Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

BENGRAF: 6 String Quartets
Festetics Quartet 

Here's a review from the American Record Guide that provides some information on Bengraf (which is somewhat scare) as well as on this particular recording.

QuoteJoseph Bengraf (1745-91) will likely be unknown to most who collect CDs. Indeed, this is the first recording of his set of six String Quartets and is apparently only the second recording of any of his music. As was generally the case with Hungarian musicians, Bengraf was an immigrant. He was born in Wurzburg, but little is known about his early life. By the 1770s he was living in Hungary and spent the rest of his life there. He served as music director for Hungarian families and eventually worked for Archbishop Jozsef Batthyany in Pest. He later became choirmaster at Pest's downtown church. Here he obtained scores from many Viennese masters.

It is not known when his set of quartets was written--maybe at different times, for the quality varies. Five of the six have three movements, but the final one has four. I wasn't particularly impressed by the first two. 3:II is an intense slow movement; 3:III is a delightful quick movement. From here on the quality improves. The structure in all remains quite simple, though. Thematically they remind me of Haydn, though their overall structure is closer to Haydn's earliest quartets.

The performances seem dedicated. The Festetics Quartet is one of the best period-instruments ensembles. The notes are very thorough and the recordings are good but a trifle dry.

These are really quite peripheral quartets; they will be of greatest interest to those who want a broad overview of late 18th Century quartets.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leon on July 18, 2011, 05:56:44 AM
Some good music from somewhat undervalued Classical era composers:

HOFFMEISTER, F.A.: Viola Concertos / STAMITZ, C.P.: Viola Concerto No. 1 (Victoria Chiang, Baltimore Chamber Orchestra, Thakar)

Boy, I've not thought about Carl Stamitz in a while; own a half dozen discs of his music (mainly chamber works + a single symphony disc) - now playing the disc inserted above, i.e. viola d'amore concertos - the first work is listed as Concerto No. 1 in D Major (same as the viola concerto of Stamitz in the disc discussed by Leon - I'm assuming that these are the same work played on different instruments); some more information on the Viola d'amore HERE:D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 18, 2011, 07:56:22 AM
Boy, I've not thought about Carl Stamitz in a while; own a half dozen discs of his music (mainly chamber works + a single symphony disc) - now playing the disc inserted above, i.e. viola d'amore concertos - the first work is listed as Concerto No. 1 in D Major (same as the viola concerto of Stamitz in the disc discussed by Leon - I'm assuming that these are the same work played on different instruments); some more information on the Viola d'amore HERE:D

Dave,
Yes, that Profil disk is the one I have that I mentioned below. I thought it might be the same work. Having them both in D major makes it hard to use process of elimination... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 18, 2011, 08:08:05 AM
Dave,
Yes, that Profil disk is the one I have that I mentioned below. I thought it might be the same work. Having them both in D major makes it hard to use process of elimination... :D

Yep, a different number and/or key would have help!  ;D  Although I guess that Stamitz could have transposed the same work for different instruments - the viola d'amore was tuned in a variety of ways (according to the link in my post above).

I also was searching for his oeuvre but no luck; according to this Wiki Article, a catalog was published in 1810 but was lost; now I do see some Opus numbers on other Stamitz discs that I own - Dave  :)

Leon

Have been listening to an interesting disc, string quartets from three Swedish Classical era composers - not something I've ever even thought about before!

String Quartets - Anders WESSTROM / Joachim Nikolas EGGERT / Johan Martin de RON (Salomon String Quartet)

The informative booklet says that Sweden did not have a well-defined tradition of quartet writing, at least not as well-defined after Haydn, Mozart and their contemporaries had made their advances in this genre - however, these three examples are fairly straight-forward, but not exhibiting as much motivic develoment as would be found in a Haydn quartet, but still fitting easily in the Classical quartet style.

The three composers are different from each other, the booket identifies Wesstrom and Eggert as the most gifted, Johan Martin de Ron was an amateur and student of Eggert, whose livlihood was as that of a merchant businessman.  His experience in trade might have saved Eggert's life if only Eggert had taken his advice not to travel:

QuoteEggert travelled south, to Osteergotland, perhaps en route for Germany - de Ron despaired. In a letter written in 1812 he writes: "In God's name, come back, Mr Eggert, for to whom shall I now turn to conclude my musical studies? Is it nothing to you that I and all other me friends of music want to see you among us?" And he offers to pay Eggert whatever he asks to eke out his salary as conductor of the Royal Orchestra. But Eggert never returned to Stockholm, and for that matter he never got to Germany either. De Ron, indeed, warned him against travelling to the Continent during the periolous times of the Napoleonic Wars. He knew what he was talking about, because he came from a trading family ...

Are there any businessmen of our time who have the talent, skill and inclination to write music of this quality?  I can't think of any ...

The Salomon Quartet play these works with affection and finesse.

I found it on NML (as were all of these recordings I've mentioned in the last several posts) -  and can say it is a disc I am happy to have found since I never would have heard Classical period music from Sweden in any other way.

:)

Leon

HUMMEL, J.N. / DUSSEK, J.L. / ONSLOW, G.: Piano Quintets (Nepomuk Fortepiano Quintet)

Fantastic disc of three piano quintets (with fortepiano) by three very good but arguably under-recorded Classical era composers.

:D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on July 20, 2011, 11:52:19 AM
HUMMEL, J.N. / DUSSEK, J.L. / ONSLOW, G.: Piano Quintets (Nepomuk Fortepiano Quintet)

Fantastic disc of three piano quintets (with fortepiano) by three very good but arguably under-recorded Classical era composers.

:D

I thought you would like that disk, Leon. I would say that the entire series so far (4 disks IIRC) is equally interesting and enjoyable. I like the one with Cramer and Dussek in particular. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 20, 2011, 11:59:34 AM
I thought you would like that disk, Leon. I would say that the entire series so far (4 disks IIRC) is equally interesting and enjoyable. I like the one with Cramer and Dussek in particular. :)

8)

Three more in a series?  Well, I'll have to look for those -  ;)

Thanks for the head's up!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leon on July 20, 2011, 12:29:51 PM
Three more in a series?  Well, I'll have to look for those -  ;)

Thanks for the head's up!

Gurn - I'm w/ Leon - I've had the CD shown by him for quite a while; is there a series being put out by Brilliant?  Just curious - Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Sorry, guys, I thought I had posted these already!

[asin]B000176JUM[/asin]
[asin]B001LPNV8Q[/asin]
[asin]B000U1ZJOQ[/asin]
[asin]B004CPLEC2[/asin]

What they have in common is that they are all piano quintets with violin, viola, cello & bass. In other words, the same scoring as "The Trout". I, along with many others, thought that was an unusual scoring, since later on we got the "standard" of piano and string quartet. But these guys have found bunches of works in this scoring, representing 25 or more different composers of that era. There are some surprises in here too, like the Limmer, which is one of the best, despite that we've never heard of him!  And good playing too, as you have already discovered from that first disk that you have.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 74 Quartet in g for Strings Op 74 #3 3rd mvmt - Menuet: Allegretto

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 20, 2011, 04:55:18 PM

What they have in common is that they are all piano quintets with violin, viola, cello & bass. In other words, the same scoring as "The Trout". I, along with many others, thought that was an unusual scoring, since later on we got the "standard" of piano and string quartet. But these guys have found bunches of works in this scoring, representing 25 or more different composers of that era. There are some surprises in here too, like the Limmer, which is one of the best, despite that we've never heard of him!  And good playing too, as you have already discovered from that first disk that you have.  :)

Gurn - thanks for the posting of the images - I'm sure these have been already discussed; just after dinner and feeling somewhat lethargic (maybe too much wine -  ;) ;D) - checked my collection and also own the Ries recording, but will definitely look into the other ones - I do like that group!  Dave

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 20, 2011, 04:55:18 PM

[asin]B000176JUM[/asin]
[asin]B001LPNV8Q[/asin]
[asin]B000U1ZJOQ[/asin]
[asin]B004CPLEC2[/asin]

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 74 Quartet in g for Strings Op 74 #3 3rd mvmt - Menuet: Allegretto

Thanks Gurn - I ended up ordering two I didn't have that were very cheap, < $4 - but the other one was only available from overseas so I passed for now.  These are real find.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on July 20, 2011, 05:39:36 PM
Thanks Gurn - I ended up ordering two I didn't have that were very cheap, < $4 - but the other one was only available from overseas so I passed for now.  These are real find.

Leon,
Yes, that's what I thought. Looking at my Amazon purchase dates, I first saw these in 2008, and was immediately taken by them. I got the 4th one as a throw-in on a much larger order from MDT for about £1.5   :)  From reading the booklets, I came away with the idea that there was the potential for several more disks if they are able to get them done. I hope so. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Christine Schornsheim - Hob 03 77 4 Variations for Keyboard on Gott Erhalte pt 1 - Poco Adagio

chasmaniac

Talk of Onslow led me back to my stash. Listened to this just now in the car and enjoyed it immensely. A bass is most effectively substituted for one of the cellos, per the composer's ad libitum instruction.

Edited to add this review:

QuoteThe name of George Onslow is happily cropping up quite often nowadays and I must confess that I have been utterly enthralled by his chamber music after encountering the first volume of quintets on the MD&G label. This second volume featuring Op. 34 and 35 was thus eagerly anticipated by this reviewer.

The A minor work has a splendid opening movement lasting all of thirteen minutes with an almost symphonic scope that is quite marvelously played by Quintetto Momento Musicale. The Minuet is also pretty dapper whilst the pensive Adagio espressivo is also very beautiful. The final Allegro non troppo presto is a suitable conclusion to this fine work that is most certainly one of the most impressive I've heard in recent years.

The G Major is slightly more sunny and optimistic with a rambling Allegro spirituoso assai that opens proceedings in a very positive manner. Onslow again places the slow movement in third place and the Andante cantabile is quite ravishing whilst the Presto finale is also quite magnificent.

I may seem overtly enthusiastic on this composer but MD&G have definitely hit on a rare breed, the unknown and overlooked genius in the shape of George Onslow. The magnificent painting on the front depicting the children of Charles the First also matches perfectly with the previous issue's depiction. The musicians of Quintetto Momento Musicale are sympathetic and committed interpreters summing up one of the major chamber releases of the year.

Copyright © 2004, Gerald Fenech
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on July 21, 2011, 02:16:17 AM
Talk of Onslow led me back to my stash. Listened to this just now in the car and enjoyed it immensely. A bass is most effectively substituted for one of the cellos, per the composer's ad libitum instruction.

Edited to add this review:

chas,
Yes, that's a nice disk, I enjoy it a lot. Onslow is a consistently fine composer. IMO, he is the best composer of chamber music to ever work in France. Other French composers may have done some overall better music, but not in that medium. MD&G has done well by him too, as well as cpo. Nice to at least be able to get some of his work if you are so inclined. :)

8)

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 21, 2011, 04:11:57 AM
Onslow is a consistently fine composer. IMO, he is the best composer of chamber music to ever work in France. Other French composers may have done some overall better music, but not in that medium.

You mean he is without question better as composer of chamber music than Faure and Magnard?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on July 21, 2011, 04:31:36 AM
You mean he is without question better as composer of chamber music than Faure and Magnard?

In my opinion. Although you should note the thread title. We don't talk (or even care about "all time". We talk about the Classical and early Romantic periods.  That said, and being very familiar with Faure at least, my answer stands. :)

8)

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 21, 2011, 04:32:28 AM
In my opinion. :)

Of course. I know that it is your opinion. But I don't know chamber music of Onslow - his symphonies are very very good - but not as good for me to make me expecting his chamber music will be such a miracle to surpass Faure and Magnard. For me Violin Sonata of Magnard is one of two best pieces in that genre I ever heard (the second is Prokofiev's in F minor) his other chamber pieces are very good too and all music of Faure is just excellent. The real sense of my question is if your opinion is so valid for me that I must immediately begin to study Onslow chamber music

So may be I should ask in other form: if Onslow is best who is the second, the third, the fourth...?

Or: What do you think about Magnard's Violin Sonata?

And then there is another important question: which chamber composition of Onslow is the really best of them all?

Leo K.

Quote from: mszczuj on July 21, 2011, 04:59:45 AM
Of course. I know that it is your opinion. But I don't know chamber music of Onslow - his symphonies are very very good - but not as good for me to make me expecting his chamber music will be such a miracle to surpass Faure and Magnard. For me Violin Sonata of Magnard is one of two best pieces in that genre I ever heard (the second is Prokofiev's in F minor) his other chamber pieces are very good too and all music of Faure is just excellent. The real sense of my question is if your opinion is so valid for me that I must immediately begin to study Onslow chamber music

So may be I should ask in other form: if Onslow is best who is the second, the third, the fourth...?

Or: What do you think about Magnard's Violin Sonata?

And then there is another important question: which chamber composition of Onslow is the really best of them all?

Have a listen to Onslows chamber music, there is nothing like one's own experience to judge :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: chasmaniac on July 21, 2011, 02:16:17 AM

Yes, Onslow is quite enjoyable; I've owned the above disc (left) for a while (in fact have about a half dozen of his String Quintets in my collection) - also just put in an Amazon MP order the the disc added above - can't imagine how that one escaped me -  ::) ;D