the first fiddle for that orchestra and it was equally ambiguous; ranges to at least Bartok, but OTOH, she plays chamber pieces with Spanyi, which is as PI as you can get these days.  :)  No matter, I have it in my cart anyway.

8)

karlhenning

Gurn, can you confirm rumors that the accumulated content of your cart has triggered tectonic activity in the lesser Antilles? ; )

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Apollon on March 18, 2011, 04:44:53 AM
Gurn, can you confirm rumors that the accumulated content of your cart has triggered tectonic activity in the lesser Antilles? ; )

Steamroller II: The Sequel - "Harry Goes West" starring Gurn Blanston   :D

8)

Opus106

Quote from: SonicMan on March 18, 2011, 04:36:12 AM

Well, for a moment there, I was wondering why Minnesota Dave was posing with a cello. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on March 18, 2011, 06:17:29 AM
Well, for a moment there, I was wondering why Minnesota Dave was posing with a cello. ;D

Actually, Dave is a hell of a poser... :D

8)

Leo K.

I've been listening to Hasse's requiem in Eb Major on my way to work everyday. It's quite the grand and exquisite performance of a majestic score. It's amazing all around. I love Hasse, and he's becoming a favorite of mine!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on March 20, 2011, 06:25:43 AM

I've been listening to Hasse's requiem in Eb Major on my way to work everyday. It's quite the grand and exquisite performance of a majestic score. It's amazing all around. I love Hasse, and he's becoming a favorite of mine!

Currently listening to my recently arrived CD of Hasse's Requiem in C Major - I own a lot of Requiems but this is one of the most upbeat!  A celebration of life as discussed in Bruno's excellent comments from Amazon (quoted a few pages back by you) - also an excellent review from MusicWeb Reprinted HERE - for those into Requiems who do not own this one, then highly recommended!   :D

SonicMan46

Hasse, Johann (1699-1783) - long lived and prolific German born composer spanning that wonderful transitional 18th century period between the late Baroque & early Classical eras.  He spent most of his adult years in either Italy (living out his life in Venice) and in Dresden at the Saxon court under Augustus II, who he wrote the Requiem in C Major upon the latter's death, and a work discussed in previous posts here.

A Wiki biography is available HERE; a list of his dozens of operas HERE; and a list of his other vocal, church, and instrumental works HERE - he indeed was a versatile and prolific composer, and likely thought as one of the best in Europe during his productive years; from the liner notes of the Requiem that I just received, the famous music historian of the times, Charles Burney (1726-1814) described Hasse as 'the most skillful and elegant of all the composers of his time' - high praise that certainly is open to debate!

However, Hasse is not only neglected these days, but also has been little recorded as far as I can see in looking on Amazon USA - I have just 2 other discs of his works, both instrumental (the one w/ Epoca Barocca is a great starter one for this genre of his output) and shown below, along w/ a picture of him.

So, just curious if others can provide some additional comments and recommendations regarding other available recordings?  Thanks all -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Well, quite simply, I am Hasse-free at the moment, so my contributions to this topic can only be minimal. His name is frequently tied to Graun's as a first-rate opera composer, and he was said to lack the spark of brilliance required to make an instrumental composer stand out from the crowd (that from a Haydn bio, so take it in that light). I guess I'll have to get myself up to speed, now he's been brought up... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Sonnerie / Monica Huggett (Violin)  Nigel North (Archlute & Theorbo) - Corelli Op 5 #10 Sonata in F for Violin 2nd mvmt - Allemanda: Allegro