Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Yes, that's a great set. I spent 2 years gathering these together:

and the box set was released for peanuts about a week after I finally got the third one. No regrets though, despite paying about 5 times more... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Staier plays on a walter?  Isn't that the fortepiano that sounds really close to a modern piano?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 18, 2011, 03:12:55 PM
Staier plays on a walter?  Isn't that the fortepiano that sounds really close to a modern piano?

No, that would be a Graf. Walter was the #1 piano in 1780's Vienna. Haydn actually played a Schantz. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Any recordings on the Schantz?  What does it sound like relative to the Walter?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 18, 2011, 03:24:34 PM
Any recordings on the Schantz?  What does it sound like relative to the Walter?

There is at least this one:

Bilson is wonderful as always.

To me the sound is similar. Haydn praised the action of the Schantz to high heaven. Given the venues they played (salons and such) the sound probably didn't make as much difference then as it would now. :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 18, 2011, 03:42:43 PM
There is at least this one:

Bilson is wonderful as always.

To me the sound is similar. Haydn praised the action of the Schantz to high heaven. Given the venues they played (salons and such) the sound probably didn't make as much difference then as it would now. :)

8)

I'm interested in hearing this as well. In time  8)

I'm now listening to disk 2 of the Andrian Staier Haydn Sonata set. I've been listening on the way to work and back, and enjoying the hell out of it. What a perfect way to start out my day.

;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 19, 2011, 09:20:53 AM
I'm interested in hearing this as well. In time  8)

I'm now listening to disk 2 of the Andrian Staier Haydn Sonata set. I've been listening on the way to work and back, and enjoying the hell out of it. What a perfect way to start out my day.

;D

Yeah, it's hard to beat the combination of Staier and Haydn. One thing you are going to have to do if you start to listen to a lot of Haydn keyboard disks is learn to love Hob 17:6; I think that every player hits it at least one time. I must have 15 versions by now... :D

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 16, 2011, 11:34:51 AM
I did mention the Brilliant set, but failed to offer any comments on it. I would be interested to hear some. :)

Dütschler, Fukuda & Kojima. I prefer those two Japanese girls, sometimes Fukuda, sometimes Kojima; although Fukuda has the edge because she plays every sonata of her two CDs on that excellent Viennese anonymous (ca. 1785) from the collection of Edwin Beunk. Dütschler (a Bilson's student) is good, but I feel she is not that engaged to this music like Fukuda or Kojima. Anyway, I consider the Brilliant set as the best introduction to Haydn's piano sonatas on period instruments (or replicas). Additionally, van Oort and Hoogland are top-shelf recommendations.  :)   

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 19, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
Dütschler, Fukuda & Kojima. I prefer those two Japanese girls, sometimes Fukuda, sometimes Kojima; although Fukuda has the edge because she plays every sonata of her two CDs on that excellent Viennese anonymous (ca. 1785) from the collection of Edwin Beunk. Dütschler (a Bilson's student) is good, but I feel she is not that engaged to this music like Fukuda or Kojima. Anyway, I consider the Brilliant set as the best introduction to Haydn's piano sonatas on period instruments (or replicas). Additionally, van Oort and Hoogland are top-shelf recommendations.  :)   

Interesting, thanks for that. I listened to 1 Hoogland disk and 1 Oort disk just to get a feel for the set, but in truth, I am so overloaded with Haydn keyboard disks (honest to god!) that I can't say anything about what I heard last year with those. Maybe I should start taking notes...   :)   I have Dütschler playing quite a lot of Mozart with Oort on that Mozart set. I think she is a very good player, but if she is unengaged in these recordings, that's unfortunate. :-\

I got this disk today, you might be interested in it from an historical perspective.

I am a fan of Haebler, I think her Mozart solo piano stuff is excellent. She also plays a fortepiano, I have some JC Bach concertos by here that I enjoy. But this is one of the first fortepiano disks ever made, it was recorded in 1968!! There is just 1 review there and the guy sounds a little nuts, but he is very positive about it anyway. So WTF, I bought  copy. Put ole Ingrid there with my young HIP-PI chicks. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Malcolm Bilson - Hob 16 39 Sonata in G for Fortepiano 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 19, 2011, 05:32:20 PM
I have Dütschler playing quite a lot of Mozart with Oort on that Mozart set. I think she is a very good player, but if she is unengaged in these recordings, that's unfortunate. :-\

I don't want to say anything against Dütschler because I consider her an excellent fortepianist and harpsichordist. I just recall the Japanese fortepianists a bit more engaded than Dütschler. I will probably listen to some of those CDs tonight, maybe Fukuda (CD10) will be "the one" and then Dütschler to compare and to decide if I have chaged my mind about this.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 19, 2011, 05:45:33 PM
I don't want to say anything against Dütschler because I consider her an excellent fortepianist and harpsichordist. I just recall the Japanese fortepianists a bit more engaged than Dütschler. I will probably listen to some of those CD's tonight, maybe Fukuda (CD10) will be "the one" and then Dütschler to compare and to decide if I have changed my mind about this.  :)

Yeah, gotcha. These are works that really invite the player into the party. That was Haydn's way, he treated the performer way better than many composers. One shouldn't turn down that sort of invitation. :)  I reckon I will be taking those disks out of the Big Box for a good listening. :)

8)

DavidW

I listened to Weber a bit in high school, than wrote him off as no Beethoven.  A long time passed.  I forgot about him.

Last night, I listened to his Variations for Trumpet and Orchestra.  Wow! what tricky trumpet playing.  Beautiful music, but sounds balls to the wall hard.  I could practically have an asthma attack just listening to it!  Anyway I wanted to say that I was wrong about Weber and will have to explore his music.

I know, I know early Romantic why am I posting on this thread?  Well I checked the first post and by the date range given I'm allowed to post about Weber. 0:)

So what works do you like of Weber?

Scarpia

Quote from: haydnfan on April 21, 2011, 10:51:32 AM
I listened to Weber a bit in high school, than wrote him off as no Beethoven.  A long time passed.  I forgot about him.

Last night, I listened to his Variations for Trumpet and Orchestra.  Wow! what tricky trumpet playing.  Beautiful music, but sounds balls to the wall hard.  I could practically have an asthma attack just listening to it!  Anyway I wanted to say that I was wrong about Weber and will have to explore his music.

I know, I know early Romantic why am I posting on this thread?  Well I checked the first post and by the date range given I'm allowed to post about Weber. 0:)

The clarinet concerti are the most popular works.  I recently got Norrington's recording of his two symphonies but have not listened yet.

I think Weber's most significant work was his famous remark after hearing the 7th symphony the Beethoven was "ripe for the madhouse."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 21, 2011, 10:51:32 AM

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 21, 2011, 11:25:05 AM
The clarinet concerti are the most popular works.  I recently got Norrington's recording of his two symphonies but have not listened yet.

I think Weber's most significant work was his famous remark after hearing the 7th symphony the Beethoven was "ripe for the madhouse."

Yes, the clarinet concerti are among the best. And as I mentioned earlier, the Grand Duo for Clarinet and Pianoforte, and also the Clarinet Quintet are 2 very nice works. I have a huge folder full at home, I'll run down through there this evening. Personally, Wagner and I are both rather fond of his opera "Der Freischutz" (The Freeshooter) also. Dickie says it was a huge influence on him. I don't know... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on April 21, 2011, 11:50:17 AM
- and regarding the extent of the influence of Der Freischutz on Wagner, I'd say not nearly enough.
:)

:D  Yes, it was probably the single most influential German work of the 19th century. Weber is not to be overlooked; IMO he is the Father of Romanticism.  :)

8)

DavidW

I'll probably skip the author... looks like I'll follow what Scarpia said and start with clarinet concertos.  I'll come back for chamber if I like those ccs.  Any PI recordings, or is MI better here anyway?

Leo K.

Wow! This is such a great Requiem!

8)

Other than this, I'm still exploring Haydn's sonatas on fortepiano, as well as listening to Beethoven contemporaries, such as Boely, Reicha, Cramer, etc  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 21, 2011, 04:11:08 PM
Wow! This is such a great Requiem!

8)

Other than this, I'm still exploring Haydn's sonatas on fortepiano, as well as listening to Beethoven contemporaries, such as Boely, Reicha, Cramer, etc  :)

Yes, Rejcha's is an unique voice. Despite that I don't seek out Requiem's,  I have a lot of his other music. He is that true rarity; a contemporary of Beethoven who deserves not to get lost in the backscatter. :)

I have a little bit of Cramer, he was quite admired by Beethoven himself both as a player and a composer. I enjoy his sonatas;

[asin]B0000VAWES[/asin]

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Berlin Radio SO / Nagano   Domingo / Orgonosova / Schmidt - Bia 363 Op 85 Oratorio "Christus am Ölberge" (Christ on the Mount of Olives) pt 01 - Introduzione

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 21, 2011, 04:25:01 PM
I have a little bit of Cramer, he was quite admired by Beethoven himself both as a player and a composer. I enjoy his sonatas;

Gurn - yes, I have that same Cramer 2-CD set w/ John Khouri; I went ahead and purchased several other recordings of his, including the two inserted above of Hummel & Eberl but on a different restored fortepiano; exchanged some e-mails w/ him and left a post in the Old Musical Instruments Thread HERE, for those who may be interested - Dave  :D

SonicMan46

Merci, Luigi (c. 1695-1750) - Late Baroque/early classical music periods - just perusing the Tactus offerings at BRO (Berkshire Record Outlet) and saw the one below of the Flute Sonatas, Op. 1 - i.e. flute w/ b.c., which includes 2 instruments, a bassoon and a harpsichord (w/ Roberto Loreggian) - completely 'new' composer to me - he ended up in London for much of his adult life (last name listed at times in the liner notes as Mercy).  Flute playing is immaculate and the recording sound superb (and $5 from BRO)!

The other Tactus disc of this composer that intrigues me is added below (right), i.e. Bassoon Sonatas, Op. 3; same bassoon performer, i.e. Paolo Tognon, but on the Amazon listings, there are 5 players per work - just over $8 on the MPlace - might take a chance?   :D