Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

This is a new group for me, The London Fortepiano Trio.  Hyperion has a nice 3-CD set of Six Piano Trios by Mozart which seems, upon first listening, to be very good.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of this group?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on November 10, 2011, 03:39:08 PM
This is a new group for me, The London Fortepiano Trio.  Hyperion has a nice 3-CD set of Six Piano Trios by Mozart which seems, upon first listening, to be very good.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of this group?

I like that set, and have this one too;

London Fortepiano Trio is one of the dozen or so groups that Monica Huggett fiddles with. Perhaps not always 'con fuego', but certainly always right on musically.

I don't know any other disks of theirs, although surely there must be some. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

Although his dates get well into the 18th century, he is only marginally to be considered a Classical era composer.  Possibly Galante?.   He is among that group of composers that wrote music bridging the Baroque and Classical periods.   But, having said that, the music on this disc is some of the best I've heard from a composer previously unknown to me.  So, if there is a better thread to place this post, moderators please move it there.

Giovanni Benedetto Platti (1692-1763)

Giovanni Benedetto Platti was trained in Venice, suggesting that he was a native of that city, but some authorities say he was from Bergamo. Between the ages of 20 and 22, he went to Germany (then a popular destination for young Italian musicians looking for jobs). He did obtain work in Würzburg with the bishop's court and stayed in that job until 1763, aside from a brief period after 1725 when all the court musicians were dismissed in an economy move. He was a singing teacher and a virtuoso oboist, violinist, and harpsichordist, fluent on cello and a good enough singer that he could depute as tenor when needed. In 1723, he married Theresia Langprückner, a soprano, in Mainz. They had two sons.

Platti began composing in a Baroque style and later made a transition to the newer galant style and the earlier Classical style. As time went on, his music became more German and less Italian. It has a strong sense of rhythmic life; good use of counterpoint (especially in the more Baroque early pieces); a full command of harmonic devices that leads to considerable variety in harmonic color; interesting syncopations; and good, often florid, melodies. On the other hand, he was often satisfied by the results of hasty work and these works tend to have trite, overworked sequential patterns.

© Joseph Stevenson, All Music Guide

Platti: Sonatas & Trios
Epoca Barocca

I can't say I agree completely with the end of Mr. Stevenson's last sentence, but to be fair, I have not listened to more than this one disc.  It is a ringer, imo.

It is beginning to strike me that I generally prefer music from the first part of the Classical era, and much of what was done before 1750 I find a bit more satisfying to my taste than that written near the end of the century and into the 19th.  But of course, one cannot do without, late Haydn, Mozart and all of Beethoven.   ;)

Geo Dude

A few pages back this set was discussed:

I've listened to symphonies 1, 2, 3, 5, and a few overtures and I must say that my jaw has dropped.  I've been looking for a more period-oriented Beethoven set lately and first tried the Abbado 2001 set as a sort of transitional stage between Karajan, Szell et. al. and HIP.  I wasn't as impressed as I would have liked (though it was good) and the third and sixth, two of my favorite symphonies, left me cold.  I was afraid that I was weaned on the more romantic variety of Beethoven and wouldn't be able to handle the sets more classical in orientation.  Boy was I wrong!  Immerseel's set is GREAT!  A passionate (but not overly romanticized) sound, great playing, none of the negative HIP stereotypes (ridiculously fast tempi, for example), strings that sound neither overly lush nor anemic...I still need to hear Harnoncourt's and Mackerras's (second) sets, but this may well be the set.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 13, 2011, 04:38:56 PM
A few pages back this set was discussed:

I've listened to symphonies 1, 2, 3, 5, and a few overtures and I must say that my jaw has dropped.  I've been looking for a more period-oriented Beethoven set lately and first tried the Abbado 2001 set as a sort of transitional stage between Karajan, Szell et. al. and HIP.  I wasn't as impressed as I would have liked (though it was good) and the third and sixth, two of my favorite symphonies, left me cold.  I was afraid that I was weaned on the more romantic variety of Beethoven and wouldn't be able to handle the sets more classical in orientation.  Boy was I wrong!  Immerseel's set is GREAT!  A passionate (but not overly romanticized) sound, great playing, none of the negative HIP stereotypes (ridiculously fast tempi, for example), strings that sound neither overly lush nor anemic...I still need to hear Harnoncourt's and Mackerras's (second) sets, but this may well be the set.

:)

It's a hard set not to like (unless you are just a anti-PI/HIP fanatic). And a couple of the symphonies are on my "Best PI Version" Hall of Fame. #5, for example. And as you pointed out, it puts the lie to the old generalization that "all HIP orchestral works are performed too fast to play". Given your enthusiasm, and also Elgarian's over the same set, I guess it will have to move to the top of my "recommend" list. The 2 modern instrument sets you mentioned are pretty fine too, but they just don't have that sound that I love so dearly. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 04:44:59 PM
Given your enthusiasm, and also Elgarian's over the same set...

And mine!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

This is something I just found that I think is fascinating:

The Secret Mozart: Works for Clavichord - Christopher Hogwood

[asin]B000FDFS04[/asin]

I can imagine this is what Mozart sounded like when he was alone in his room.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 14, 2011, 02:23:48 AM
And mine!

And Chas'...  :D
Quote from: Arnold on November 14, 2011, 04:18:33 AM
This is something I just found that I think is fascinating:

The Secret Mozart: Works for Clavichord - Christopher Hogwood

[asin]B000FDFS04[/asin]

I can imagine this is what Mozart sounded like when he was alone in his room.

I really like that disk. It was my first exclusively clavichord disk and came out while I was giving Mozart the same treatment that Haydn is getting now. It quickly shot to the top of my listening charts. :)

8)

chasmaniac

Listened to the first disc of each of these sets last night. I've long been unable to take toy pianos seriously, but I really liked the Haydn. Playful and fresh. Worries me that I might have a whole new vista of expense opening up in front of me!
[asin]B001EQPD3I[/asin]

This one, on the other hand... Euch! There be bad notes here! among the strings.
[asin]B000GYHR0Q[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 23, 2011, 02:59:10 AM
Listened to the first disc of each of these sets last night. I've long been unable to take toy pianos seriously, but I really liked the Haydn. Playful and fresh. Worries me that I might have a whole new vista of expense opening up in front of me!
[asin]B001EQPD3I[/asin]

This one, on the other hand... Euch! There be bad notes here! among the strings.
[asin]B000GYHR0Q[/asin]

No surprise about the Haydn, it's a sweet box. I have those disks in the Big Box, but if I didn't, the Small Box would be a no-brainer. Very nice. :)

A little surprised (and disappointed) about the Boccherini. I have those works already by other players so I never got that set. Looks like a good default choice now. :-\

8)

chasmaniac

Some o' you classical buffs might be interested to know that this little number has shown up on BRO for 21 greenbacks. I think it lovely, but then I'm pretty shallow, so ready your grains of salt!  :D

[asin]B000050FKM[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 25, 2011, 04:41:42 AM
Some o' you classical buffs might be interested to know that this little number has shown up on BRO for 21 greenbacks. I think it lovely, but then I'm pretty shallow, so ready your grains of salt!  :D

[asin]B000050FKM[/asin]

Interesting, chas. Always curious when a name pops up that I've never heard before. Time to do a little research. :)  Must be several disks (3?) if it is $21 at BRO!

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 25, 2011, 04:59:04 AM
Interesting, chas. Always curious when a name pops up that I've never heard before. Time to do a little research. :)  Must be several disks (3?) if it is $21 at BRO!

8)

Yes, 3 discs. $55.49 at Arkiv. Here's a review with which I concur:

QuoteFelice Giardini (1716-96) spent the largest part of his career in England, an exponent of the emerging Classical style. His string trios represent a major addition to this rewarding yet neglected medium. The 20 works recorded here all have three movements in moderate, slow, quick order. All last about 10 minutes, and none are in minor keys. These statistics alone should be sufficient to tell you that the music is neither especially complex nor particularly profound, but like so much music of the Rococo period, it's very pleasant taken in small doses. In fact, Giardini proves himself an expert craftsman and tunesmith, able to wrest an extraordinary amount of color and charm from his three players, and the music never turns dull or formulaic. The Budapest String Trio makes the best possible case for the composer, infusing as much rhythmic urgency and instrumental personality into each piece as the music will stand (without overdoing it). Toss in finely focused recording, and the result is self-recommending for string players and collectors of fine chamber music.
--David Hurwitz, ClassicsToday.com

SonicMan46

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 25, 2011, 04:41:42 AM

[asin]B000050FKM[/asin]

Well, I've had that one for a number of years - also, bought from BRO at a steal w/ the 3 discs included - recommended!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Now listening to a couple of BRO bargains that just arrived the other day! :)

Really enjoying this group, i.e. Piccolo Concerto Wien - Boccherini Divertimenti & Haydn Divertimenti a Quattro!

Geo Dude

A quick question before you folks return to your regularly scheduled discussion of obscure composers (:D):

If you could recommend three discs each of Haydn and Mozart string quartets (or a box set roughly equal to the cost of three single discs), what would you recommend?  Don't be shy about recommending HIP, either, if good interpretations are available.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 26, 2011, 04:33:55 PM
A quick question before you folks return to your regularly scheduled discussion of obscure composers (:D):

If you could recommend three discs each of Haydn and Mozart string quartets (or a box set roughly equal to the cost of three single discs), what would you recommend?  Don't be shy about recommending HIP, either, if good interpretations are available.

Well, I took a quick run through Amazon trying to pick a specific box for you, but it's just too damned hard! :-\

This sounds like you are thinking of giving a gift.

For Mozart I would choose a box with 3 disks of the "6 Quartets Dedicated to Haydn". There are simply dozens of ones out there. On modern instruments, I think the very first one that shows up if you search on mozart haydn quartet" is the Teldec box by the Alban Berg quartet. I am told by all parties that that is the one to have. My personal choices are all HIP, starting with Quatuor Mosaiqes, but it is OOP and you'll never find it so don't waste your time. My second favorite is the Kuijken Quartet on Denon. It is OOP and you'll never find it so don't waste your time. I could go on, but the only HIP box I was able to find at Amazon was Salomon Quartet and I haven't heard it specifically, although I have quite a bit of their Mozart and Haydn and do like it a lot. I might buy it myself before it is OOP and I'll never find it so I won't waste my time. :D

For Haydn. For <>$30 you can get either of the Mosaiques boxes.
[asin]B001F0JZZU[/asin]
or
[asin]B001F0K004[/asin]

Right this minute, the second one is not only the better bargain (as low as $22) but IMO if you are just starting with Haydn these are the ones to start with (Op 64, 76 & 77).

My 2 cents worth.

8)

----------------
Now playing:

L'Estro Armonico; Solomons - Hob 01_035 Symphony in Bb 2nd mvmt - Andante

kishnevi

Don't know how well this fits into your intentions, but you might want to consider this:
[asin]B005OZDXTQ[/asin]
One CD per composer.  Haydn is represented by Op. 77; Mozart by two of the "Haydn" quartets.

I know of two complete Mozart cycles DG has issued in budget format:  Amadeus Qt and Hagen Qt. 
[asin]B0033QEQGW[/asin]
[asin]B000FBH3XQ[/asin]

I have the Amadeus set and one of the CDs from the Hagen cycle;  i think the Hagens do a better job with the quartets on that individual CD, but of course I don't know if the rest of their cycle matches up, and I'm not sure of the higher price would be worth paying for the Hagen cycle.

chasmaniac

I'm with Gurn on the second Mosaiques Haydn box, opp. 64, 76, 77. And while it is HIP, the playing is disciplined and intonation excellent.

For Mozart something with similar characteristics, containing all of his "Haydn" quartets on 3 discs:

[asin]B000JBXIIG[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 27, 2011, 03:07:02 AM
For Mozart something with similar characteristics, containing all of his "Haydn" quartets on 3 discs:

[asin]B000JBXIIG[/asin]

Ah, I was looking at that one, but I hadn't heard anything about those ladies. Maybe I'll give them a shot now I know someone to blame it on... ;D ;D

8)