Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 27, 2011, 04:14:34 AM

Tell us how you really feel, Que... :D

8)

Dissapointed by spending money on a CD I didn't like... :'( ;D And I adore Pandolfo! :o 0:)

OK, OK, guys - I'll give it another listen this weekend. :)

Q

milk

I thought I'd "get into the game" of this forum by posting some of my recent downloads. The first is a clavichord recording by Mathieu Dupouy. I'm enjoying it a lot. I thought I'd throw up this new-ish Soler recording by Pieter-Jan Belder. Belder is playing an early fortepiano on this recording (sorry I don't know what make it is). For some reason I have Soler classified as Baroque on my playlists. However, I think this particular recording shows an earlier example of Sonatas in the classical form (here I'm stretching the length of my knowledge - as it were). I'm really enjoying these recordings.

milk

I hope I'm in the right period for the recordings I posted.

Que

Quote from: milk on May 29, 2011, 06:01:07 AM
I hope I'm in the right period for the recordings I posted.

I think so! :)

Gurn's speciality is the early Classical "transitional period", bridging the Baroque and Classical periods. Under his influence I'm under its spell too, though I came from the opposite direction!  :D (Baroque)

Q

Leo K.

Quote from: milk on May 29, 2011, 05:59:13 AM
I thought I'd "get into the game" of this forum by posting some of my recent downloads. The first is a clavichord recording by Mathieu Dupouy. I'm enjoying it a lot. I thought I'd throw up this new-ish Soler recording by Pieter-Jan Belder. Belder is playing an early fortepiano on this recording (sorry I don't know what make it is). For some reason I have Soler classified as Baroque on my playlists. However, I think this particular recording shows an earlier example of Sonatas in the classical form (here I'm stretching the length of my knowledge - as it were). I'm really enjoying these recordings.

Those look like some fine recordings! And that Soler disk looks like my cup of tea, since I'm collecting keyboard sonatas from this era.

;D

Que

Quote from: Leo K on May 29, 2011, 06:24:01 AM
Those look like some fine recordings! And that Soler disk looks like my cup of tea, since I'm collecting keyboard sonatas from this era.

;D

I'd strongly recommend Belder's Soler series - fantastic.  :) Belder at his best IMO (so far).

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 29, 2011, 06:27:38 AM
I'd strongly recommend Belder's Soler series - fantastic.  :) Belder at his best IMO (so far).

Q

I concur: the best Soler in town.  :)

Leo K.

Quote from: Leon on May 27, 2011, 04:01:49 AM
I am listening right now to these by Abel

[asin]B000000AHY[/asin]  [asin]B000001RWM[/asin]  [asin]B0000045KF[/asin]   

And do not share your opinion about the music.

:)

I have the top two of those Abel disks and have returned to them as well. His solo Gamba works sound much more serious than his symphonies and concertos  :o  Perhaps it's the nature of chamber music, that brings out a different Abel, that I'm hearing in Pandolfo's Drexel Manuscript recording discussed above.

8)

Leo K.

Q

Awesome, I will check Belder's Soler series out!

The only disk of Soler I have is the Naxos release of Soler's Sonatas, Vol.1 with Gilbert Rowland. I really like it.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Leo K on May 29, 2011, 06:33:25 AM
I have the top two of those Abel disks and have returned to them as well. His solo Gamba works sound much more serious than his symphonies and concertos  :o  Perhaps it's the nature of chamber music, that brings out a different Abel, that I'm hearing in Pandolfo's Drexel Manuscript recording discussed above.

I love that seriousness, but I guess it's simply the nature of the viola da gamba as a soloist instrument. It's a nostalgic instrument, a sort of good-bye or slow departure, frequently thought like the instrumental version of the human voice. I think this feature is probably stressed in Abel, the last gambist of his age, being the viola da gamba an old-fashioned instrument in the second middle of the XVIII Century.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on May 29, 2011, 06:42:02 AM
Awesome, I will check Belder's Soler series out!

The only disk of Soler I have is the Naxos release of Soler's Sonatas, Vol.1 with Gilbert Rowland. I really like it.

Hi Leo - I have Belder's first 2 volumes (4 discs); on Amazon there are now Vols. 3 & 4 being offered!

Another 'fun' disc is a single w/ Maggie Cole on Virgin (my cover is different and an older one) - she plays about half the works on the recording on a fortepiano and the others on a harpsichord - Dave  :D

Leo K.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 29, 2011, 06:48:45 AM
I love that seriousness, but I guess it's simply the nature of the viola da gamba as a soloist instrument. It's a nostalgic instrument, a sort of good-bye or slow departure, frequently thought like the instrumental version of the human voice. I think this feature is probably stressed in Abel, the last gambist of his age, being the viola da gamba an old-fashioned instrument in the second middle of the XVIII Century.  :)

I love that seriousness too. I have a modest collection of Gamba recordings, and love the tone of the instrument.  You are right about it being an instrument of nostalgia, a thought I haven't had about the tone before, but I strongly agree now!

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 29, 2011, 07:04:24 AM
Hi Leo - I have Belder's first 2 volumes (4 discs); on Amazon there are now Vols. 3 & 4 being offered!

Another 'fun' disc is a single w/ Maggie Cole on Virgin (my cover is different and an older one) - she plays about half the works on the recording on a fortepiano and the others on a harpsichord - Dave  :D

Dave, thanks for the heads up on the Maggie Cole!

Leo K.

I am in an early sonata mood this morning, and after hearing Soler, I turned to this wonderful disk, Sonatas by Johan Agrell (1701-1765):

The music is Galant, but not just pretty on the outside. There is an undercurrent of melancholy, or thoughtfulness in the sound of the melodies and harmony. Perhaps this is what Eva Nordernfelt brings to the music, whatever it is, this recording is beautiful. I wish I knew the providence of the Harpsichord, it sounds ravishing.

Quickie from the Wiki:

QuoteJohan Agrell (1 February 1701 – 19 January 1765) was a late German/Swedish baroque composer.
He was born in Löth, Östergötland, a province in Sweden and studied in Uppsala. By 1734 he was a violinist at the Kassel court, travelling in England, France, Italy and elsewhere. From 1746 onward, he was Kapellmeister in Nuremberg. He wrote occasional vocal works and numerous symphonies, harpsichord concertos and sonatas, many of which were published. He was a fluent composer in the north German galant style of the time, and is also an appreciated musician and conductor. In a book by Per Lindfors, it is said that Agrell composed a total of at least 22 symphonies. He died at Nuremberg.

Gurn Blanston

I haven't those Soler's, but rather these disks on Pierre Verany label played by Jean Brosse;

Excuse the poor quality scan... nonetheless, there is nothi8ng poor quality about the playing. His Fandango is excellent! I am going to check out the Belder though. I have enjoyed his playing in some other things (Scarlatti & Bach).

I see we have a new contributor, wonderful! Welcome, Milk. Even though I have no taste for your eponymous dairy product, it is nice to have you here. :D

You may recall that recently I recommended a book to Leo, which was The Sonata in the Classic Era by William Newman. As is my weakness, of course I began to reread it as soon as I had it in my hands. And as is also my weakness, I began to order disks to fill up spaces in my listening.

So these are now on the way. It seems that one of them has been mentioned before, by Sonic Dave, IIRC.

[asin]B0031O7UYG[/asin]
Yes, by the inventor of the Alberti Bass! Last time I read the book, there was no recording of his music. Now there is this one.
[asin]B0015P2FQG[/asin]
Galuppi was famous for opera but also wrote well over 100 keyboard sonatas.

And finally, this one here.

What, no Amazon link?  No, I had to track down the performer and order it directly from him (he's probably got a closet full!). It should be here very soon. Wolf was a student of CPE Bach and wrote in a similar style. I understand that he was very inventive and melodic, a great combination!

Here is something you should never do if you want to conserve your resources. Never get a first-class book that recommends things that you already like. I'm still in the first chapter... :-\     :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Leipzig Gewandhaus \ Konwitschny - Op 125 symphony #9 in d 3rd mvmt - Adagio molto e cantabile
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 29, 2011, 08:10:47 AM
I haven't those Soler's, but rather these disks on Pierre Verany label played by Jean Brosse;

Excuse the poor quality scan... nonetheless, there is nothi8ng poor quality about the playing. His Fandango is excellent! I am going to check out the Belder though. I have enjoyed his playing in some other things (Scarlatti & Bach).

I see we have a new contributor, wonderful! Welcome, Milk. Even though I have no taste for your eponymous dairy product, it is nice to have you here. :D

You may recall that recently I recommended a book to Leo, which was The Sonata in the Classic Era by William Newman. As is my weakness, of course I began to reread it as soon as I had it in my hands. And as is also my weakness, I began to order disks to fill up spaces in my listening.

So these are now on the way. It seems that one of them has been mentioned before, by Sonic Dave, IIRC.

[asin]B0031O7UYG[/asin]
Yes, by the inventor of the Alberti Bass! Last time I read the book, there was no recording of his music. Now there is this one.
[asin]B0015P2FQG[/asin]
Galuppi was famous for opera but also wrote well over 100 keyboard sonatas.

And finally, this one here.

What, no Amazon link?  No, I had to track down the performer and order it directly from him (he's probably got a closet full!). It should be here very soon. Wolf was a student of CPE Bach and wrote in a similar style. I understand that he was very inventive and melodic, a great combination!

Here is something you should never do if you want to conserve your resources. Never get a first-class book that recommends things that you already like. I'm still in the first chapter... :-\     :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Leipzig Gewandhaus \ Konwitschny - Op 125 symphony #9 in d 3rd mvmt - Adagio molto e cantabile

Nice!

I would like to track the Wolf recording down sometime, that is right up my alley. I also need to hear Alberti yet  ;D

As for Galuppi, he is a recent discovery for me too, here are the recordings I am enjoying of his work, played by Ilario Gregoletto on a harpischord:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on May 29, 2011, 10:50:10 AM
Nice!

I would like to track the Wolf recording down sometime, that is right up my alley. I also need to hear Alberti yet  ;D

As for Galuppi, he is a recent discovery for me too, here are the recordings I am enjoying of his work, played by Ilario Gregoletto on a harpischord:

Leo,
Yes, I'm looking forward to that one, since when I first read the book I tried to find something back then too, to no avail. Now one with a clavichord!

Those Galuppi recordings look good. I've never heard of that label (which means nothing, of course), do they specialize in this area? That is, 18th century Italian music. That's what I like about Tactus, they very much specialize. Well, I'll let you know about these when I get them. Sonic Dave probably has them all already. He has become Our American Harry here of late... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing: Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 01 090 Symphony #90 in C 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro assai
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

More Galuppi of interest:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Below (i.e. at the bottom) is a post I left in this thread about a month ago regarding Luigi Merci - well, I picked up the bassoon recording and have really enjoyed the performances; the liner notes were not clear on the 'type' of instrument used by Paolo Tognon; so, I sent e-mails to Tactus & to the performer and finally today received a response - great!  :D

Immediately below is a portion of the information sent me by Mr. Tognon, who performs the bassoon parts on each of these Merci CDs - as I expected this is indeed a Baroque bassoon and appears to be a reconstructed one by Oliver Cottet after one from the mid-18th century.  For me this makes these discs even more special, esp. if you're a lover of the bassoon!  Dave  :)

QuoteOf course I used a baroque bassoon, as you can read into the booklet of the two CD's. My baroque bassoon is a copy made by the french woodwind maker O. Cottet realized on 1995 after an original one preserved in Paris originally from 1760 ca.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 22, 2011, 07:11:23 AM
Merci, Luigi (c. 1695-1750) - Late Baroque/early classical music periods - just perusing the Tactus offerings at BRO (Berkshire Record Outlet) and saw the one below of the Flute Sonatas, Op. 1 - i.e. flute w/ b.c., which includes 2 instruments, a bassoon and a harpsichord (w/ Roberto Loreggian) - completely 'new' composer to me - he ended up in London for much of his adult life (last name listed at times in the liner notes as Mercy).  Flute playing is immaculate and the recording sound superb (and $5 from BRO)!

The other Tactus disc of this composer that intrigues me is added below (right), i.e. Bassoon Sonatas, Op. 3; same bassoon performer, i.e. Paolo Tognon, but on the Amazon listings, there are 5 players per work - just over $8 on the MPlace - might take a chance?   :D

milk

Q
I was surprised and interested to find Belder switching to the fortepiano. Are there many other recordings of Soler on the fortepiano? I have a few of his predecessor Scarlatti on fortepiano.  Anyway, it is a lovely sounding recording.