Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 01:29:15 PM
Ha!   ? Graun is my favorite of the bunch. He is right there with ? Sammartini at the top of the ladder in the development of the Classical Style! And I was just reading earlier about ? Haydn, who baffled the English publishers for years, it seems... :D

Ha ha! Indeed  ;D

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 01:29:15 PM
That is a good looking group of disks there though. I sometimes wish I wasn't so obsessive so I could spread out a bit more. Although now that I've started on J. Haydn, I will have a ways to go before my OCD is sated. :)

I totally hear ya there Gurn! When I return to Mozart, for instance, in revisiting his late operas and Requiem, it's hard to get away, like an OCD tractor beam!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 11, 2011, 01:47:40 PM
Ha ha! Indeed  ;D

I totally hear ya there Gurn! When I return to Mozart, for instance, in revisiting his late operas and Requiem, it's hard to get away, like an OCD tractor beam!  ;D

Yeah, well Figaro can always pull me away, even from Haydn! Although I listened to Orlando Paladino last week and it was pretty fine too. I would recommend this one just for your amusement;

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 11:37:15 AM
Excellent! I like Heartz' style, very readable. That is, I think, book 2 of a trilogy. Book 1 I missed and is now way out of sight pricewise . . . .

There must be inter-library loan, yes?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2011, 02:25:12 PM
There must be inter-library loan, yes?

True, although it requires a library if one wishes to inter into a loan program... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

I thought there were libraries in Texas . . . sorry to be disabused of this fantasy! ; )

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2011, 02:38:52 PM
I thought there were libraries in Texas . . . sorry to be disabused of this fantasy! ; )

There is one at university, but as a non-student I'm not eligible. Our population of 650 seemed to discourage Mr. Carnegie on his last pass through.... :-\

8)

karlhenning

Tell them you're faculty: The Mrs Edna H. Blortstratton Professor of Gurnithology . . . .

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2011, 04:40:32 PM
Tell them you're faculty: The Mrs Edna H. Blortstratton Professor of Gurnithology . . . .

:D  How did you know that I hold the Blortstratton Chair?!? Dame Edna elevated me years ago... many dames did, of course.  :D

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 11, 2011, 04:47:05 PM
:D  How did you know that I hold the Blortstratton Chair?!? Dame Edna elevated me years ago... many dames did, of course.  :D
8)

Gurn of Blortstratton... sounds a character in a Gothic novel.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

Leo K.

I just got some music of Leopold Hofman (1738-93) on Naxos and I'm excited :)

As some here know, Mozart was Hofman's assistant at St. Stephens.

Gurn Blanston

As usual, expanding my Haydn selection. Right now, in addition to filling gaps in places where I had just downloads and the disks were merited, I am also looking for early solo keyboard and keyboard trio disks. The keyboard trios are especially difficult, since if you take away the Trio 1790 disks, and the Van Sweiten Trio set (which uses an inappropriate fortepiano instead of a harpsichord (although lovely) anyway), there are really very very few recordings available, while the post 1790 works are thicker than fleas on a outdoor dog. But, as few selections out there today;

This one

which I didn't even know existed! Apparently, the AAM began to record Volume 11 and got the first disk completed. It was released by the BBC, not L'Oiseau Lyre. I was very pleased to run across this today!  :)

A disk of early sonatas played on the harpsichord;

Stellar reviews, so despite not having heard of the fellow, decided to give him a chance. Looking forward to this one, actually. :)

Unlike some, I really do like Emma Kirkby, and Marcia Hadjimarkos has a super Haydn disk on Zig-Zag which she plays entirely on clavichord. I wanted to here a different approach to these songs, and I think this will offer one.

I bought the downloads of this set the day it came out, and decided that there were enough excellent performances on it to justify purchasing the entire box.

I like Minkowski's 'go for it' approach, clearly music that the band really like to play (well, how could they not?) and they are a talented bunch. :)

Richard Lester has been on my horizon for quite some time;

I have heard just one work off this disk and quite enjoyed it. I know I have another disk somewhere of him playing, I need to find it and refresh my memory.

And finally, some trios (there is another one too, but no picture available!);

I have the London Fortepiano Trio's Mozart set, and as always, Huggett pleases me with her stylish fiddling, while Nicholson plays a supremely appropriate 1797 Schantz, always the perfect late Haydn keyboard. The only possible downside is that like most others, they are playing from a rather narrow pool of late works, in this case Hob 15:24-26. They could likely kick butt on Hob 6-9, for example. :)

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Leo K on September 14, 2011, 07:33:29 AM
I just got some music of Leopold Hofman (1738-93) on Naxos and I'm excited :)

As some here know, Mozart was Hofman's assistant at St. Stephens.
What's the verdict?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Leo K.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 15, 2011, 04:28:26 AM
What's the verdict?

Well, I have listened to three symphonies so far, and I am impressed and deeply moved by Hofman's work, thanks in large part to the performance and nice sound of this recording. My favorite so far is the four movement symohony that has an adagio introduction before the 1st movement allegro. The music is lite with character and the orchestration clear with nice detail. I will need more listens for a more detailed review but I am VERY pleased with having this in my collection! :)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 14, 2011, 05:16:09 PM
As usual, expanding my Haydn selection. Right now, in addition to filling gaps in places where I had just downloads and the disks were merited, I am also looking for early solo keyboard and keyboard trio disks. The keyboard trios are especially difficult, since if you take away the Trio 1790 disks, and the Van Sweiten Trio set (which uses an inappropriate fortepiano instead of a harpsichord (although lovely) anyway), there are really very very few recordings available, while the post 1790 works are thicker than fleas on a outdoor dog. But, as few selections out there today;

This one

which I didn't even know existed! Apparently, the AAM began to record Volume 11 and got the first disk completed. It was released by the BBC, not L'Oiseau Lyre. I was very pleased to run across this today!  :)

A disk of early sonatas played on the harpsichord;

Stellar reviews, so despite not having heard of the fellow, decided to give him a chance. Looking forward to this one, actually. :)

Unlike some, I really do like Emma Kirkby, and Marcia Hadjimarkos has a super Haydn disk on Zig-Zag which she plays entirely on clavichord. I wanted to here a different approach to these songs, and I think this will offer one.

I bought the downloads of this set the day it came out, and decided that there were enough excellent performances on it to justify purchasing the entire box.

I like Minkowski's 'go for it' approach, clearly music that the band really like to play (well, how could they not?) and they are a talented bunch. :)

Richard Lester has been on my horizon for quite some time;

I have heard just one work off this disk and quite enjoyed it. I know I have another disk somewhere of him playing, I need to find it and refresh my memory.

And finally, some trios (there is another one too, but no picture available!);

I have the London Fortepiano Trio's Mozart set, and as always, Huggett pleases me with her stylish fiddling, while Nicholson plays a supremely appropriate 1797 Schantz, always the perfect late Haydn keyboard. The only possible downside is that like most others, they are playing from a rather narrow pool of late works, in this case Hob 15:24-26. They could likely kick butt on Hob 6-9, for example. :)

8)

Its nice to look over your current Haydn interests Gurn. The disk of Hogwood's Haydn symphonies is a real nice find! I didn't know about that either. I still have to hear Hogwood's Haydn Symphonies though, of which I heard some from the library years and years ago. I'm sorely lacking in my knowledge of Haydn's early symphonic works.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 17, 2011, 07:05:59 AM
Its nice to look over your current Haydn interests Gurn. The disk of Hogwood's Haydn symphonies is a real nice find! I didn't know about that either. I still have to hear Hogwood's Haydn Symphonies though, of which I heard some from the library years and years ago. I'm sorely lacking in my knowledge of Haydn's early symphonic works.

8)

Thanks, Leo. Yes, I was stunned to see that disk pop up. The only single disks I had ever heard (and have) are 94 & 96 and 100 & 104. They are on L'Oiseau Lyre, of course. The inference I make that this was a previously unreleased part of "Volume 11" is unsubstantiated but likely anyway. And it makes me wonder if there aren't one or 2 others out there. :-\

I really do think you would be very pleased with those recordings. The 2 single disks from what would have been a London set are available used for less than $10 ea. In fact, I got them as "Used - Like new" for less than $5 ea! But for early symphonies, I would recommend that you go to BRO and shop through the Goodman/Helios releases which are also excellent and as single disks can be had for $4.99 ea. Can't beat that!   :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 17, 2011, 07:17:27 AM
Thanks, Leo. Yes, I was stunned to see that disk pop up. The only single disks I had ever heard (and have) are 94 & 96 and 100 & 104. They are on L'Oiseau Lyre, of course. The inference I make that this was a previously unreleased part of "Volume 11" is unsubstantiated but likely anyway. And it makes me wonder if there aren't one or 2 others out there. :-\

I really do think you would be very pleased with those recordings. The 2 single disks from what would have been a London set are available used for less than $10 ea. In fact, I got them as "Used - Like new" for less than $5 ea! But for early symphonies, I would recommend that you go to BRO and shop through the Goodman/Helios releases which are also excellent and as single disks can be had for $4.99 ea. Can't beat that!   :)

8)

Thanks for the recommend regarding BRO and the single Goodman/Helio disks! that is probably the way to go for the early symphonies in HIP. Back in the day, I had almost the complete LP sets of the Dorati Haydn symphonies and remember them fondly, but wish I hadn't got rid of them! Boooo!

Also, I remember I still have one LP of the Hogwood nos. 100 & 104 L'Oiseau Lyre release, and the sound is incredible!

Leo K.

By the way, let me quickly praise these two recordings of Mozart's amazing La Clemenza di Tito! I've been getting rather obsessed with the special sound Mozart executed for this opera. Mozart's late style scoring has such a beautiful, simple, and fragile quality! Why I haven't quite noticed the orchestral tonality of this opera before is beyond me, but these two releases make see the light!

Wow!  :o

Of these two I slightly prefer the Mackerras, but man, these are really fantastic!

Leo K.

Quote from: Leo K on April 28, 2011, 06:23:01 AM
There is nothing like the sound of Haydn, HIP style :)

I've Been listening to Bruggen's Haydn set of the London Symphonies and I'm so blown away. I'm used to the Fischer set, so what a refreshing experience of Haydn to hear Bruggen's take! 8)

Gurn, you got me to listen to Haydn this morning, for an excellant morning at work  ;) I'm listening to Bruggen's London Vol.2 at the moment! Great stuff!

I have decided how to spend my birthday money gift. It is high time I finally get a Haydn Complete Symphony box, and I have decided this is what I can afford (thanks to the good prices of an Amazon seller)!

Joseph Haydn: The Complete Symphonies
Dennis Russell Davies

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on September 18, 2011, 07:47:42 AM

I have decided how to spend my birthday money gift. It is high time I finally get a Haydn Complete Symphony box, and I have decided this is what I can afford (thanks to the good prices of an Amazon seller)!

Hi Leo - hope that you will enjoy the Davies box; the only complete set that I own is w/ Adam Fischer, although I had thought about others before that purchase (i.e. Dorati and the Naxos box).

Now I also have some of the later ones duplicated, i.e. Kuijken in Nos. 82-92 & Minkowski in Nos. 93-104.

Also, curious if Hyperion/Helios will ever put the Roy Goodman performances in a big box (or have they yet?);  I would love to have the Kuijken London Symphonies but the import price ($65 on Amazon USA at the moment) is a little hefty.  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 18, 2011, 07:47:42 AM

Gurn, you got me to listen to Haydn this morning, for an excellant morning at work  ;) I'm listening to Bruggen's London Vol.2 at the moment! Great stuff!

Joseph Haydn: The Complete Symphonies
Dennis Russell Davies

8)

Leo,
That's great! I think you will find a treasure trove in Haydn's symphonies. The only complete set I have is the Fischer, which is a strong recommend in my book. Davies may well be cool, though, I have just never heard anything from it. Let us know!

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 18, 2011, 09:25:07 AM
Hi Leo - hope that you will enjoy the Davies box; the only complete set that I own is w/ Adam Fischer, although I had thought about others before that purchase (i.e. Dorati and the Naxos box).

Now I also have some of the later ones duplicated, i.e. Kuijken in Nos. 82-92 & Minkowski in Nos. 93-104.

Also, curious if Hyperion/Helios will ever put the Roy Goodman performances in a big box (or have they yet?);  I would love to have the Kuijken London Symphonies but the import price ($65 on Amazon USA at the moment) is a little hefty.  Dave :)

You know, Dave, I think the reason that they haven't done is because the cycle never got finished. I suspect it won't be either, so the chances of it being 'big boxed' seem slight. I now have all but one of them anyway, so the only more joy I could see would be a release of the missing few. :)

8)