Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 20, 2012, 04:27:05 AM
No, I never have anyway. Interesting. I note that he follows in the Iberian tradition of single movement sonatas. I often wonder at the internal structural differences that can make the work called Sonata 13 in F at 7:32 be called a sonata, while the Allegro in track 8 at 6:18 is simply an Allegro and not also a sonata. :-\  Anyway, curious to hear back from you on him. :)

8)

Gurn,

This is a wonderful sounding fortepiano recording, it sparkles and has a beautiful tone, a pure wood-warm sound. Rodriguez's music is subtle, reaching some deep meloncoly in the slow sections. The music gets more thoughtful as the program progresses. Suggesting a wider range of emotion over time.

I look forward to researching more of Rodriguez's life, as I haven't even looked yet.

:)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Leo K on May 29, 2011, 10:50:10 AM
Nice!

I would like to track the Wolf recording down sometime, that is right up my alley. I also need to hear Alberti yet  ;D

As for Galuppi, he is a recent discovery for me too, here are the recordings I am enjoying of his work, played by Ilario Gregoletto on a harpischord:

It looks like these have been boxed up on Newton. Cover is not as nice though.
[asin]B007C7FDJM[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Que

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 01, 2012, 04:22:57 AM
It looks like these have been boxed up on Newton. Cover is not as nice though.
[asin]B007C7FDJM[/asin]

I noticed it as well - it reportedly includes some music not issued on MeM.

Never mind the cover - I'll be all over it. 8)

Q

Leon

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 11, 2012, 08:18:13 AM
David - yep, Que has also been lauding those Spanyi recordings for quite a while - just now check the BIS website (HERE), and he is up to about 30 volumes of the keyboard concertos (7) and the sonatas (23) - WOW!  I have just 3 discs of CPE Bach's keyboard works which includes one of the BIS solo recordings - kind of waiting for a BIG BOX to appear but not sure if or when?  Dave :)

Addendum: Well, just checking Amazon which lists more volumes for the concertos, so the BIS listing may be incomplete!

The thing about the BIS website is that you can listen to each volume, not samples but, complete through a partnership with Naxos.  I am listening to Vol. 6 as I type.  I chose Vol. 6 since it is one that is not available for downloading (which it appears most of the others are from Arkiv Music) and is OOP at most sellers, with the exception of Qualiton Imports, the official BIS distributor in the US.

chasmaniac

Quote from: chasmaniac on January 27, 2012, 02:23:23 AM
A new disc of string 4s by le divin Hyacinthe is on the way. Opp. 1/1 and 3/1 we've had on discs from Quatuors Franz Joseph et Mosaiques, but 3/3 I haven't heard. Don't know whether or not this is the same Cambini Quartet that put out 2 sets of Canales and one of Teixidor on La Ma de Guido.

[asin]B0042GNDWA[/asin]

This thing disappeared without a trace before being released, as far as I can tell. Never came to sale. Hmm.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mc ukrneal

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 05, 2012, 06:26:22 AM
This thing disappeared without a trace before being released, as far as I can tell. Never came to sale. Hmm.
Timpini is a strange label. I had been waiting for Ropartz symphony No. 3, and it looks like something similar happened. It's like I blinked and missed it. However, they are at mdt and the label is on sale. You could try ordering through them and see what happens.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

chasmaniac

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 05, 2012, 06:56:13 AM
Timpini is a strange label. I had been waiting for Ropartz symphony No. 3, and it looks like something similar happened. It's like I blinked and missed it. However, they are at mdt and the label is on sale. You could try ordering through them and see what happens.

Here it is on their website with a short sample: http://www.timpani-records.com/1c1170.php

I'm not desperate to buy it, as I have 2 of its 3 quartets already in good recordings. Just thought the hide-and-go-seek marketing weird.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

chasmaniac

Some comedy gold! from Leo Smith's Music of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries (Dent, 1931), p.235:

QuoteThe fall of the eighteenth-century curtain, therefore, is with the accomplishments of Haydn and Mozart. And one may summarize these accomplishments as follows: Their work saw two things well done: (1) a new instrumental music sufficiently advanced to become the daily fare of the century which followed; (2) the completion of a bridge over which those great giants, Beethoven and Schubert, and their successors were to tread.

Leo K.

Quote from: Leo K on March 11, 2012, 12:19:57 PM
The music of Baldassare Galuppi is an underated treasure.

I recently aquired this set of three individual disks, played on the piano by Peter Seivewright, and I was not prepared by the beautiful sound of the execution and nuance heard on this set. I think only three volumes are out so far, with more to come, hopefully.

I am hearing this composer in a completely different way. The music doesn't have the action of a Scarlatti or Soler, but makes up by being achingly melodic and lush, with explorations with melodic pace, and sometimes harmony that astounds me. These recordings are something to behold.

I'm more impressed by Peter Seivewright's Galuppi on each listen, wow, completely stunning.

chasmaniac

Do classical-era sonatas for violin and piano begin with Mozart and end with Beethoven? Who else wrote some and Why not?!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 11, 2012, 04:59:50 AM
Do classical-era sonatas for violin and piano begin with Mozart and end with Beethoven? Who else wrote some and Why not?!

Boccherini's Op 5 is 6 nice sonatas (from 1767).

CPE Bach wrote <>6 also.

Accompanied sonatas were a big deal at that time. I think most composers had a go at them. Not a lot have made it into the modern, standard repertoire though. You know how we are... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 11, 2012, 05:12:43 AM
Boccherini's Op 5 is 6 nice sonatas (from 1767).

CPE Bach wrote <>6 also.

Accompanied sonatas were a big deal at that time. I think most composers had a go at them. Not a lot have made it into the modern, standard repertoire though. You know how we are... :-\

8)

Take my harpsichord... please!

This set has fortepiano. Are you familiar with it? It has a set of trios too, but I can't tell which opus - I have a couple of those already (opp. 14 & 47) and don't wish to duplicate.

[asin]B0013LP6MW[/asin]

Eck! Image won't work. It's the 2 disc set on Brilliant with Gatti, Alvini et al.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 11, 2012, 05:39:49 AM

This set has fortepiano. Are you familiar with it? It has a set of trios too, but I can't tell which opus - I have a couple of those already (opp. 14 & 47) and don't wish to duplicate.

[asin]B0013LP6MW[/asin]

Eck! Image won't work. It's the 2 disc set on Brilliant with Gatti, Alvini et al.

No, Boccherini's was specifically written for fortepiano. There was a lady in Paris that he was trying to.. get to know, who was famous for her... fortepianism. He dedicated it to her, and it was the first set of these works specifically written for fortepiano. I have the Tactus set, it's really quite good. :)

Looking at your link, I would say that's a good option. I would like it! :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 11, 2012, 05:12:43 AM
8)

That's just it. Where are the recordings, man?

chasmaniac

Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2012, 06:38:01 AM
Hey, but if you knew how fond I am of birds . . . .

I'm fond enough of them to keep them far away from my 3 cats! Got within 10 feet or so of (what I took to be) a Cooper's Hawk just yesterday. A beautiful, raw, fierce creature i'twas.

Gurn: I've plunked for the CPE. Oboyoboyoboy!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 11, 2012, 08:03:04 AM
I'm fond enough of them to keep them far away from my 3 cats! Got within 10 feet or so of (what I took to be) a Cooper's Hawk just yesterday. A beautiful, raw, fierce creature i'twas.

Cool, I think you'll like it. :)

I have a variety of hawks here, too. A red-tailed nest right outside my yard. Dat's some big bird, man!

8)

Que

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 11, 2012, 08:03:04 AM

Good choice! :)

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on Today at 08:39:49 AM

OK, well here is the Tactus disk I mentioned. Oddly, it is the very same recording that you showed on Brilliant. Looks like the licensed it from Tactus.

So really, recordings are even thinner on the ground than I thought they were. :-\

8)

KeithW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 11, 2012, 06:12:52 AM
Oh sure, we've discussed it here a few times. At least 3 of us have that disk and think it's the cat's ass. Amandine Beyer is a very fine fiddler indeed. She is a protege of Chiara Bianchini of Ensemble 415 and it shows in her style. :)

8)

My copy arrived today. Looking forward to listening to it with a nice glass of red in hand  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: KeithW on April 11, 2012, 12:45:03 PM
My copy arrived today. Looking forward to listening to it with a nice glass of red in hand  :D

Hope you like it as much as I do. That red sounds like a nice complement to the music too!

8)