Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 13, 2011, 11:51:09 AM
Hi Gurn & Leo - boy, we seem to be collecting the same composers, as if not already known -  ;) ;D

I have the Ingrid Haebler twofers myself (added another one above w/ her doing the Op. 13 PCs, plus the Op. 3 Sinfonias w/ Marriner) - I've had my eyes on those CPO boxes of JC Bach for a while; there are actually 3 boxes w/ 5-6 discs each (Symphonies, Symphonies Concertantes, & the Keyboard Concertos) - the pricing is pretty good but I'm always reluctant to purchase those CPO boxes because each disc is in a separate jewel box and takes up a lot of room!  I do love the label but have quite a few of the CPO offerings in my collection - might have to reconsider - Dave  :D

Actually, there is a 4th one too, Dave, which I know only becase it is the 1 of the 4 that I have!

It is just a 3 disk set, but also very nicely put together. :)

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 11:42:30 AM
By the way, I love this quote by Scott Morrison on Amazon, from a review of a disk of JC Bach's symphonie concertante:

;)

Yes, that is a very telling quote. Specifically, he was not so much condemning JC as he was saying that galant music is a waste of time. Of course, serious bastard that he was, he pursued the far more feeling empfindsamer style most of his life. Basically inventing it in fact. Mozart, especially the young Mozart, had little use for empfindsamer either, as noted. When he turned to the serious, I don't feel at all as though he went down that street, but rather more like Haydn he mixed emotions together in a great whirl of sensuality. CPE would have been mortified. ;D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck - Hob 18 10 Concerto in C for Organ 3rd mvmt - Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

JC Bach is awesome... you guys are making me want to revisit the recording I have!  Perhaps I need more. ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2011, 01:44:58 PM
JC Bach is awesome... you guys are making me want to revisit the recording I have!  Perhaps I need more. ;D

What recording do you have?

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck - Hob 18 06 Concerto in F for Organ & Violin 3rd mvmt - Presto

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 12:54:55 PM
Actually, there is a 4th one too, Dave, which I know only becase it is the 1 of the 4 that I have!

But even with that 4th box collection is still not complete, as there are:

[asin]B000001S05[/asin]

[asin]B000001S06[/asin]

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 01:51:57 PM
What recording do you have?

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck - Hob 18 06 Concerto in F for Organ & Violin 3rd mvmt - Presto

The woodwind concertos volume 2, very good recording. :)

[asin]B000001S06[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on August 13, 2011, 02:07:31 PM
But even with that 4th box collection is still not complete, as there are:

[asin]B000001S05[/asin]

[asin]B000001S06[/asin]

Yes, you're right. JC had a very large oeuvre indeed. And much of it deserves to be better known!

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 23b 01 Salve Regina  pt 3 - Eia ergo

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2011, 02:08:22 PM
The woodwind concertos volume 2, very good recording. :)

[asin]B000001S06[/asin]

Indeed, it looks good. I didn't know he had a bassoon concerto to his credit. Interesting. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 23b 01 Salve Regina  pt 5 - O clemens, o pia

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 12:54:55 PM

Yes, that is a very telling quote. Specifically, he was not so much condemning JC as he was saying that galant music is a waste of time. Of course, serious bastard that he was, he pursued the far more feeling empfindsamer style most of his life. Basically inventing it in fact. Mozart, especially the young Mozart, had little use for empfindsamer either, as noted. When he turned to the serious, I don't feel at all as though he went down that street, but rather more like Haydn he mixed emotions together in a great whirl of sensuality. CPE would have been mortified. ;D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck - Hob 18 10 Concerto in C for Organ 3rd mvmt - Allegro

;D Thats a wonderful description of the difference between Haydn/Mozart and CPE Bach!

Leo K.

I'm new to JC Bach in general, but his work continually lifts me to great heights. Right now I'm listening to this box of symphonies...in particular, those symphonies for double orchestras of Op.18. YES!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 02:14:56 PM
;D Thats a wonderful description of the difference between Haydn/Mozart and CPE Bach!

Thanks, Leo. It is something that I can't explain musically (many can, but not me  :( ) but I can feel emotionally. Still, I like CPE, such a dour man, but sure knew his way around a keyboard!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Musica Antiqua Amsterdam / Koopman - Hob 18 06 Concerto in F for Keyboard 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 13, 2011, 02:19:58 PM
Thanks, Leo. It is something that I can't explain musically (many can, but not me  :( ) but I can feel emotionally. Still, I like CPE, such a dour man, but sure knew his way around a keyboard!   :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Musica Antiqua Amsterdam / Koopman - Hob 18 06 Concerto in F for Keyboard 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Me love the CPE too. I adore and I'm fascinated by his string symphonies, and his Resurrection oratorio.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 02:18:32 PM

I'm new to JC Bach in general, but his work continually lifts me to great heights. Right now I'm listening to this box of symphonies...in particular, those symphonies for double orchestras of Op.18. YES!

I've been looking at that box for a while. Right now, Op 18 is the only one that I do have covered, with this disk which is pretty good too;

Also have this one, although I don't know if these fall into the actual "Symphonies" category, since things like Haydn's very early string quartets were called 'symphony' by some publishers!

That's a nice bunch of music there, too. Seems like Sonic Dave posted that disk once too.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Leo K.

I can't get enough the Galant style. I wish I could explain the attraction  :-*

All I know, is that it seems I can place a wide array of interpretations onto the music, like JC Bach's music, which is paradoxically rich and deep despite the deceptive simplicity.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 13, 2011, 02:27:13 PM
I can't get enough the Galant style. I wish I could explain the attraction  :-*

All I know, is that it seems I can place a wide array of interpretations onto the music, like JC Bach's music, which is paradoxically rich and deep despite the deceptive simplicity.

It is very diverting, and of course, that is why it was devised. Some people never take to it, others (like us) find it highly interesting. But it is the underlying concept behind High Classic style, and it provided a great vehicle for the development of sonata form. When older styles (strict style, canonic imitation, fugue etc) were blended back into the galant sonata, then the High Classical and Classico-Romantic were the natural result. If homophony hadn't come along, with its "singing allegro" and the other trappings of galanterie, then who knows where music would have gone? But it's cool right at the base level, as you say. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
New Dusseldorf Hofmusik / Utiger   Christine Schornsheim - Hob 18 01 Concerto in C for Organ 1st mvmt - Moderato

mszczuj

I must say that when I heard symphonies of Christian my opinion was not so diffrent to that of Emmanuel. It was for me pure entertainment. But when I started to listen to Concertantes - everything changed - this was absolutely great art.

If somebody said me that opinion of Emmanuel was opinion about symphonies only and he had not know at all about Concertantes I would believe without any hesitation.

I want to really recommend this music to all. It is unbelievable.

Alas I had no time to return to Symphonies after Concertantes to give myself chance to change my mind.

Leo K.

Quote from: mszczuj on August 13, 2011, 02:37:43 PM
I must say that when I heard symphonies of Christian my opinion was not so diffrent to that of Emmanuel. It was for me pure entertainment. But when I started to listen to Concertantes - everything changed - this was absolutely great art.

If somebody said me that opinion of Emmanuel was opinion about symphonies only and he had not know at all about Concertantes I would believe without any hesitation.

I want to really recommend this music to all. It is unbelievable.

Alas I had no time to return to Symphonies after Concertantes to give myself chance to change my mind.

I am just hearing my first concertante by JC Bach tonight, the first work on Vol.5 of the CPO set led by Anthony Halstead. Indeed, this stuff is so profoundly wonderful!

Leo K.

Wow! This is a great disk of Pleyel Trios...great sound! And the music is sure delight  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 19, 2011, 09:34:38 AM
Wow! This is a great disk of Pleyel Trios...great sound! And the music is sure delight  8)

That looks interesting! I have a modest amount of Pleyel's trios, I think it was an area that he was much stronger in that some others. Hard to read, is that "Pleyel Trio Wien"?  They are new to me, PI?  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck - Hob 02 11 Divertimento in C for Winds & Strings 4th mvmt - Finale: Tema con variazioni

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 19, 2011, 09:40:01 AM
That looks interesting! I have a modest amount of Pleyel's trios, I think it was an area that he was much stronger in that some others. Hard to read, is that "Pleyel Trio Wien"?  They are new to me, PI?  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck - Hob 02 11 Divertimento in C for Winds & Strings 4th mvmt - Finale: Tema con variazioni

Yup, that says "Pleyel Trio Wien" and this is a PI recording  This disk was apparently released in 2002, and I haven't heard about it until recently. It really sounds wonderful!

You are totally right about Pleyel's talent for the trio form. These works have much to recommend! The treasures are numerous!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 19, 2011, 03:48:20 PM
Yup, that says "Pleyel Trio Wien" and this is a PI recording  This disk was apparently released in 2002, and I haven't heard about it until recently. It really sounds wonderful!

You are totally right about Pleyel's talent for the trio form. These works have much to recommend! The treasures are numerous!

Well, both of the disks that I have of them are apparently unavailable now reasonably, the Trio Joachim on Dynamic and the Gamerith Consort on Divertimento (now, there's an obscure label!) along with some Haydn PT's. Which makes this one look even better to me. Me like! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of Ancient Music / Hogwood - Hob 01 023 Symphony in G 1st mvmt - Allegro