Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 01, 2011, 11:32:32 AM
Yeah, don't have that one, have this one though:

and this one with those same guys:

[asin]B000B0WOHQ[/asin]

I like trios too. Like the balancing act the composer has to do to make them sound right. Boccherini did it better than most. :)

Is it from the Big Brüggen Box of all his Haydn symphonies? Or single disks? Or is there an actual London Symphonies box out there that I've never seen?

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Pinnock, Trevor/English Concert - Hob 07g C1 Concerto in C for Oboe 3rd mvmt - Rondo: Allegro

I don't have the ones you got, but I can see them on the horizon  :)

Yeah, Boccherini's string trios are amazing indeed...WOW again!

:o

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 11:36:43 AM
Well there are philips duos of the Londons, but if there is a huge Bruggen box out there... that would be nice *cough* if it's in print. :D

Actually, I don't know if it IS in print anymore. The other day when you were asking about jpc sales it reminded me that David Ross got this box there for peanuts (it was 175 peanuts at Amazon).  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Christine Schornsheim - Hob 16 05a Sonata #28 in D for Keyboard (inc) 2nd mvmt - Menuet
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on May 01, 2011, 11:40:13 AM
Gurn, it's the Phillips Duos I have of the Bruggen Haydn London symphonies. By the way, I would love the complete symphonies box from Bruggen!  :-*
Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 11:36:43 AM
Well there are philips duos of the Londons, but if there is a huge Bruggen box out there... that would be nice *cough* if it's in print. :D

See above. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Christine Schornsheim - Hob 16 05a Sonata #28 in D for Keyboard (inc) 2nd mvmt - Menuet

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Oh yeah I looked for that, JPC doesn't carry it anymore.  Those Bruggen recordings go out of print fast it seems.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 01, 2011, 11:44:00 AM

Actually, I don't know if it IS in print anymore. The other day when you were asking about jpc sales it reminded me that David Ross got this box there for peanuts (it was 175 peanuts at Amazon).  :)

IIRC (but I'm not totally sure), this box was not a bargain on JPC, but it was rather cheap, I think slightly less than EUR 80 and then it went OOP. I recall it because I was stupid enough to not take advantage of that offer on time. The real bargain was the set with Beethoven's symphonies, sold by EUR 14 or something so before to go OOP.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 11:47:25 AM
Oh yeah I looked for that, JPC doesn't carry it anymore.  Those Bruggen recordings go out of print fast it seems.

Philips are a bitch that way. They have some of the best recordings in their vaults! >:(

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 22 07 Missa Brevis "Kleine Orgelmesse" pt 3 - Credo

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2011, 11:52:25 AM
IIRC (but I'm not totally sure), this box was not a bargain on JPC, but it was rather cheap, I think slightly less than EUR 80 and then it went OOP. I recall it because I was stupid enough to not take advantage of that offer on time. The real bargain was the set with Beethoven's symphonies, selled by EUR 14 or something so before to go OOP.  :)

No, I'm pretty sure that David said he got it for $30 or something around there. it was phenomenal anyway. Even $80 as you say would have been a bargain, since that sold for $14/disk at the best of times.  :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 22 07 Missa Brevis "Kleine Orgelmesse" pt 4 - Sanctus

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 01, 2011, 11:55:24 AM
No, I'm pretty sure that David said he got it for $30 or something around there. it was phenomenal anyway. Even $80 as you say would have been a bargain, since that sold for $14/disk at the best of times.  :-\

Well, it's an open question for David Ross.  :)

DavidW

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2011, 11:52:25 AM
IIRC (but I'm not totally sure), this box was not a bargain on JPC, but it was rather cheap, I think slightly less than EUR 80 and then it went OOP. I recall it because I was stupid enough to not take advantage of that offer on time. The real bargain was the set with Beethoven's symphonies, sold by EUR 14 or something so before to go OOP.  :)

I regret not picking up that Beethoven set when I had the chance.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2011, 11:57:50 AM
Well, it's an open question for David Ross.  :)

:D

Well, if I didn't already have it, I would let him make $5 off me plus I would pay the postage.... ;D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 22 07 Missa Brevis "Kleine Orgelmesse" pt 6 - Agnus Dei

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 12:01:07 PM
I regret not picking up that Beethoven set when I had the chance.

I urged you.... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 22 07 Missa Brevis "Kleine Orgelmesse" pt 6 - Agnus Dei

DavidW

Yeah I know... I got distracted with PI Mozart and what do you know?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 12:04:41 PM
Yeah I know... I got distracted with PI Mozart and what do you know?

Mozart! That bastard! >:(   He'll do you every time, Newman was sniffing up the right passage there... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 23a G 09 Motet "O coelitum beati" pt 1 - Aria: O coelitum beati amores

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 01, 2011, 12:09:02 PM
Mozart! That bastard! >:(   He'll do you every time, Newman was sniffing up the right passage there... :D

I recall when I began to participate on this board your avatar was Mozart. I know you probably love both composers at similar degree, but I always thought that your personality is more Haydnian than Mozartean. Just saying...  :) 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2011, 12:15:44 PM
I recall when I began to participate on this board your avatar was Mozart. I know you probably love both composers at similar degree, but I always thought that your personality is more Haydnian than Mozartean. Just saying...  :)

Yeah, I'm a huge Mozart fan. Before devoting the last three years to Haydn, I earlier devoted 3 to Mozart (and 3 to Beethoven too). It wasn't until I really started researching Haydn that I began to feel a strong bond to his music. My loss. Although I am like Mozart with my pseudo-Tourette's... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 23b 01 Salve Regina  pt 1 - Salve Regina

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 01, 2011, 12:19:26 PM
Yeah, I'm a huge Mozart fan. Before devoting the last three years to Haydn, I earlier devoted 3 to Mozart (and 3 to Beethoven too). It wasn't until I really started researching Haydn that I began to feel a strong bond to his music. My loss. Although I am like Mozart with my pseudo-Tourette's... :D

It's curious, but at first sight my two favorite composers (Bach and Haydn) don't share many common features. But never another composer has appealed my soul so much as them. Always, almost in every piece, my connection with their music is perfect. I really adore those two gigantic geniuses, working every day with an iron sense of duty and never complaining about their destiny, even in the worst times.   

DavidW

Bach and Haydn are my two favorite composers as well, and it is funny since they sound musically so different.  I might not have really gotten into Haydn though if it weren't for Gurn and a former gmg poster.

Antoine Marchand

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 12:34:38 PM
Bach and Haydn are my two favorite composers as well, and it is funny since they sound musically so different.  I might not have really gotten into Haydn though if it weren't for Gurn and a former gmg poster.

Herman?

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Elly Ameling, Jörg Demus - Hob 26a 14 Lied for Soprano & Keyboard 'Lachet nicht, Mädchen'

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2011, 12:30:50 PM
It's curious, but at first sight my two favorite composers (Bach and Haydn) don't share many common features. But never another composer has appealed my soul so much as them. Always, almost in every piece, my connection with their music is perfect. I really adore those two gigantic geniuses, working every day with an iron sense of duty and never complaining about their destiny, even in the worst times.

That aspect of Haydn (and Bach too, of course) where he was like "a new symphony tomorrow evening? Certainly your Highness? Just the one? Ah, another in the relative minor? Very well"; just blows me away. Not that they could do it; they all could do it, it was their job. But that they could do it so well, consistently so much better than everyone else was doing it. I am supposing that is what genius consists in. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Elly Ameling, Jörg Demus - Hob 26a 14 Lied for Soprano & Keyboard 'Lachet nicht, Mädchen'