Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 05, 2011, 01:28:07 PM
Hey, Gurn, your Homero's quote recalls this funny quote by Bertrand Russell:

:D ;D :D

It's from an essay titled "Has Religion Made Useful Contributions to Civilization?". It's usually included as a part of the collection Why am I not a Christian? I think you would enjoy its reading, I mean if you have not read it already. :)

Antoine,
I have not read that, thanks for the mention. I have read a thing or two by Bertrand Russell and find him to be to my liking. As for Homero, well, hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing are gifts to mankind; occasional acknowledgement of same is only fitting. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
La Petite Bande; Sigiswald Kuijken - Hob 01_098 Symphony in Bb 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

New classical 4s  by Forster on the way from Hungaroton. No image yet. (There is one on Arkiv though.)

[asin]B00632KV9E[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 07, 2011, 06:04:41 AM
New classical 4s  by Forster on the way from Hungaroton. No image yet. (There is one on Arkiv though.)

[asin]B00632KV9E[/asin]

Cool! It doesn't appear to duplicate this one (which apparently doesn't have a pic either, but is the Les Adieux double disk ):

[asin]B000FAB8SS[/asin]

which is Op 19, 20 & 26, and the new one is Op 21. That's going to be on the list, I can see it now. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 07, 2011, 06:18:36 AM
Cool! It doesn't appear to duplicate this one (which apparently doesn't have a pic either, but is the Les Adieux double disk ):

[asin]B000FAB8SS[/asin]

which is Op 19, 20 & 26, and the new one is Op 21. That's going to be on the list, I can see it now. :)

8)

Which I too have. Nope, brand spanking! And so the wish list grows...  :D
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

I recently increased the footprint in my collection for a couple of Classical era  composers, Ferdinand Ries and Anton Reicha.  Ries might arguably be moving into the early Romantic period, but I still consider him as much of the Classical period as Beethoven.     8)

I've now all the Ries Symphonies and one half of his String Quartets and the late Flute Quartets.  All of these works are of a very high level and I am surprised his name is not better known outside of Classical era buffs, not to say programmed more often.   :o

I also acquired the 10 disc collection of Anton Reicha's Wind Quintets, thinking, well I bet ten discs of the same ensemble will offer up a lot of similar sounding music.  Not so!  The variety Reicha achieves using the same combination of instruments is simply astounding.

[asin]B000IY061Q[/asin] [asin]B000001RXQ[/asin] [asin]B000CGYO8G[/asin] [asin]B000VIFLX2[/asin]

:)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Arnold on November 08, 2011, 05:49:34 AM
I recently increased the footprint in my collection for a couple of Classical era  composers, Ferdinand Ries and Anton Reicha.  Ries might arguably be moving into the early Romantic period, but I still consider him as much of the Classical period as Beethoven.     8)

I've now all the Ries Symphonies and one half of his String Quartets and the late Flute Quartets.  All of these works are of a very high level and I am surprised his name is not better known outside of Classical era buffs, not to say programmed more often.   :o

I also acquired the 10 disc collection of Anton Reicha's Wind Quintets, thinking, well I bet ten discs of the same ensemble will offer up a lot of similar sounding music.  Not so!  The variety Reicha achieves using the same combination of instruments is simply astounding.

[asin]B000IY061Q[/asin] [asin]B000001RXQ[/asin] [asin]B000CGYO8G[/asin] [asin]B000VIFLX2[/asin]

Some excellent acquisitions there! If you like Ries, there are several piano concertos as well on Naxos. Naxos have also started a series of Ries Sonatas. There is also a disc of overtures on CPO if you want purely orchestral music. The two I love most from this period (those that are less visible) are Ries and Czerny.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 08, 2011, 06:06:13 AM
Some excellent acquisitions there! If you like Ries, there are several piano concertos as well on Naxos. Naxos have also started a series of Ries Sonatas. There is also a disc of overtures on CPO if you want purely orchestral music. The two I love most from this period (those that are less visible) are Ries and Czerny.

Hmmm - just reviewed my Ries collection - 14 discs including the complete symphonies (all but 2 on CPO); BUT surprisingly no Piano Concertos - need to look into that gap, especially since Ries as a student & kind of personal secretary to Beethoven (both from Bonn), and also premiered Ludwig's 3rd Piano Concerto writing his own cadenza!  :)

Leon

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 08, 2011, 07:13:49 AM
Hmmm - just reviewed my Ries collection - 14 discs including the complete symphonies (all but 2 on CPO); BUT surprisingly no Piano Concertos - need to look into that gap, especially since Ries as a student & kind of personal secretary to Beethoven (both from Bonn), and also premiered Ludwig's 3rd Piano Concerto writing his own cadenza!  :)

I plan on looking into the Ries Piano Concertos myself, but do not discount the String Quartets - they are well worth investigating.  There is a second installment which I will pick up immediately after listening to Vol. 1 and being very impressed.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Arnold on November 08, 2011, 07:16:39 AM
I plan on looking into the Ries Piano Concertos myself, but do not discount the String Quartets - they are well worth investigating.  There is a second installment which I will pick up immediately after listening to Vol. 1 and being very impressed.

Well, if you like chamber, there is plenty to investigate - trios, quartets, septets, etc. 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Leo K.

I'm finally getting Hyacinthe Jadin's sonatas:

Can't wait to hear this!

8)

Gurn Blanston

That's a big 'seconded' from here. I have both those Schuppanzigh disks and really like them. Strongly recommended. :)

I have the first 2 Naxos PC disks also and once again, very commendable. Wish I had more time, but for now, just saying that Ries is worth looking into, no doubt.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on November 08, 2011, 07:48:04 AM

Can't wait to hear this!

8)

Aghhh! I want it!  Amazon? :)

8)

Leon

Can't wait to hear this!

8)

I, too, am interested - in the music,    ;)    however, the album art leaves something to be desired.  :o

chasmaniac

Quote from: Arnold on November 08, 2011, 08:04:22 AM
I, too, am interested - in the music,    ;)    however, the album art leaves something to be desired.  :o

Is that a Hyacinthe Bucket?

SonicMan46

Hi Arnold - as mentioned I have plenty of Ries, mostly chamber works (other than the Symphonies), including both volumes of the SQs - recommended!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, I have just a single disc of these works on fortepiano - 3-CD set is rather expensive even on the Amazon MP (better looking cover art!) - but, the MP3 download is $9?  Liner notes - well I have some w/ the single disc - a consideration?  Dave :)

Leon

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 08, 2011, 08:41:17 AM
Well, I have just a single disc of these works on fortepiano - 3-CD set is rather expensive even on the Amazon MP (better looking cover art!) - but, the MP3 download is $9?  Liner notes - well I have some w/ the single disc - a consideration?  Dave :)

Yes, Dave I found the same info on Amazon and bookmarked the download. 

Leo K.

Richard Fuller also recorded this excellant disk, also available as an Amazon download:

[asin]B00014AQAE[/asin]

I love these obscure works!

8)

Leo K.

I am a fan of Ries too, and have slowly been gathering more CPO disks, as well as the Naxos set of his piano concertos, GREAT STUFF.

I keep forgetting to start on the Naxos series on his piano sonatas.

;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 08, 2011, 08:41:17 AM

Well could not wait & just $9 as a MP3 download - 12 Sonatas on 33 tracks (3 1/2 hours of music) - Richard Fuller plays on a Nannette Streicher fortepiano built in Vienna in 1814. This instrument is from a private Austrian collection and was restored in 2004 by Albrecht Czernin, Vienna, Austria - see the text information attached which includes a listing of the sonatas and some information about Fuller; also at the bottom of the notes is a website w/ more on Streicher - enjoy!

Now listening to these delightful works off my iPod - attached to my den stereo via the AUX input - worth the price of admission!  Dave :)

P.S. the fortepiano below is also a Streicher from the 1820s - could not locate a pic of the one Fuller is playing - sorry.