Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Wow seriously that's it... dang! they must focus on baroque era works then.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 13, 2011, 11:37:06 AM
Wow seriously that's it... dang! they must focus on baroque era works then.

No, they only started playing together just on and off a few years ago. The violin sonatas, and then with Queyras for the trios. I think Beethoven must have been just one of those things they wanted to do because they liked the music, rather than their being a full-time band. Pity, they are darned good together! I haven't seen any Baroque by them at all.... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 13, 2011, 10:00:08 AM
The only one that I know about is the Beethoven sonatas by Staier and Sepec.

Thanks, I bought it.

DavidW

Is there only one PI recording of Hummel's trumpet concerto??

[asin]B000001WSY[/asin]

I can't really find anything.

Gurn Blanston

No, although that's a good one (I want it myself).

There is this one which I have and enjoy:

[asin]B0000057DU[/asin]

and this one which I would like to have and probably will by the time you read this:

[asin]B000006MB8[/asin]

I wouldn't be surprised if there were others, but I don't know about them yet.... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ryo Terakado \ Boyan Vodenitcharov - Bia 550 Op 96 Sonata #10 in G for Piano & Violin 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

That's Haydn, I asked for Hummel. ;D  But I'll remember that when I'm shopping for Haydn. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 14, 2011, 04:34:48 PM
That's Haydn, I asked for Hummel. ;D  But I'll remember that when I'm shopping for Haydn. :)

Screw Hummel, go with Haydn... ;D    Yeah, I have looked at that disk for the Haydn concerto several times and forgot what else was on it.    :-[

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ryo Terakado \ Boyan Vodenitcharov - Bia 550 Op 96 Sonata #10 in G for Piano & Violin 4th mvmt - Poco allegretto

SonicMan46

Quote from: haydnfan on April 14, 2011, 04:01:15 PM
Is there only one PI recording of Hummel's trumpet concerto??

[asin]B000001WSY[/asin]

I can't really find anything.

Check out the Old Musical Instrument Thread HERE - own and enjoy this recording - pick up as soon as you can!  ;) ;D

DavidW

Alright Dave, your post on the other thread has convinced me.  And I found it as a mere $9 download on amazon so I'll buy it on my next splurge. :)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 14, 2011, 04:39:26 PM
Screw Hummel, go with Haydn... ;D    Yeah, I have looked at that disk for the Haydn concerto several times and forgot what else was on it.    :-[

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ryo Terakado \ Boyan Vodenitcharov - Bia 550 Op 96 Sonata #10 in G for Piano & Violin 4th mvmt - Poco allegretto

Man, I sure love Haydn's Trumpet Concerto but I never hear an PI recording! I will have to correct that in the future! ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 15, 2011, 06:25:44 AM
Man, I sure love Haydn's Trumpet Concerto but I never hear an PI recording! I will have to correct that in the future! ;)

Leo, the Pinnock version is really a good choice; the trumpet version alone justifies the disk, while if you want to hear a good harpsichord version of Hob XVIII:11, this is as good as Koopman, maybe even a tad better. It's a good disk and under $10 in the Marketplace. :)

8)

Jared

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 06:41:21 AM
Leo, the Pinnock version is really a good choice; the trumpet version alone justifies the disk, while if you want to hear a good harpsichord version of Hob XVIII:11, this is as good as Koopman, maybe even a tad better. It's a good disk and under $10 in the Marketplace. :)

8)

quite right too...

I think this might be the disk, to which you refer...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 06:53:34 AM
quite right too...

I think this might be the disk, to which you refer...

Yep, that's the one. I ordered that Hogwood disk last night so I can compare them next week, but reviews comparing them give the nod to the Pinnock, at least the trumpet part. :)

8)

DavidW

Actually we were talking about the Hummel concerto, Gurn was quick to derail it onto Haydn. ::) :D

I looked at it, but not certain if it uses a keyed trumpet, and according to the description uses a rare late revision to the concerto.  I don't know about you Leon, but I'm going with sonic Dave's rec.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on April 15, 2011, 08:36:38 AM
I think it was originally written in E and only later transposed to Eb - but my real reason was because this disc included the mandolin work.

All true. But hf was looking for a PI work, and LMP/Shelley are not that, sad to say. Doesn't make them less very good, but they didn't fit the search requisite... :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

OK, Hummelfan, here is the one to spend your hard earned on:

[asin]B00005NUPC[/asin]

Steele-Perkins is, despite the hyphenated name, a bitchin' good trumpeter. No need to mention that King's Consort is a fine band whether you like King or not. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on April 15, 2011, 10:53:51 AM
I have that one already :)  A very good recording.

So, I may go for the Shelley one - in order to 1) have another recording by a different kind of band, and 2) to get the mandolin work.

:D

Seems like good reasoning to me! I have that mandolin work somewhere ( :-\ ) and distinctly remember enjoying it a lot. I will have to dig and see now where I put it. IIRC, it was a Chandos disk too, but I don't remember having that one you pictured. I wonder if senility has anything to do with this...  :)

8)

Jared

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 07:57:38 AM
Yep, that's the one. I ordered that Hogwood disk last night so I can compare them next week, but reviews comparing them give the nod to the Pinnock, at least the trumpet part. :)

8)

It's a lovely disk Gurn, and gets a regular play at chez Butcher.. I think the Keyboard Concerto is a particular treat...  8)

Jared

Quote from: Leon on April 15, 2011, 08:23:03 AM
I know you guys are talking about the Haydn Trumpet Concerto, but I am looking at the Hummel one paired with the Mandolin Concerto and was thnking of this

[asin]B00005M0JP[/asin]

And thoughts?

Leon: It's quite simple... you cannot go wrong with ANY of the Howard Shelley/ Hummel disks on Chandos... they are uniformly of a very high quality. He and Chandos have spent a great deal of time and effort researching, resurrecting and promoting the Orchestral music of of JNH, and it would be well worth your time exploring, my friend.. ..  :)

Aside No 1: What Shelley did for Hummel's Orchestral music, the late, great Richard Hickox did for Hummel's Masses and Sacred Choral Works... this series of three are an absolute MUST:

Aside No 2: Howard Shelley's disk of the Mendelssohn Piano Concertos with the London Mozart Players, also on Chandos (and no, I'm not a Chandos rep!) is also a great recording, and, played with smaller forces on Original instruments, makes a pleasing accompaniment to more Romantic versions...

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 11:41:33 AM
It's a lovely disk Gurn, and gets a regular play at chez Butcher.. I think the Keyboard Concerto is a particular treat...  8)

Yes, Pinnock does a bangup job with that concerto. I am a huge fortepiano fan, and since that work was composed in 1781, I always felt it should be a fortepiano work. But in reading about it, I discovered that Haydn didn't even have a fortepiano at the time (although I'm sure he was exposed to them in Vienna), and if he wrote it for Esterhazy that chances are it really was a harpsichord work. So that made me listen with new ears and now I rather like it either way (major turnabout for me!). Pity the oboe concerto is not by Haydn, or what i really mean is that he didn't write any oboe concerti. I am inordinately fond of the hautbois, as I am of Haydn... :)  But I listen to and enjoy it anyway.

8)