Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 05, 2011, 09:19:38 AM
Below is a quote from Gabriel back in the spring of 2009 (there was an excellent follow-up discussion by Gurn at the time referring to the French composer Hyacinthe Jadin (1776-1800) who died tragically young from tuberculosis; he was a precocious musician and composer - more information HERE, including a listing of his impressive compositions.

Well, I acquired my first recording (actually an MP3 download) of Jadin - String Quartets w/ Franz Joseph SQ - this received an excellent review in the most recent issue of Fanfare which I've attached; Gurn discussed the keyboard works w/ several now available, including performances on the fortepiano.  After listening to the quality of the SQs, I plan to explore this composer more, so please for those w/ some of his recordings, post comments & recommendations; and perhaps Gurn can help to bring us up to date - Jadin kind of was buried in this thread a while back (in fact I've not seen Gabriel around lately?) - Dave :)

Dave, this is the one disk of Jadin I own, and it is a fantastic recording of these profoundly beautiful trios. I am eager to hear string quartets and fortepiano sonatas from Jadin!

Other the the disk above, I have a Jadin piano sonata on a compilation that Gurn suggested for me, and that's where I first heard this composer. Great, great music!

8)

chasmaniac

Shallow and lovely, just like me!

Except for the part about me. I'm deep and ugly.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

chasmaniac

Sigh. The Jadin 4s are ordered. And the Hartmann symphonies.

If you guys keep this up, I'll never get to retire.

On the other hand, if I do get to retire, I'll do so surrounded by so much musical pleasure I'll think I've died and gone to heaven!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on September 05, 2011, 03:32:22 PM

Dave, this is the one disk of Jadin I own, and it is a fantastic recording of these profoundly beautiful trios. I am eager to hear string quartets and fortepiano sonatas from Jadin!

Other the the disk above, I have a Jadin piano sonata on a compilation that Gurn suggested for me, and that's where I first heard this composer. Great, great music!

Hi Leo - well I have that Trios disc in the mail (actually from BRO for $6 - surprised they had any Jadin!) - now I'm really curious about obtaining some of the keyboard works, esp. on the fortepiano.  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 05, 2011, 09:19:38 AM
Below is a quote from Gabriel back in the spring of 2009 (there was an excellent follow-up discussion by Gurn at the time referring to the French composer Hyacinthe Jadin (1776-1800) who died tragically young from tuberculosis; he was a precocious musician and composer - more information HERE, including a listing of his impressive compositions.

Well, I acquired my first recording (actually an MP3 download) of Jadin - String Quartets w/ Franz Joseph SQ - this received an excellent review in the most recent issue of Fanfare which I've attached; Gurn discussed the keyboard works w/ several now available, including performances on the fortepiano.  After listening to the quality of the SQs, I plan to explore this composer more, so please for those w/ some of his recordings, post comments & recommendations; and perhaps Gurn can help to bring us up to date - Jadin kind of was buried in this thread a while back (in fact I've not seen Gabriel around lately?) - Dave :)

Ah, Jadin!  Nice to come home to a discussion of his music. Very sad that he died so young (24 yrs), I, along with many others (especially his contemporaries) think he would have been one of the greats of his time. Even his small, remaining oeuvre contains no clinkers. I started out with all of his piano sonatas that I could find, and then moved ahead to the trios that Leo has kindly illustrated for us.

Quote from: Leo K on September 05, 2011, 03:32:22 PM

But what has me intrigued is the string quartet disk. I see it is on Atma, thus should be available. If we had this here before, I clearly overlooked it, since I would have snapped it up. Just as an FYI, Hyacinthe (isn't that a special name? :) ) had a brother who was rather talented at composition also. Name was Louis Emanuel. I have one disk with a combination of sonatas for Fortepiano & Oboe and a Keyboard Sonata 4-hands. Once I find the disk, I will picture it here. Life is full of little challenges... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 09, 2011, 01:23:31 PM
Ah, Jadin!  Nice to come home to a discussion of his music. Very sad that he died so young (24 yrs), I, along with many others (especially his contemporaries) think he would have been one of the greats of his time. Even his small, remaining oeuvre contains no clinkers. I started out with all of his piano sonatas that I could find, and then moved ahead to the trios that Leo has kindly illustrated for us.

But what has me intrigued is the string quartet disk. I see it is on Atma, thus should be available. If we had this here before, I clearly overlooked it, since I would have snapped it up. Just as an FYI, Hyacinthe (isn't that a special name? :) ) had a brother who was rather talented at composition also. Name was Louis Emanuel. I have one disk with a combination of sonatas for Fortepiano & Oboe and a Keyboard Sonata 4-hands. Once I find the disk, I will picture it here. Life is full of little challenges... :D

Hi Gurn - looking forward to your comments on Jadin's Keyboard Works - sound quite special; also impressed w/ his output despite his brief existence on the planet!

Of course, the name Hyacinthe comes from the flower Hyacinth, as shown below in purple; a rare boy's name (and also the same spelling for a girl's name) - a few facts HERE - :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 09, 2011, 02:06:31 PM
Hi Gurn - looking forward to your comments on Jadin's Keyboard Works - sound quite special; also impressed w/ his output despite his brief existence on the planet!

Of course, the name Hyacinthe comes from the flower Hyacinth, as shown below in purple; a rare boy's name (and also the same spelling for a girl's name) - a few facts HERE - :)

Dave,
Well, this is the wholly Jadin disk I have;

[asin]B000E3J3PQ[/asin]

the re-release is readily available at a very modest price, and well worth more.

My introduction came on this disk;

which I think is the one that Leo was talking about. I wasn't looking for Jadin, per se, when I purchased this disk from BRO 5 years ago, I was merely intrigued by the title. The disk itself has gone from $3 to $50 in value the last time I checked. It's a peach, although I have issues with $50 disks...

The sonatas are very much of their time (1790's), nothing Beethovenian about them, just lovely long lyrical lines and solid structure rather than the new fad of fantasia that was making the rounds about that time. I recommend this (Harmonia Mundi) disk, it is a win:win given the price and quality. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 09, 2011, 02:21:22 PM
My introduction came on this disk;

which I think is the one that Leo was talking about. I wasn't looking for Jadin, per se, when I purchased this disk from BRO 5 years ago, I was merely intrigued by the title. The disk itself has gone from $3 to $50 in value the last time I checked. It's a peach, although I have issues with $50 disks...

The sonatas are very much of their time (1790's), nothing Beethovenian about them, just lovely long lyrical lines and solid structure rather than the new fad of fantasia that was making the rounds about that time. I recommend this (Harmonia Mundi) disk, it is a win:win given the price and quality. :)

8)

Yup! Thats the disk I was referring to. A Wonderful collection!

8)

Leo K.

I am very excited as my fiancee bought me this book for my birthday!  :o :P ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 11, 2011, 11:34:03 AM
I am very excited as my fiancee bought me this book for my birthday!  :o :P ;D

Excellent! I like Heartz' style, very readable. That is, I think, book 2 of a trilogy. Book 1 I missed and is now way out of sight pricewise, and book 3 is on my list for next month. Let us know what you think, Leo. We are always looking for a new book. :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 11:37:15 AM
Excellent! I like Heartz' style, very readable. That is, I think, book 2 of a trilogy. Book 1 I missed and is now way out of sight pricewise, and book 3 is on my list for next month. Let us know what you think, Leo. We are always looking for a new book. :)

8)

I definitely will Gurn! Upon reading the author's introduction I feel I am in for a very good journey indeed!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 11, 2011, 11:39:57 AM
I definitely will Gurn! Upon reading the author's introduction I feel I am in for a very good journey indeed!

8)

Cool! I also have his book on Mozart's Operas which I think that you in particular would enjoy. I'll have to give more serious consideration to the galant book though. Damn, it's expensive to build and maintain a library these days!  :)

8)

Leo K.

Gurn, it is VERY expensive indeed!  :o But I'm glad to hear recommendations for my wish list, so thanks for the heads up on Heartz's book on Mozart's operas  :)  I'm also looking longingly at Heartz's Vol.3 book you mentioned!

I'm getting in a Galant mood again, and decided to listen to Johann Gottlieb Graun (27 October 1703 – 28 October 1771) this morning:

(Sorry to reference yet another out of print recording!)

The works on this disk are:

1. Concerto for violin & viola da gamba (or viola da braccio) in C minor
4. Trio for 2 violas da gambe & continuo in G major
7. Concerto for viola da gamba in A minor
10.Trio Sonata for violin, viola da gamba, pardessus de viol & bass cembalo in A major 

I do love his music whenever I turn to it. Funny, on Graun's Wiki page I read that Charles Burney wrote: "In his concertos and church music... the length of each movement is more immoderate than Christian patience can endure..."

But I LOVE this about Graun's work!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 11, 2011, 11:51:51 AM
Gurn, it is VERY expensive indeed!  :o But I'm glad to hear recommendations for my wish list, so thanks for the heads up on Heartz's book on Mozart's operas  :)  I'm also looking longingly at Heartz's Vol.3 book you mentioned!

I'm getting in a Galant mood again, and decided to listen to Johann Gottlieb Graun (27 October 1703 – 28 October 1771) this morning:

(Sorry to reference yet another out of print recording!)

The works on this disk are:

1. Concerto for violin & viola da gamba (or viola da braccio) in C minor
4. Trio for 2 violas da gambe & continuo in G major
7. Concerto for viola da gamba in A minor
10.Trio Sonata for violin, viola da gamba, pardessus de viol & bass cembalo in A major 

I do love his music whenever I turn to it. Funny, on Graun's Wiki page I read that Charles Burney wrote: "In his concertos and church music... the length of each movement is more immoderate than Christian patience can endure..."

But I LOVE this about Graun's work!

8)

:D  Burney can be very amusing. Although short movements were clearly the norm at that time, so maybe he just wasn't much of an adapter. Wonder what he would have thought of Eroica and later The Great C Major!   :D

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 11:59:24 AM
:D  Burney can be very amusing. Although short movements were clearly the norm at that time, so maybe he just wasn't much of an adapter. Wonder what he would have thought of Eroica and later The Great C Major!   :D

8)

I still want to read Burney, at least parts of his books when I get extra time. I am very much looking forward to the day I can retire so I can get my time back! It will be a long wait though!  :P Still, I still find time to listen to the Eroica and Schubert!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 11, 2011, 12:04:42 PM
I still want to read Burney, at least parts of his books when I get extra time. I am very much looking forward to the day I can retire so I can get my time back! It will be a long wait though!  :P Still, I still find time to listen to the Eroica and Schubert!  ;D

Well, amigo, I know what you mean, but I also know that you must and will find a way to satisfy that longing other than wishing to be older!! I will be 60 very soon, so ready for retirement in any case, but also glad I didn't miss anything to get here. :)  Did you download that Burney book from Gutenberg Project when the link was here? That's how I've been able to browse it. Free is great!   ;)

Here's a link if you want it:  http://www.archive.org/details/generalhistoryof005344mbp  on the left side of the page is a list of available formats. As always, I chose PDF... :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 12:19:07 PM
Well, amigo, I know what you mean, but I also know that you must and will find a way to satisfy that longing other than wishing to be older!! I will be 60 very soon, so ready for retirement in any case, but also glad I didn't miss anything to get here. :)  Did you download that Burney book from Gutenberg Project when the link was here? That's how I've been able to browse it. Free is great!   ;)

Here's a link if you want it:  http://www.archive.org/details/generalhistoryof005344mbp  on the left side of the page is a list of available formats. As always, I chose PDF... :)

8)

I sure did get the Burney book, and I'm very glad it was free :) You're right, I will find a way to find the time!  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 11, 2011, 12:55:59 PM
I sure did get the Burney book, and I'm very glad it was free :) You're right, I will find a way to find the time!  8)

OTOH, it is quoted so extensively in every music history book about the era, that I virtually have read it all anyway... :D

8)

Leo K.

By the way, I'm still listening to Johann Graun, and this disk includes his brother Carl Heinrich Graun and the mysterious "? Graun"  :)

Here is a post from SonicMan from some months ago with Graun recordings waiting on my wish list!

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 12, 2011, 02:05:54 PM
Johann Graun (1703-1771) - love this period of music - below are the 3 discs that I own currently - if interested try the CPO disc on concertos and then decide -

Gurn Blanston

Ha!   ? Graun is my favorite of the bunch. He is right there with ? Sammartini at the top of the ladder in the development of the Classical Style! And I was just reading earlier about ? Haydn, who baffled the English publishers for years, it seems... :D

That is a good looking group of disks there though. I sometimes wish I wasn't so obsessive so I could spread out a bit more. Although now that I've started on J. Haydn, I will have a ways to go before my OCD is sated. :)

8)