Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: clavichorder on June 09, 2011, 05:27:20 AM
I'm seeing a trend with number 11 and 22, shame I don't have 22 since iTunes mislabeled them(I ripped them from another person's set)

How do you post CD images?

I'll be back later to chat, busy right now!!

You post an image by, say, at Amazon, you can right-click the image and choose "Copy Image Location" in Firefox, that is. Then when you come here, in your post you choose the little icon with the painting in it and click that once, then paste your link inside it (the link should end with .jpg). That's it. Alternatively, you can copy the ASIN number at Amazon and come over here and paste it inside the ASIN deal, and it will not only make the picture, but also put a link to the disk on Amazon.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

On the amazon link look for the asin, for example on one of those links I see ASIN: B004DIPL0O

Well if you look up when composing a post you will see an amazon button clicking on it makes the following appear: [asin][/asin], now simply copy and paste the asin # into the asin tags like so [asin]B004DIPL0O[/asin] that will generate an image and a link and anything bought from using that link supports the forum. :)

[asin]B004DIPL0O[/asin]

DavidW

Quote from: clavichorder on June 09, 2011, 05:27:20 AM
I'm seeing a trend with number 11 and 22, shame I don't have 22 since iTunes mislabeled them(I ripped them from another person's set)

#26 is also swell, I just forgot about it.  And don't double count those symphonies (I'm haydnfan on TC). ;D  If you google the specific movement names you might be able to figure out which one is #22.  Alternatively if you know the specific recording, you might be able to figure out #22 based on the timings. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on June 09, 2011, 05:39:55 AM
#26 is also swell, I just forgot about it.  And don't double count those symphonies (I'm haydnfan on TC). ;D  If you google the specific movement names you might be able to figure out which one is #22.  Alternatively if you know the specific recording, you might be able to figure out #22 based on the timings. :)

Or even tell me which recordings they are. I think I have all of them... well, not Dorati, but the rest of them. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

clavichorder

Wait, is Lamentation, 22 or 26?  Is there a variance in numbering choice between recordings?  I have Adam Fischer and the Austo-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: clavichorder on June 09, 2011, 11:39:25 AM
Wait, is Lamentation, 22 or 26?  Is there a variance in numbering choice between recordings?  I have Adam Fischer and the Austo-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra.

No, not really. Everyone uses the Hoboken numbering, even though it is wrong. If you find a thread here called "Haydn's Symphonies", I had posted a list of the current thinking on what the proper order of composition is. I can repost later, although I have nothing here at work. :)

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Leo K on June 03, 2011, 03:28:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this! Great find  ;D

Hey, and it's on iTunes too! (I just downloaded it and I'm enjoying now, a rare impulse buy for me, but very affordable at 5.99)  8)

The Teixidor cd is in, and the first quartet has just ended. This guy has Haydn written all over him...wait...is that a touch of Boccherini in the opening of the second piece? Ooooh!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

DavidW

Stupid question: are JC Bach and JCF Bach different composers?

Que

DavidW

Thanks Que!  What do you know two different composers with such similar names.  How many Bachs are there anyway!? :D

chasmaniac

Quote from: DavidW on June 09, 2011, 12:43:04 PM
Stupid question: are JC Bach and JCF Bach different composers?

Yes!

(Where is The Tron-may his springs never rust!-to answer this?)

EDIT: ah, Que got there first, with citations!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

clavichorder

J.C.F. Bach, the "Buckeburg Bach" in between C.P.E. and J.C. in birth order, closer to J.C. with the same mother.  Was said to be the best of the Bach sons at playing his father's works on the organ. 

J.C.(Christian) on the other hand, was the "London Bach", the most popular of any of the Bach's(including the father) in his day.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on June 09, 2011, 12:49:57 PM
Thanks Que!  What do you know two different composers with such similar names.  How many Bachs are there anyway!? :D

David - LOL!  ;D  Probably too many to count!  As I recall the 'Bach Clan' use to have yearly reunions w/ likely a lot of eating, drinking, and of course music - probably the size of some of the medical meetings I use to attend -  :D   Dave

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2011, 06:10:52 AM
David - LOL!  ;D  Probably too many to count!  As I recall the 'Bach Clan' use to have yearly reunions w/ likely a lot of eating, drinking, and of course music - probably the size of some of the medical meetings I use to attend -  :D   Dave

;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DavidW on June 09, 2011, 12:49:57 PM
How many Bachs are there anyway!? :D

Is it really necessary to answer this question, David? Just one, of course. Like there is, for instance, just one Elvis. When the first name is necessary, then we are talking about another Bach.  8)

Marc

Quote from: Antonio Marchand on June 10, 2011, 06:42:01 AM
Is it really necessary to answer this question, David? Just one, of course. [....]

EXACTLY!
In short: the one who composed Oedipus Tex.

Marc

Quote from: DavidW on June 10, 2011, 06:22:27 AM

;D

Nice!
Say, who's the cute girl sitting on the right-hand side of the central figure?

karlhenning

Quote from: Marc on June 12, 2011, 03:37:18 PM
Nice!

A premonitory vision of Hilary Hahn, I think.

Scarpia

Quote from: Marc on June 12, 2011, 03:37:18 PM
Nice!

Mary Magdalene, according to The Da Vinci Code, no?