Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 31, 2011, 11:24:31 AM
Nice info on Zmeskall there, Leo. I have read a lot about him in books on Beethoven, but one thing I hadn't ever taken away from those is that he also was a composer! Thayer, for example, doesn't mention that, despite going on for pages about what good friends they were. I did know about the WoO 32, I always found its subtitle amusing, and in fact it is a nice little work that is frequently overlooked even by folks who are intimately familiar with all of Beethoven's 'big' works. I will look into those quartets. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Goodman, The Hanover Band - Hob 01 071 Symphony in Bb 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Gurn, I think you will enjoy Zmeskall's quartets. Suprisingly they run rather long, and feel rather epic because of it :) In a good way of course  8)

For example, the adagio for the g minor quartet runs about 9:13 minutes in duration  ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 31, 2011, 11:24:31 AM
Nice info on Zmeskall there, Leo. I have read a lot about him in books on Beethoven, but one thing I hadn't ever taken away from those is that he also was a composer! Thayer, for example, doesn't mention that, despite going on for pages about what good friends they were. I did know about the WoO 32, I always found its subtitle amusing, and in fact it is a nice little work that is frequently overlooked even by folks who are intimately familiar with all of Beethoven's 'big' works. I will look into those quartets. :)

Leo & Gurn - not aware of this guy as a composer - thanks for the info - will look into that disc!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Wölfl, Joseph (1773-1812) - String Quartets, Op. 4 w/ the Authentic Quartet - just arrived and my 5th disc of this short-lived composer's music which I have found quite good - he was born in Salzburg and his early teachers there were Leopold Mozart & Michael Haydn; apparently a tall man for the time (over 6') and with large hands that could span an octave and a half on a fortepiano.

A short Wiki Article HERE; interestingly, his works are listed starting w/ an Op. 20 Piano Concerto (of which he wrote 6); Symphonies (2, Op. 40 & 41); String Quartets (Op. 30, Nos.1-3 & Op. & 6 in Op. 51), along w/ 7 Operas & a Duo.  He obviously wrote a LOT of music w/ many missing early and late Opus numbers, including the the Op. 4 SQs listed on the image below.

My other recordings include Piano Sonatas (Op. 25, 33, & 28); Fortepiano/Harp Duos (Op. 29, 37, 44); and Piano Concertos, No. 1,5, & 6 (Op. 20, 43, & 49) - would be curious if anyone has heard his Symphonies? A recording of these latter works is listed but not pictured on Amazon USA - rather pricey for a single disc - :)

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 05, 2011, 09:09:40 AM
Wölfl, Joseph (1773-1812) - String Quartets, Op. 4 w/ the Authentic Quartet - just arrived and my 5th disc of this short-lived composer's music which I have found quite good - he was born in Salzburg and his early teachers there were Leopold Mozart & Michael Haydn; apparently a tall man for the time (over 6') and with large hands that could span an octave and a half on a fortepiano.

A short Wiki Article HERE; interestingly, his works are listed starting w/ an Op. 20 Piano Concerto (of which he wrote 6); Symphonies (2, Op. 40 & 41); String Quartets (Op. 30, Nos.1-3 & Op. & 6 in Op. 51), along w/ 7 Operas & a Duo.  He obviously wrote a LOT of music w/ many missing early and late Opus numbers, including the the Op. 4 SQs listed on the image below.

My other recordings include Piano Sonatas (Op. 25, 33, & 28); Fortepiano/Harp Duos (Op. 29, 37, 44); and Piano Concertos, No. 1,5, & 6 (Op. 20, 43, & 49) - would be curious if anyone has heard his Symphonies? A recording of these latter works is listed but not pictured on Amazon USA - rather pricey for a single disc - :)

Dave, I just aquired this disk too, and his piano concertos on the CPO release, but have yet to hear them, but will after my opera sojourn. I look forward to your thoughts!

And yes, I have heard Wolfl's symphonies and found them interesting, even odd in how he handles the orchestration. but not "bad" orchestration by any means, rather, his style his unique.  8)

I am desirous of hearing his piano sonatas at some point!

Gurn Blanston

Well, Caro Mitis is pretty good to Wölfl, I guess. :)  This disk

is the Op 30 quartets. I have the Op 4 also, and two of the Colladant disks, as well as the cpo disk of piano concertos. I don't have that symphonies disk though, Leo, and frankly your description intrigues me. I like quirky. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
The Island Quartet - Hummel S 46 Trio in G for 2 Violas & Cello 3rd mvmt - Menuetto: Allegretto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 05, 2011, 04:59:10 PM
Well, Caro Mitis is pretty good to Wölfl, I guess. :)  This disk

is the Op 30 quartets. I have the Op 4 also, and two of the Colladant disks, as well as the cpo disk of piano concertos. I don't have that symphonies disk though, Leo, and frankly your description intrigues me. I like quirky. :D

Hey Gurn & Leo - those Caro Mitis discs are certainly of interest and would complement my collection, but going for $23 each @ Amazon & $20 a piece at HBDirect - maybe a download option?  Dave  :D

chasmaniac

This set is calling my name! Sure looks attractive. What say the brain trust?

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 10, 2011, 02:21:27 AM

Well, I don't know about them, but as for myself, that looks interesting as can be. I have the complete violin concertos on that same label, and I can't help but think that they must make up some substantial portion of this set too. I need to look at the rest and see what's there. I have a set of his string quartets that are quite entertaining, but as nearly as I can remember, that's all my Viotti. Worth checking out, thanks for pointing it out! :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 10, 2011, 02:21:27 AM

Well, cannot comment on that particular set - I just have 1 Viotti disc (inserted above) w/ the VC #22 - wanted to hear a few before committing to a BIG box a while back, but left my radar screen and cannot even remember which performer I was considering.  So will keep an eye on subsequent posts - now does one need 29 Violin Concertos by the same guy?  Well that's the GMG, I guess -  ;) ;D   Dave

chasmaniac

Well, I answered the call. I'll let y'all know what's what when it gets here.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leo K.

Wow. A revisit to this disk is a great delight! Especially the F Major Symphony, which prefigures Romanticism in many subtle ways (i.e. the introduction to the first movement), it's also a great example of a rare classical work (from an obscure composer) that reaches the heights of sublimity. The whole disk, however, is a jewel. Another highlight is Kozeluch's only G Minor symphony.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 08:22:54 AM

Wow. A revisit to this disk is a great delight! Especially the F Major Symphony, which prefigures Romanticism in many subtle ways (i.e. the introduction to the first movement), it's also a great example of a rare classical work (from an obscure composer) that reaches the heights of sublimity. The whole disk, however, is a jewel. Another highlight is Kozeluch's only G Minor symphony.

8)

Know what you mean, Leo. Kozeluch, on occasion, really does reach the heights. I think that many composers do, and we value them according to how often. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Sinfonietta Wien \ Huss - Hob 08 03bis March in Eb 'For the Royal Society of Musicians'

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 08:29:29 AM
Know what you mean, Leo. Kozeluch, on occasion, really does reach the heights. I think that many composers do, and we value them according to how often. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Sinfonietta Wien \ Huss - Hob 08 03bis March in Eb 'For the Royal Society of Musicians'

That's a succinct and excellent way to put it Gurn!

Leo K.

I am absolutely impressed with the sound of the fortepiano in this grand set of JC Bach's keyboard concertos. I am also bowled over by JC Bach himself. Of the Bach bros I've heard, JC is the one I seem to gravitate to lately, although each Bach bro is special, each in their own way.

I don't have the box, but have collected five of the single releases. Right now, I'm listening to the C Major concerto from the Op.7 set. What a bright mood this work is, also a thoughtful musical argument. The second movement is so calm and progresses with conversational brilliance.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 09:02:59 AM
That's a succinct and excellent way to put it Gurn!

:)  I've been thinking about this for a long time. When I joined here, circa 2002, if I mentioned one of those obscure composers I got a lot of flack over it, like "why do you want to listen to him? He's no [enter famous composer name here]". Well, I realized that a lot of it is because I knew there was a reason why these guys were esteemed in their own time, and I needed to listen to enough of their music to discover why. And that's what I came up with. What is good is often excellent! I don't mind the investment in time and music, it's what I do! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 09:14:28 AM

I am absolutely impressed with the sound of the fortepiano in this grand set of JC Bach's keyboard concertos. I am also bowled over by JC Bach himself. Of the Bach bros I've heard, JC is the one I seem to gravitate to lately, although each Bach bro is special, each in their own way.

I don't have the box, but have collected five of the single releases. Right now, I'm listening to the C Major concerto from the Op.7 set. What a bright mood this work is, also a thoughtful musical argument. The second movement is so calm and progresses with conversational brilliance.

8)

I've been looking at that box. I have, on Philips, Ingrid Haebler playing Op 1 & Op 7 on the fortepiano, and very nice version it is. But that's not to say I'm not interested in these here. Who is the keyboardist there? I know Halstead is a hornist... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Bart van Oort - Hob 08 03 March in Eb for Keyboard

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 09:51:05 AM
I've been looking at that box. I have, on Philips, Ingrid Haebler playing Op 1 & Op 7 on the fortepiano, and very nice version it is. But that's not to say I'm not interested in these here. Who is the keyboardist there? I know Halstead is a hornist... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Bart van Oort - Hob 08 03 March in Eb for Keyboard

I believe it is Halstead  8) I am really impressed by his technique, and the fortepiano is recorded and heard in its full glory.

I haven't heard Ingrid Haebler play these works, I shall have to keep her in mind.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 10:12:11 AM
I believe it is Halstead  8) I am really impressed by his technique, and the fortepiano is recorded and heard in its full glory.

I haven't heard Ingrid Haebler play these works, I shall have to keep her in mind.

:)

Really? A man of many talents then! Cool!

Not readily available any longer, but still out there. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Philharmonia Hungarica \ Dorati - Hob 09 16 #12 Minuet in G for Orchestra

Leo K.

By the way, I love this quote by Scott Morrison on Amazon, from a review of a disk of JC Bach's symphonie concertante:

Quote"I was amused then to read in the scholarly notes by Prof. Ernest Warburton that J.C.'s older brother, Carl Philipp Emanuel (in whose Berlin home he lived for several years, studying with his brother), wrote during the period of these works that 'There is nothing behind my brother's present manner of composing ... It pleases and fills the ears, but the heart remains empty.' Well, he was wrong. And Mozart felt that as well. He wrote about J.C. Bach to his father, 'What is slight becomes great when it is written with a natural flow and in a light hand while at the same time being worked out thoroughly. To do this is more difficult than all the artful harmonic progressions incomprehensible to most.' Indeed these works were written for their entertainment value, and did not seem to be reaching for solemn meaningfulness. But of their kind, they are exemplary."

;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 10:22:12 AM
Really? A man of many talents then! Cool!

Not readily available any longer, but still out there. :)

Hi Gurn & Leo - boy, we seem to be collecting the same composers, as if not already known -  ;) ;D

I have the Ingrid Haebler twofers myself (added another one above w/ her doing the Op. 13 PCs, plus the Op. 3 Sinfonias w/ Marriner) - I've had my eyes on those CPO boxes of JC Bach for a while; there are actually 3 boxes w/ 5-6 discs each (Symphonies, Symphonies Concertantes, & the Keyboard Concertos) - the pricing is pretty good but I'm always reluctant to purchase those CPO boxes because each disc is in a separate jewel box and takes up a lot of room!  I do love the label but have quite a few of the CPO offerings in my collection - might have to reconsider - Dave  :D