Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 29, 2011, 04:02:01 PM
Leo,
At first I thought that might be the same Kozeluch as the one that I have, but I see now that it isn't, since mine is actually a different performer:

This is nice music, however, and I am sure you are going to like that disk.

The other is new to me. Interested in your feedback. :)

8)

Gurn, I have my eye on that disk too! I will let you know about the recording I have soon  8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 29, 2011, 04:07:03 PM
Wow, I could finally be able to say here on GMG that I was listening to some Hartmann symphonies! Everyone will be so proud of me... :D  That again seems worth taking a listen to. Ain't this a great time to be alive?  :)

8)

It sure is a great time to be alive. This music is so life affirming and amazing, and I'm real glad and lucky to have it so accessible...very lucky!

I've now heard this whole disk of Hartmann symphonies, and I now need help, being unpeeled from the floor, it is so good.

;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 29, 2011, 04:36:16 PM
Gurn, I have my eye on that disk too! I will let you know about the recording I have soon  8)

You know, Leo, I could have sworn that a couple years ago, I saw that same Kozeluch disk that you have, only it was on a different label, if you know "Discover International". Generally very inexpensive disks that give outstanding value in return. In any case, her name is very familiar to me, maybe she also played others in that range, like Mehul or Jadin. I know I have never seen your disk before, or I would have had my hands on it already... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on August 29, 2011, 04:38:41 PM
It sure is a great time to be alive. This music is so life affirming and amazing, and I'm real glad and lucky to have it so accessible...very lucky!

I've now heard this whole disk of Hartmann symphonies, and I now need help, being unpeeled from the floor, it is so good.

;D

Yes, it is one thing to be able to read about this music in a book, and entirely different to be able to hear it. People who say that classical music isn't what it used to be don't realize what a good thing that is, actually. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 29, 2011, 04:43:47 PM
. . . People who say that classical music isn't what it used to be don't realize what a good thing that is, actually. :)

8)

(* pounds the table, musically *)

chasmaniac

A label calling itself Phoenix Edition has been reissuing Capriccio releases. Just picked up 3  with CPE Bach's symphonies and various vocal works, and they're impressive. Can't find nice big pictures.

Anyone else noticed this label?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mc ukrneal

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 30, 2011, 05:21:26 AM
A label calling itself Phoenix Edition has been reissuing Capriccio releases. Just picked up 3  with CPE Bach's symphonies and various vocal works, and they're impressive. Can't find nice big pictures.

Anyone else noticed this label?
Yes - they have done some good stuff. For example, I have this one and have enjoyed it (and keeping on topic too):
[asin]B001F1YBOY[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

chasmaniac

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 30, 2011, 05:36:38 AM
Yes - they have done some good stuff. For example, I have this one and have enjoyed it (and keeping on topic too):
[asin]B001F1YBOY[/asin]

Cool. That's the band did the folksong series with MacDougal and whozit.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mc ukrneal

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 30, 2011, 05:58:20 AM
Yes, although those are on Brilliant I think. They also did other Haydn chamber works for Brilliant.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 30, 2011, 05:58:20 AM

They also did all the Piano Trios in the Haydn "Big Box", and the Hob 14 concertinos and such too. :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 06:07:29 AM
They also did all the Piano Trios in the Haydn "Big Box", and the Hob 14 concertinos and such too. :)

8)

???  I'm pretty sure the PTs were done by Van Swieten Trio (on period instruments) in the big box, not the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt (on modern instruments).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on August 29, 2011, 03:41:46 PM
I am very excited over my two latest acquisitions!

I haven't heard these yet, but I've been particulary interested in hearing Kozeluch's fortepiano sonatas, and have waited awhile before finding this recording.

Hi Leo - giving that JC Bach Symphony box a second listen - thoroughly enjoyable; might have to look into some of the other CPO box offerings!

Might also want to look for some of Kozeluch's solo keyboard works - that one above looks interesting, esp. being on the fortepiano.  The Kozeluch that I own are shown below - love the piano trios w/ that group, and the Concerto Koln box contains his symphonies, among many other gems!  Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 06:41:24 AM
???  I'm pretty sure the PTs were done by Van Swieten Trio (on period instruments) in the big box, not the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt (on modern instruments).

Yes, I was drunk when I wrote that. It was just the concertinos and the folk songs. My bad... :'(

8)

DavidW

btw that Haydn Trio Eisenstatdt is a superbargain on amazon mp3, the entire box set of 7 "cds" is only $17.  I think I'll listen to them on nml and see if they are worth the purchase. :)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 07:09:51 AM
Yes, I was drunk when I wrote that.

I should be shocked and dismayed by this but, um, well, you know...
;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 08:16:41 AM
btw that Haydn Trio Eisenstatdt is a superbargain on amazon mp3, the entire box set of 7 "cds" is only $17.  I think I'll listen to them on nml and see if they are worth the purchase. :)
If you are talking about the trios, I have enjoyed them quite a bit since I got them (a great deal in that Franch sale last year). I can't compare though - thery are the only ones I have.

DavidW

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 30, 2011, 09:30:16 AM
If you are talking about the trios, I have enjoyed them quite a bit since I got them (a great deal in that Franch sale last year). I can't compare though - thery are the only ones I have.

Cool!  I think sonic dave also likes 'em.  I'm going to give them a listen on nml soon and report back.  I've listened to Beaux Arts Trio, van Swieten Trio, some recordings of Trio 1790 and one recording of L'Archibudelli and one of Trio Goya.  I'll see if I can hopefully comment on how they compare.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 09:56:07 AM
Cool!  I think sonic dave also likes 'em.  I'm going to give them a listen on nml soon and report back.  I've listened to Beaux Arts Trio, van Swieten Trio, some recordings of Trio 1790 and one recording of L'Archibudelli and one of Trio Goya.  I'll see if I can hopefully comment on how they compare.

Hi David - I have 2 sets of Haydn's Piano Trios, i.e. Van Swieten Trio w/ Bart van Oort on fortepiano & Haydn Trio Eisenstadt w/ the pianist on a Steinway; I enjoy both but have not really done any A-B type comparisons; the HTE is just a super bargain at the moment ($30 for 8 CDs on Amazon USA - just checked).  Now I owned a number of the BAT discs of these works but culled them out of my collection after obtaining the others.  Dave  :D

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 30, 2011, 07:01:16 AM
Hi Leo - giving that JC Bach Symphony box a second listen - thoroughly enjoyable; might have to look into some of the other CPO box offerings!

Might also want to look for some of Kozeluch's solo keyboard works - that one above looks interesting, esp. being on the fortepiano.  The Kozeluch that I own are shown below - love the piano trios w/ that group, and the Concerto Koln box contains his symphonies, among many other gems!  Dave  :D

Dave, I am glad the JC Bach symphonies box (from CPO) is enjoyable! I am continually amazed over the classical purity of these works, and also his truly wonderful symphony concerte box (also on CPO of course)!

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 30, 2011, 02:18:46 PM
Hi David - I have 2 sets of Haydn's Piano Trios, i.e. Van Swieten Trio w/ Bart van Oort on fortepiano & Haydn Trio Eisenstadt w/ the pianist on a Steinway; I enjoy both but have not really done any A-B type comparisons; the HTE is just a super bargain at the moment ($30 for 8 CDs on Amazon USA - just checked).  Now I owned a number of the BAT discs of these works but culled them out of my collection after obtaining the others.  Dave  :D

Good enough to cull the BAT eh?  Well... wow... can't wait to give 'em a listen. :)