Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasmaniac

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 11, 2011, 03:11:40 AM
Lethe recommended Beck many months ago, though I think on the main listening thread. I think she liked the CPO recordings too.

As energetic as CPE Bach, but more tuneful and at times quite nutty. The opener of #4 almost sounds like a parody! I imagine the musicians laughing right through it. Cool.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

chasmaniac

Been mucking about in this thread's murky depths. Here's a very nice thumbnail description of classical era music. Deserves repeating.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 04, 2009, 06:09:00 PM
The rather more dense polyphony of Baroque music, the long melodic line of Romantic music, the intellectual brilliance of modern music all have a strong attraction. The simplicity, squareness, lightness and elegance of classical music (I leave off the quotes here, we all know what I mean by now :) ) don't reach out and grab the vast majority of people in the same way. And yet, these exact things are what were considered to be the strong points of the music in its own time. Symmetry and transparency were the goals. The beauty lies in setting up (preparing) the modulations, not in letting you into the emotional world of the composer. The drama comes from delaying a return to the tonic key by taking a little trip through the dominant minor when you didn't expect that at all, not in leaving for some remote area in the Circle of Fifths and not coming back at all! When Mozart exposes a theme in Eine kleine Nachtmusik, you know he is going to develop it and then recapitulate it, and the whole thing is going to sound as though he couldn't possibly have written it any other way. And this rightness and inevitability is the source of the attraction of classical music. If you listen to enough of it, you, too, will be "hooked" on it. There is no bombast, but there is infinite intricacy and subtlety. :)
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

karlhenning

Tempora mutantur, of course . . . but the clean lines of the High Classical certainly possess their own native attraction.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on October 12, 2011, 04:58:33 AM
Been mucking about in this thread's murky depths. Here's a very nice thumbnail description of classical era music. Deserves repeating.

Thanks for dredging that up, chas. I was feeling quite poetic the day I wrote that. I better be careful now, I'll even have ME listening to Classical music... oh, wait... :-\   :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 12, 2011, 05:06:45 AM
Tempora mutantur, of course . . . but the clean lines of the High Classical certainly possess their own native attraction.

Tastes change, taste doesn't. :)  Even people who prefer other sorts of music usually can admit to the simple beauty of High Classical. 0:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: chasmaniac on October 12, 2011, 04:58:33 AM

That is fantastic to read again! This is a quote I often remember :)

SonicMan46

Well, just received a BRO package which included several Tactus CDs, an Italian company that I enjoy:

Merci, Luigi (c. 1695-c. 1750) - Flute Sonatas - YES, in that earlier transitional period between Baroque & Classical music, which I find one of my favorite eras to explore, so much changing!  An Italian who ended up in London (like so many others from the continent, like Handel of the same time period), and known there as Lewis Mercy - apparently an outstanding performer on the recorder who had to adapt to the 'newer' trends in music at the times.  This is my first experience w/ this composer, and not sure 'what else' is available?

But this is a fine disc w/ Sergio Balestracci on the 'Flauto diritto' - I assume kind of a cross between the recorder & flute; liner notes state a copy of an instrument after Thomas Stanesby (London, 1725/30); 'Fagotto' copy from early 18th century played by Paolo Tognon; and harpsichord performed by Roberto Loreggian - love this STUFF!  Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 13, 2011, 04:34:03 PM
Well, just received a BRO package which included several Tactus CDs, an Italian company that I enjoy:

Merci, Luigi (c. 1695-c. 1750) - Flute Sonatas - YES, in that earlier transitional period between Baroque & Classical music, which I find one of my favorite eras to explore, so much changing!  An Italian who ended up in London (like so many others from the continent, like Handel of the same time period), and known there as Lewis Mercy - apparently an outstanding performer on the recorder who had to adapt to the 'newer' trends in music at the times.  This is my first experience w/ this composer, and not sure 'what else' is available?

But this is a fine disc w/ Sergio Balestracci on the 'Flauto diritto' - I assume kind of a cross between the recorder & flute; liner notes state a copy of an instrument after Thomas Stanesby (London, 1725/30); 'Fagotto' copy from early 18th century played by Paolo Tognon; and harpsichord performed by Roberto Loreggian - love this STUFF!  Dave  :D

Hey, Dave, somewhere back in the mists of the past, in this very thread, one of our denizens posted that disk and we put in quite a bit of info; IIRC, I posted his Grove entry. You might dig that up for further info. He looked awfully interesting to me at the time, but I haven't acted upon it yet...

I have, however, got a disk featuring Robert Loreggian as recently as last weekend;

This disk features the rarely-recorded-on-period-instruments complete keyboard quartets of Hob 14. They are for Cembalo, 2 violins and Baßo. The only other version I have seen was by Ton Koopman, and I must say, I like these better, not least because of Loreggian's lively harpsichording. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
The Gamerith Consort - Hob 15_22 Trio in Eb for Fortepiano, Violin & Cello 3rd mvmt -  Finale: Allegro

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 13, 2011, 04:45:37 PM
Hey, Dave, somewhere back in the mists of the past, in this very thread, one of our denizens posted that disk and we put in quite a bit of info; IIRC, I posted his Grove entry. You might dig that up for further info. He looked awfully interesting to me at the time, but I haven't acted upon it yet...

Gurn - you're RIGHT!  :-[  I posted on this guy back in April of this year and acquired two discs, one of which I bought again!  OH GOD - I'm getting old!  Just checked my database and saw the 2 entries 'written in' so did not notice (guess I usually just look at those printed listings) - well, I must have enjoyed this composer - for those interested in Merci, do a search on this thread - plenty of info already available - Dave  ;) ;D   P.S. at least the CD was cheap!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 13, 2011, 05:05:59 PM
Gurn - you're RIGHT!  :-[  I posted on this guy back in April of this year and acquired two discs, one of which I bought again!  OH GOD - I'm getting old!  Just checked my database and saw the 2 entries 'written in' so did not notice (guess I usually just look at those printed listings) - well, I must have enjoyed this composer - for those interested in Merci, do a search on this thread - plenty of info already available - Dave  ;) ;D   P.S. at least the CD was cheap!

:D :D  I was gonna say "I thought it was you that posted it" but I figured nah, can't be...  :)

8)

Geo Dude

Since I mentioned my Mozart issues earlier, let me give a short update:

This disc has really clicked with me, from the first listen: 
[asin]B0007KTAXQ[/asin]

This one, unfortunately, leaves me cold: 
[asin]B0009JAENU[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 13, 2011, 07:32:51 PM
Since I mentioned my Mozart issues earlier, let me give a short update:

This disc has really clicked with me, from the first listen: 
[asin]B0007KTAXQ[/asin]

This one, unfortunately, leaves me cold: 
[asin]B0009JAENU[/asin]

I've heard good things about that Uchida/Steinberg disk so I guess I'm not surprised. It seemed for a long time that I was isolated in my Uchida appreciation, but now I see a lot more folks on the bandwagon. Steinberg is new to me, guess I'll have to try that disk out and hear him. :)

8)

chasmaniac

Right, so here are the composers, born 1700-80, who are represented in my collection. Who am I missing what shouldn't be missed?

Avison, Richter, Pergolesi, WF Bach, Boyce, CPE Bach, Stamitz pere, Giardini, Hartmann, Haydn, Beck, Gossec, JC Bach, Albrechtsberger, Haydn frere, Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Zimmerman, Rigel, Pichl, Tomasini, Gretry, Titz, Boccherini, Brunetti, Bengraf, Boulogne, Stamitz fils, Lombardini-Sirmen, Druschetsky, Canales, Forster, Shield, Rosetti, Teixidor, Reichardt, Hoffmeister, Viotti, Mozart, Kraus, Grill, Pleyel, Rolla, Krommer, Zmeskall, Dussek, Cherubini, Danzi, Ryba, Eybler, Romberg, Spech, Lickl, Beethoven, Wolfl, Crusell, H Jadin, Hummel.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 14, 2011, 04:15:43 AM
I've heard good things about that Uchida/Steinberg disk so I guess I'm not surprised. It seemed for a long time that I was isolated in my Uchida appreciation, but now I see a lot more folks on the bandwagon. Steinberg is new to me, guess I'll have to try that disk out and hear him. :)

8)

One of the things that impressed me about the disc was Uchida's playing.  Do you recommend her cycle of sonatas or any individuals recordings?  She seems like a Mozartian pianist I could really get into.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 14, 2011, 06:01:56 AM
One of the things that impressed me about the disc was Uchida's playing.  Do you recommend her cycle of sonatas or any individuals recordings?  She seems like a Mozartian pianist I could really get into.

Well, I listen to very little modern piano, but I have her's and Eschenbach's, also Walter Kiien's. I would rate them Uchida, Klien, Eschenbach. :)

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: chasmaniac on October 14, 2011, 04:20:55 AM
Right, so here are the composers, born 1700-80, who are represented in my collection. Who am I missing what shouldn't be missed?

Avison, Richter, Pergolesi, WF Bach, Boyce, CPE Bach, Stamitz pere, Giardini, Hartmann, Haydn, Beck, Gossec, JC Bach, Albrechtsberger, Haydn frere, Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Zimmerman, Rigel, Pichl, Tomasini, Gretry, Titz, Boccherini, Brunetti, Bengraf, Boulogne, Stamitz fils, Lombardini-Sirmen, Druschetsky, Canales, Forster, Shield, Rosetti, Teixidor, Reichardt, Hoffmeister, Viotti, Mozart, Kraus, Grill, Pleyel, Rolla, Krommer, Zmeskall, Dussek, Cherubini, Danzi, Ryba, Eybler, Romberg, Spech, Lickl, Beethoven, Wolfl, Crusell, H Jadin, Hummel.
Err, could you help a fellow GMGer out and alphabetize them or something?

However, here are a few discs worth persuing (that I didn't see on your list - apologies if I missed them):

Baguer (1768-1808)
[asin]B000000AZ4[/asin]

Paul Vranicky (Wranitzky) (1756-1808)
[asin]B000F0H3QE[/asin]

Christian Cannabich (1731-1798)
[asin]B00002R2TH[/asin]

Leopold Kozeluch (1747-1818)
[asin]B000001RZC[/asin]

Josef Myslivecek (1737–1781)
[asin]B000JFZ9FC[/asin]

Probably lots more. Do you have a particular interest - symphonic, chamber, etc? If you search further, there are usually at least several more discs to pursue for each composer.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Another new arrival & my first disc of this classical-romantic composer, depending on the dates & styles chosen:

Kalkbrenner, Friedrich (1785-1849) - Solo Piano Music w/ Michael Krücker on a restored Pleyel fortepiano (1836; restoration by Frits Janmaat, Amsterdam); German born pianist, composer, teacher, and piano manufacturer (in the Pleyel company) who spent most of his life in France and England.  Kalkbrenner was considered one of the foremost pianists of his time (and rated at the top by many, including one of his friends, Chopin - both dying in the same year) - much more information in this Wiki Bio HERE.  He was a prolific composer w/ much solo piano works, 4 piano concertos, piano trios & other chamber works to mention his most substantial output - his compositions are listed HERE; not much recorded at least on Amazon USA (2 piano concertos available on Hyperion).

The fortepiano in this recording is recorded in great form w/ a wide variety of works dating from 1819 to 1841; found an interesting review on Amazon UK HERE, in which one of the works present on the disc, i.e. Grande Sonate, Op. 28 is claimed to be the Piano Sonata, Op. 48; the reviewer is a pianist who has played Kalkbrenner's piano works, but this is my first exposure, so cannot comment - any others know?  :)

chasmaniac

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 14, 2011, 08:02:30 AM
Err, could you help a fellow GMGer out and alphabetize them or something?

Do you have a particular interest - symphonic, chamber, etc? If you search further, there are usually at least several more discs to pursue for each composer.

Actually, I listed them in chronological order by birth date. Not that that's helpful, I just did.  :D

My first interest is string chamber, followed by symphonies. What I know best are string quartets. (See here: http://thesavagebreast.blogspot.com/) I'm least interested in keyboard works. Of the composers you list, Kozeluch and Vranicky are represented in the "Contemporaries of Mozart Collection" box, which is at the top of my wish list. Cannabich and Myslivecek certainly interest me. I might have some of each of them in the Baroque Bohemia and Beyond set - don't recall offhand. Baguer I've never heard of, but if he's part of that Chandos series, he interests me too. (Is there any volume in that series that's not worth the bother?)

Leo K.

A new find! I love what I'm hearing from this composer:

Gaetano Pugnani (27 November 1731 – 15 July 1798)

On this disk:

Each Overture is more or less a symphony, in four movements each, with very engaging melodic phrases and interesting modulation and dynamics.

Great stuff!  ;D

Wiki stuff:
QuoteGaetano Pugnani (27 November 1731 – 15 July 1798, full name: Giulio Gaetano Gerolamo Pugnani) was born in Turin. He trained on the violin under Giovanni Battista Somis and Giuseppe Tartini. In 1752, Pugnani became the first violinist of the Royal Chapel in Turin. Then he went on a large tour that granted him great fame for his extraordinary skill on the violin. In 1754, he was very well received at the Concert Spirituel in Paris, but in 1768 he had an even more successful musical encounter in London, directing the King's Theatre from 1767 to 1769.

In 1770, Pugnani returned home to Turin and became the director of the Royal Chapel. His fame as a composer began to grow, but it would never equal his fame as a violinist. During this time, he also taught the violin. His most famous pupil was Giovanni Battista Viotti; from 1780 to 1782 they performed in Switzerland, Dresden, Warsaw and St. Petersburg. Pugnani died in Turin.

Fritz Kreisler borrowed Pugnani's name in order to publish some of his pieces (such as Praeludium and Allegro and Tempo di Minuetto), but in 1935 Kreisler revealed that these works were actually his own.

8)