Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: chasmaniac on October 14, 2011, 08:43:27 AM
Actually, I listed them in chronological order by birth date. Not that that's helpful, I just did.  :D

My first interest is string chamber, followed by symphonies. What I know best are string quartets. (See here: http://thesavagebreast.blogspot.com/) I'm least interested in keyboard works. Of the composers you list, Kozeluch and Vranicky are represented in the "Contemporaries of Mozart Collection" box, which is at the top of my wish list. Cannabich and Myslivecek certainly interest me. I might have some of each of them in the Baroque Bohemia and Beyond set - don't recall offhand. Baguer I've never heard of, but if he's part of that Chandos series, he interests me too. (Is there any volume in that series that's not worth the bother?)
Pretty much everything in the COM series is very good or better. No hestitations there. Of the discs I posted, I particularly like the Myslivecek. He and Cannabich also have chamber works you may like. I am not familar with the Baroque and Beyond disc, but I imagine they have some Myslivecek at a minimum (he has a whole range of works). Baguer, is part of that COM series, and seems to have been influenced by Haydn to a fair degree. 

Another composer you may like is Anton Reicha (1770-1836) - he has quite a range of works that are very good, but there is also a series of Wind Quintets that may be of interest. You may like Josef Reicha as well (cello concertos).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 14, 2011, 11:51:16 AM
Pretty much everything in the COM series is very good or better. No hestitations there. Of the discs I posted, I particularly like the Myslivecek. He and Cannabich also have chamber works you may like. I am not familar with the Baroque and Beyond disc, but I imagine they have some Myslivecek at a minimum (he has a whole range of works). Baguer, is part of that COM series, and seems to have been influenced by Haydn to a fair degree. 

Another composer you may like is Anton Reicha (1770-1836) - he has quite a range of works that are very good, but there is also a series of Wind Quintets that may be of interest. You may like Josef Reicha as well (cello concertos).

Myslivecek is certainly worth pursuing. I'll post a couple of disks when I get home tonight, although that Concerto Koln is as good as any to start with. I have 5 disks of the "Bohemia" series, I think he is represented on at least 2 of them, if not more.

Baguer is Spanish. A devotee of Haydn. I like that Chandos disk of his (of course).

Reicha is the cream of the crop, depending how you like winds or not. He is the best musician of the bunch, IMO. You really must try a disk of his wind quintets. The Naxos ones are more than adequate.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

So I'll take a good look at all the COM numbers and Reicha. Good advices. Thanks both.

Another place to look is on my own shelves: I have all 5 of the Bohemia discs and don't remember what's on them!

So much to hear and so little time!

(Right now I'm luxuriating with this:)

[asin]B003GY3S2Y[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

chasmaniac

A terrific listen during this morning's drive in:

[asin]B0006OPWBW[/asin]

Ah, the amazon thingy isn't working. I'm talkin' Georg Lickl's string 4s by the Authentics on Hungaroton. Maybe I can find another pic.

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

SonicMan46

Quote from: chasmaniac on October 17, 2011, 06:09:15 AM
A terrific listen during this morning's drive in:

Ah, the amazon thingy isn't working. I'm talkin' Georg Lickl's string 4s by the Authentics on Hungaroton. Maybe I can find another pic.

Here ya go - I own that disc (scanned and stored on my photo sharing site) - we may have discussed it earlier in this or other threads?  :)

chasmaniac

Yes, I think it's been mentioned here before, but I was particularly impressed with it this time around. While I'm quite happy to hear merely pleasant music in this format and style - Sirmen, Boulogne as examples - this stuff is pleasant AND ambitious & meaty.

Leon

I just discovered a composer of primarily keyboard music (harpsichord or fortepiano) who lived a short life during the first half of the Classical period.  Manuel Blasco de Nebra (1750-1784) was known mainly as an excellent organist, and who wrote many works - 170 are known, but which only 30 are thought to have survived.  I found this collection of keyboard sonatas played on a fortepiano by Tony Millan which immediately struck me as very unique in the liberal use of dissonance and what sounds like Spanish folk music influenced harmonic and melodic content.  I find his music very pleasing, and only wish more of it survived.

This particular item is hard to find and I was lucky to acquire it; to my ears the playing seems very good.  But Naxos has an complete series devoted to his extent keyboard music, and there are a few other recordings available.  HERE is a review of a different disc of sonatas which also supplies the basic biographical information.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on October 17, 2011, 08:21:01 AM
I just discovered a composer of primarily keyboard music (harpsichord or fortepiano) who lived a short life during the first half of the Classical period.  Manuel Blasco de Nebra (1750-1784) was known mainly as an excellent organist, and who wrote many works - 170 are known, but which only 30 are thought to have survived.  I found this collection of keyboard sonatas played on a fortepiano by Tony Millan which immediately struck me as very unique in the liberal use of dissonance and what sounds like Spanish folk music influenced harmonic and melodic content.  I find his music very pleasing, and only wish more of it survived.

This particular item is hard to find and I was lucky to acquire it; to my ears the playing seems very good.  But Naxos has an complete series devoted to his extent keyboard music, and there are a few other recordings available.  HERE is a review of a different disc of sonatas which also supplies the basic biographical information.

Arnold, yes, I think Nebra is very interesting too. I have the disk that you linked the review of; the music is excellent, although the inappropriateness of the instrument is unfortunate. Here is yet another, that has works both on harpsichord AND on fortepiano;

Cerasi is a first-rate keyboardist, I also have her Haydn disk that also includes a bit on the clavichord for good measure. :)  I am intrigued by that disk you pictured. I'll have to round that up. Pity such a small amount of his work survived. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Arnold on October 17, 2011, 08:21:01 AM

I too have the disk Gurn has:

It is a great find, although I really want a fortepiano recording, still...can't complain about this disk either. I love collecting sonatas from this era!

:-*

Que

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 17, 2011, 09:48:03 AM
Arnold, yes, I think Nebra is very interesting too. I have the disk that you linked the review of; the music is excellent, although the inappropriateness of the instrument is unfortunate. Here is yet another, that has works both on harpsichord AND on fortepiano;

Cerasi is a first-rate keyboardist, I also have her Haydn disk that also includes a bit on the clavichord for good measure. :)  I am intrigued by that disk you pictured. I'll have to round that up. Pity such a small amount of his work survived. :-\

8)

I have the pictured disc by Carole Cerasi. And was amazed by the sheer musical quality of Blasco de Nebra, who has such an unfortunately short life. Very impressive indeed - a kind of Spanish Clementi, but more modern, pre-Romantic even.

The Cerasi disc is wonderful, though for my money everything should have been played on the fortepiano. And it lacks a bit of bite. Strongly recommended nevertheless.

A complete Blasco de Nebra series would be absolutely perfect for Pieter-Jan Belder after his highly successfull Soler series on Brilliant.

Q

Geo Dude

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 09, 2011, 02:54:03 PM
You raise a good point!  All of those individual volumes will probably eventually be available in a larger box if I want them.  The one-offs will likely not.  In any case, I chose the Sturm und Drang disc.

And....a swing and a hit with the Sturm und Drang disc!  Excellent playing, consistently interesting thus far (listened to half the disc) and I'm not bothered by the sound of the fortepiano like I thought I might be.  Thanks again, Gurn.  His two discs in the ongoing series of Mozart on the fortepiano have been wish listed.

Leon

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on October 17, 2011, 10:21:37 PM
I have the pictured disc by Carole Cerasi. And was amazed by the sheer musical quality of Blasco de Nebra, who has such an unfortunately short life. Very impressive indeed - a kind of Spanish Clementi, but more modern, pre-Romantic even.

The Cerasi disc is wonderful, though for my money everything should have been played on the fortepiano. And it lacks a bit of bite. Strongly recommended nevertheless.

A complete Blasco de Nebra series would be absolutely perfect for Pieter-Jan Belder after his highly successfull Soler series on Brilliant.

Q

The Tony Millan disc that I posted about is on a fortepiano exclusively and I find it more than adequate, although without anything to make an informed comparison cannot speak beyond that personal opinion.  After doing a bit more research I've learned that Millan is a Spaniard and may have a intuitive connection to the music, but there was one negative comment regarding Millan from an anonymous commenter to the Ionarts review I linked.

If you would like to sample some of Tony Millan's interpretations of this music several clips can be found on YouTube.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 18, 2011, 04:19:14 PM
And....a swing and a hit with the Sturm und Drang disc!  Excellent playing, consistently interesting thus far (listened to half the disc) and I'm not bothered by the sound of the fortepiano like I thought I might be.  Thanks again, Gurn.  His two discs in the ongoing series of Mozart on the fortepiano have been wish listed.

Excellent! I am delighted that you like it. Generally speaking, for a cycle I stick with my Badura-Skoda. But for single and themed disks, I spend a lot of time looking for the best. I really think this is among them. :)

Anyway, us Texans gotta take care of each other, especially with Mozart. :D

8)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 18, 2011, 05:14:08 PM
Excellent! I am delighted that you like it. Generally speaking, for a cycle I stick with my Badura-Skoda. But for single and themed disks, I spend a lot of time looking for the best. I really think this is among them. :)

Well, the Badura-Skoda cycle is out of print, so I'll have to take what I can get..even if it means piece by piece.

QuoteAnyway, us Texans gotta take care of each other, especially with Mozart. :D

8)

On that note, I'm loving the Mackerras Mozart!  That said, my current reference recording is the Bohm and Berlin Philharmonic double disc recording and I'm noticing that some of the movements of the Mackerras take significantly longer (five minutes or more, per movement).  Is this just a difference in tempo or did Bohm make some cuts?  Anyone know?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on October 19, 2011, 06:18:20 PM
Well, the Badura-Skoda cycle is out of print, so I'll have to take what I can get..even if it means piece by piece.

On that note, I'm loving the Mackerras Mozart!  That said, my current reference recording is the Bohm and Berlin Philharmonic double disc recording and I'm noticing that some of the movements of the Mackerras take significantly longer (five minutes or more, per movement).  Is this just a difference in tempo or did Bohm make some cuts?  Anyone know?

Well, do I know beyond any doubt? No, I rarely if ever listen to 'modern' recordings of Mozart. However, I know this for sure; it was not only customary but practically necessary that many repeats were not taken. This was a big part of the German Post-Romantic orchestral tradition. If that practice doesn't account for the timing differences, I would be very surprised! :o  Perhaps one of our regulars who listens to both styles of performance with apparent impunity will fill us in. (I can say for sure that it isn't because Mackerras takes it slower!  :D )

8)

mc ukrneal

He
Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 20, 2011, 04:20:57 AM
Well, do I know beyond any doubt? No, I rarely if ever listen to 'modern' recordings of Mozart. However, I know this for sure; it was not only customary but practically necessary that many repeats were not taken. This was a big part of the German Post-Romantic orchestral tradition. If that practice doesn't account for the timing differences, I would be very surprised! :o  Perhaps one of our regulars who listens to both styles of performance with apparent impunity will fill us in. (I can say for sure that it isn't because Mackerras takes it slower!  :D )

8)
He did omit repeats and the tempos are not as fast.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Geo Dude

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 20, 2011, 06:08:32 AM
He He did omit repeats and the tempos are not as fast.

Thank you for the information.

Leon

Just acquired this and find it very very good:

Josef Martin Kraus - 4 Symphonies, Concerto Koln

[asin]B000001WOS[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on October 26, 2011, 06:12:53 PM
Just acquired this and find it very very good:

Josef Martin Kraus - 4 Symphonies, Concerto Koln

[asin]B000001WOS[/asin]

Ah, I'm jealous. I've been looking about for that disk for quite some time, ever since I heard CK playing Rosetti. Kraus' symphonies ARE good, and there is likely not a better band for them than Concerto Köln. Time to get back on that track for shopping. :)

8)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 27, 2011, 04:15:38 AM
Ah, I'm jealous. I've been looking about for that disk for quite some time, ever since I heard CK playing Rosetti. Kraus' symphonies ARE good, and there is likely not a better band for them than Concerto Köln. Time to get back on that track for shopping. :)

8)

A couple of AMP sellers are offering it new for < $11.00.

Good to know that I am not alone in admiring Kraus.