Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 18, 2011, 10:18:43 AM
You know, Dave, I think the reason that they haven't done is because the cycle never got finished. I suspect it won't be either, so the chances of it being 'big boxed' seem slight. I now have all but one of them anyway, so the only more joy I could see would be a release of the missing few. :)

Good evening Gurn - I picked up just a handful of the early symphonies w/ Goodman from BRO, but sort of stopped after obtaining the Fischer box - unfortunate, I liked his approach - maybe some day but who knows in this classical music business?  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 18, 2011, 01:53:32 PM
Good evening Gurn - I picked up just a handful of the early symphonies w/ Goodman from BRO, but sort of stopped after obtaining the Fischer box - unfortunate, I liked his approach - maybe some day but who knows in this classical music business?  Dave :)

Hey, Dave. Really, who does know? Hyperion might be out tomorrow with an entire that they have been saving up. :) In the PI world, other than a few single disks here and there (mostly versions of 6, 7 & 8, and 12 because of its unique background), there are only 2 obtainable versions, Hogwood and Goodman (obviously I don't include the outstanding Solomons under 'obtainable'!) and of those, Hogwood is usually rare and expensive while Goodman is still an easy catch. Despite having nearly every PI recording ever made, most early symphonies are represented in my collection with just the 2. So it goes. I know Fischer to be very fine in the early works though. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 18, 2011, 10:18:43 AM
Leo,
That's great! I think you will find a treasure trove in Haydn's symphonies. The only complete set I have is the Fischer, which is a strong recommend in my book. Davies may well be cool, though, I have just never heard anything from it. Let us know!

I will let ya know what I think Gurn! the reviews on amazon give it pretty favorable remarks. It shipped out today, so I'm eagerly awaiting to hear it!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 20, 2011, 05:14:28 PM
I will let ya know what I think Gurn! the reviews on amazon give it pretty favorable remarks. It shipped out today, so I'm eagerly awaiting to hear it!

Good deal, Leo. I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing; what kind of a deal did you get? I've seen prices all over the map, although I think that after it has been out longer it will stabilize. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

I'm waiting on a BRO package myself, which will contain 16 of the 17 Goodman Haydns. They didn't have ##82-84, so I had my local store order it for me. Waiting for that too.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 21, 2011, 02:19:56 AM
I'm waiting on a BRO package myself, which will contain 16 of the 17 Goodman Haydns. They didn't have ##82-84, so I had my local store order it for me. Waiting for that too.

Alright! I think you should be quite pleased with those. It is so disappointing when a good group makes 80+% of a cycle and then gets shut down. Along with Hogwood, and to a lesser extent Brüggen and Solomons, this is another sad example. But I do appreciate what they did anyway, which was some nice work. :)

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 21, 2011, 04:20:18 AM
Alright! I think you should be quite pleased with those. It is so disappointing when a good group makes 80+% of a cycle and then gets shut down. Along with Hogwood, and to a lesser extent Brüggen and Solomons, this is another sad example. But I do appreciate what they did anyway, which was some nice work. :)
8)

I have the Fischer, which I very much like except for the earlier recordings (of the later symphonies) which I find cavernous. Marriner's Paris set is much too staid. Fey's Paris set is fabulous. (Will they box his Londons sometime soon?) And I'm very fond of Colin Davis' Londons, though I don't suppose there is anything HIP about them.  ;) I'm looking forward to hearing Goodman's voice.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 20, 2011, 05:38:33 PM
Good deal, Leo. I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing; what kind of a deal did you get? I've seen prices all over the map, although I think that after it has been out longer it will stabilize. :)

8)

Gurn, with tax it came out to 60 bucks.
Not bad for 37 disks :) I got a new set from a seller.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 21, 2011, 05:13:07 AM
Gurn, with tax it came out to 60 bucks.
Not bad for 37 disks :) I got a new set from a seller.

:)

Yeah, that's a good deal. If I have seen it lower, it wasn't by much, but I've for sure seen it higher; over $100 in some places! :o

8)

chasmaniac

The Goodman platters are in and spinning, and this cat thinks they're cool, daddy, cool!
8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 22, 2011, 03:34:56 AM
The Goodman platters are in and spinning, and this cat thinks they're cool, daddy, cool!
8)

Alrighty then! :)  When i followed that same route I was very pleased with myself when the critical music playing began.

8)

Leo K.

I am now listening to the first disk of my new Haydn symphonies box (Dennis Russel Davies), and wow, it all sounds great!!! I am very happy with the performances and sound :)

chasmaniac

chasmaniac

Re. Goodman again, I was more than usually impressed by his #22 this morning. I think when I get home I'll compare it directly with the Fischer.

Gurn Blanston

Oh gosh, I hope I am not going to ruin everyone with that wretched Haydn music... :D :D

Good deal there, Leo. Hope it continues to please. :)

Well, Chas, I happen to have #22 here at work, so I will join you in listening to it. Always liked that symphony. :)

8)

Leo K.

I'm playing the second disk here at my second job, and playing the second disk as I scan products on the shelves! This stuff is fantastic! I will do the same at my full time job at the hospital later! Haydn all the time!

:) :) :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on September 23, 2011, 04:34:54 AM
I'm playing the second disk here at my second job, and playing the second disk as I scan products on the shelves! This stuff is fantastic! I will do the same at my full time job at the hospital later! Haydn all the time!

:) :) :)

Guess I should have put a disclaimer in my tagline;

Caution: Haydn can become a dominating influence to the musically susceptible!

:D

8)

chasmaniac

While we're indulging this addiction, I recently relistened to this:

I'm not enamoured of salient fortepiano, but found to my surprise I quite liked the instrument's effect in the quicksilver movements. The slow movements, alas, somewhat harshed my mellow.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 23, 2011, 05:04:37 AM

I'm not enamoured of salient fortepiano, but found to my surprise I quite liked the instrument's effect in the quicksilver movements. The slow movements, alas, somewhat harshed my mellow.

On that disk, I use Hob 04_1-4, the trios for 2 flutes and cello. They are especially nicely done. The fortepiano trios I use La Gaia Scienza on Winter & Winter. For those 4 flute trios though, CK can't be beat! :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: chasmaniac on September 23, 2011, 05:04:37 AM

Me want salient fortepiano! Me like salient fortepiano! Me want that disk!  8) ;D