Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 27, 2011, 11:00:57 AM
Wow! This is a really fantastic CD  8)

A new composer to my ears, Christoph Schaffrath (1709 - 1763) but absolutely amazing music. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Schaffrath

Yes, he would be new to me. I have read about him, but not heard his music yet. I am supposing him to be one of that legion; Early Classical.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

In 200 years, Henning can creep into this Corner! ; )

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Apollon on April 27, 2011, 11:19:55 AM
In 200 years, Henning can creep into this Corner! ; )

And by then, we'll probably be proud to have him... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 27, 2011, 11:19:15 AM
Yes, he would be new to me. I have read about him, but not heard his music yet. I am supposing him to be one of that legion; Early Classical.   :)

8)

Yup. In that wonderful land between Baroque and Classical  ;D A little galant-like, and still sounds a little Baroque too!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 27, 2011, 11:47:14 AM
Yup. In that wonderful land between Baroque and Classical  ;D A little galant-like, and still sounds a little Baroque too!

Ah, like Vivaldi! early CPE Bach.... :D

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on April 27, 2011, 11:00:57 AM
Wow! This is a really fantastic CD  8)

A new composer to my ears, Christoph Schaffrath (1709 - 1763) but absolutely amazing music. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Schaffrath

Hi Leo - I've had and have enjoyed that disc above for a while - Epoca Barocca is just an excellent group and I own other discs w/ them performing, so likely a combination thrill of the music & the group; amazingly I have not checked out other music by this composer, so will be curious about the comments of others -  :)

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 27, 2011, 07:13:51 AM
All of those discs are excellent, dear "46"!  :)

Hey Antoine - yep, added a '46' - been getting bumped out of the forum - assume some A$$HOLE running password scripts on my screen name - will give this a try for a while - not a big issue; if that does not work then I'll need to change my sign-in name according to Rob's thread - irritating if one is composing a longish post!  Dave  :-\

Leo K.

There is nothing like the sound of Haydn, HIP style :)

I've Been listening to Bruggen's Haydn set of the London Symphonies and I'm so blown away. I'm used to the Fischer set, so what a refreshing experience of Haydn to hear Bruggen's take! 8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 28, 2011, 06:23:01 AM
There is nothing like the sound of Haydn, HIP style :)

I've Been listening to Bruggen's Haydn set of the London Symphonies and I'm so blown away. I'm used to the Fischer set, so what a refreshing experience of Haydn to hear Bruggen's take! 8)

Yup, very different. On MI I prefer Fischer to all the old dead guys, but these works really want the tonal color of PI. :)

8)

chasmaniac

This was released quite recently. I'm a fan of Rolla and will almost certainly pick it up at some point, but I wonder if anyone here has heard it?

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on April 28, 2011, 07:19:59 AM
Seems to me I remember that there was a set of Haydn symphonies recorded in the room at Esterháza where they most likely were performed during Haydn's time.  Am I getting them mixed up with some keyboard concertos?  I do remember something recorded there.  :)

I could use some help dusting off my nearly 60 year old brain?

Yeah, the Fischer cycle was recorded in Esterhazy. Nice sound (after they got it perfected). But he does use a larger than actual orchestra and modern instruments. I like the cycle, but I prefer period instruments and smallish ensembles and all that goes with that. Just me. I will be 60 in a few months too. Together we can help each other through this. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 28, 2011, 07:22:13 AM
This was released quite recently. I'm a fan of Rolla and will almost certainly pick it up at some point, but I wonder if anyone here has heard it?

I have 3 or 4 Rolla disks, but not that one. It is good music, I would personally have a go with that disk, I think you will be pleased. As always though, let me know if it sucks.... :D

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 28, 2011, 07:53:38 AM
I will be 60 in a few months too.

Gurn's been saying that for the past several years. ;)

Nobody on this forum ever got around to listening to the Davies set right?

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 28, 2011, 07:55:20 AM
I have 3 or 4 Rolla disks, but not that one. It is good music, I would personally have a go with that disk, I think you will be pleased. As always though, let me know if it sucks.... :D

8)

I'll take that as an unconditional endorsement, and if it sucks I'll send Steve Martin the bill. :)
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 28, 2011, 08:03:41 AM
Gurn's been saying that for the past several years. ;)

Nobody on this forum ever got around to listening to the Davies set right?

I'm on a Haydn list and it got less than stellar reviews over there. As in very spotty, some excellent efforts and some real bombs. I don't need another MI cycle so I won't be the guinea pig on this one. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 28, 2011, 08:07:42 AM
I'll take that as an unconditional endorsement, and if it sucks I'll send Steve Martin the bill. :)

Send it c/o 'Fred's Bank'.   :D

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 24, 2010, 07:56:44 AM
Witt, Friedrich (1770-1836) - yet another apparently 'lost composer' from the classical transitional era; same birth year as Beethoven; extremely short Bio HERE; an unknown to me until acquiring the disc below from BRO; the usual MDG quality - unexpectedly excellent review (10/10 rating) by David Hurwitz reprinted HERE!

Not much more available at Amazon on disc w/ his name as the only composer; the music on this recording is well captured w/ superb sound - the Flute Concerto is worth the price of admission.  Symphony No. 6, Sinfonie Turque is a lot of fun w/ Turkish sounds/moods throughout.  Apparently, Witt wrote 27 Symphonies w/ the last 9 being published as Symphonies 1-9, according to the liner notes; he likely wrote much other instrumental (including chamber works) music, which has been at least 'unrecorded' or lost?   :)

I'm going to be giving this a try in the very near future  8)

Meanwhile, I'm still listening to Reicha, Schaffrath, and Haydn (Gardiner's recording of "Six Great Masses" and Bruggen's Haydn).  :)

Leo K.

It sure is nice hearing Haydn's masses again! What a great set this is  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 28, 2011, 03:30:37 PM

It sure is nice hearing Haydn's masses again! What a great set this is  8)

I agree, I like those performances too. They have an odd position for me though; the period instruments and the singing are all very good, but in my head I feel that in order to be "authentic" (damn, what an awful word that is) they just shouldn't sound like they were being done at St. Stephen's in Vienna instead of the Martinkirche in Eisenstadt, which IS where they were played. But as simply performance of masses with no thoughts like that in my head at all, I think they are excellent!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Boston SO \ Munch  - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 1st mvmt - Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso

Gurn Blanston

Just sitting down tonight with a new acquisition, Volume 5 of the Complete Fortepiano Sonatas of Muzio Clementi, performed by Constantino Mastroprimiano.

3 disks, like each of the first 4 volumes. Starting with Op 34 (2 sonatas followed by 2 capriccios), we are now moving into the realm of the mature Clementi, who was a true master of the pianoforte by any standard. I'm really liking this, and recommending without hesitation. Oh wait, I hesitate; the last 3 volumes haven't been available in the States. I've gotten them from MDT in England (mdt.co.uk ) and have been delighted with both their price and their service. They are my 'go-to' guys when I have to buy from Europe. Anyway, I will be delighted to have this entire set, but am already very pleased with what I have in hand. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Constantino Mastroprimiano - Clementi Op 34 #1 Sonata in C 1st mvmt - Allegro con spirito

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 28, 2011, 04:16:43 PM
I agree, I like those performances too. They have an odd position for me though; the period instruments and the singing are all very good, but in my head I feel that in order to be "authentic" (damn, what an awful word that is) they just shouldn't sound like they were being done at St. Stephen's in Vienna instead of the Martinkirche in Eisenstadt, which IS where they were played. But as simply performance of masses with no thoughts like that in my head at all, I think they are excellent!   :)

Now Gurn - you're starting to go 'overboard' here about 'authentic' performances!  ;) ;D   I also own those Haydn Masses and am perfectly happy w/ their performances and sound - recommended IMHO -  :)

I'm just up to Vol. 4 of the Clementi performances w/ M. on the fortepiano - guess that I need to add this 5th volume to my wish list - Dave  8)