Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on August 19, 2012, 06:16:32 PM
Ah, interesting, Gurn.  Odd how cpo couldn't decide which to use.

I think that one is more correct to use the term that was prevalent at the time of composition. Thus Beethoven wrote a Symphonie concertante, while Brahms wrote a Double Concerto. But that's just my opinion. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 19, 2012, 02:57:50 PM
Brian,
Can you tell us anything about Westerhoff? He's a new name to me!  Clarinet and bassoon make a lovely combination, as Beethoven taught us in his 3 Duos for Clarinet & Bassoon (WoO 27 1-3). I'll have to work my way around to that, thanks!

8)

Westerhoff died quite young - just 42, in 1806 - and he was concertmaster at some extremely obscure court in Germany (headed by a Princess!), where he succeeded another man who had died more or less instantly on taking the job, who in turn had succeeded J.C.F. Bach! Quite little is known about Westerhoff generally, except that he was originally from Osnabruck. As far as I know he only had six published compositions; the Clarinet Concerto was Op 5 and a flute concerto was Op 6. There is also a viola concerto. (The two other works on the CPO CD do not have opus numbers.) Quite interesting choices of soloists, then. This is the first recording of his music; the clarinet concerto had been rediscovered in some castle's archives by the legendary Dieter Klocker, who passed the manuscript on to the CPO soloist, Sebastian Manz, shortly before his (Klocker's) death in 2011.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on August 19, 2012, 06:46:41 PM
Westerhoff died quite young - just 42, in 1806 - and he was concertmaster at some extremely obscure court in Germany (headed by a Princess!), where he succeeded another man who had died more or less instantly on taking the job, who in turn had succeeded J.C.F. Bach! Quite little is known about Westerhoff generally, except that he was originally from Osnabruck. As far as I know he only had six published compositions; the Clarinet Concerto was Op 5 and a flute concerto was Op 6. There is also a viola concerto. (The two other works on the CPO CD do not have opus numbers.) Quite interesting choices of soloists, then. This is the first recording of his music; the clarinet concerto had been rediscovered in some castle's archives by the legendary Dieter Klocker, who passed the manuscript on to the CPO soloist, Sebastian Manz, shortly before his (Klocker's) death in 2011.

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for that. Yes, ole Dieter sure could sniff out a clarinet piece at 1000 metres, couldn't he?  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

To continue the discussion (and I am not sure if this CD has already mean mentioned) of Kozeluch and Bassoon Concertos, I am listening to this recording, which along with the Kozeluch Bassoon concerto, it has two BC by JC Bach

[asin]B000006N2O[/asin]

Bassoon concertos are a favorite of mine - there is something about the blend of the bassoon and strings which I find especially pleasing.  The playing on this CD is very fine and the Kozeluch work is one of his best, imo. 

EDIT: at first I thought this disc had both of Kozeluch's Bassoon concertos, but in checking closer, it has two by JC Bach and the C Major by Kozeluch.  My confusion was that both JC Bach and Kozeluch wrote a BC in B-flat.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on August 20, 2012, 05:35:53 AM
To continue the discussion (and I am not sure if this CD has already mean mentioned) of Kozeluch and Bassoon Concertos, I am listening to this recording, which along with the Kozeluch Bassoon concerto, it has two BC by JC Bach

[asin]B000006N2O[/asin]

Bassoon concertos are a favorite of mine - there is something about the blend of the bassoon and strings which I find especially pleasing.  The playing on this CD is very fine and the Kozeluch work is one of his best, imo. 

EDIT: at first I thought this disc had both of Kozeluch's Bassoon concertos, but in checking closer, it has two by JC Bach and the C Major by Kozeluch.  My confusion was that both JC Bach and Kozeluch wrote a BC in B-flat.

Thanks for that link, Arnold. I share your enjoyment of bassoon concertos, also of bassoon 4tets & 5tets which even more showcase that wonderful sound.

For a lesser known composer who really knew the bassoon, I can heartily recommend this one;

[asin]B00006IWV4[/asin]

I would welcome a discussion of classical era bassoon music here, both concertos and chamber music. :)

8)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 20, 2012, 06:11:20 AM

I would welcome a discussion of classical era bassoon music here, both concertos and chamber music. :)

8)

This is a very fine disc of bassoon + strings, with music by Reicha.

[asin]B005203582[/asin]

Reicha as is well known wrote dozens of wind quintets, I think the complete collection numbers ten discs, but these works are for bassoon and strings and are simply wonderful.

Wakefield

I'm not sure if this disc has been mentioned before:

[asin]B0085AXSAQ[/asin]

It's excellent as usual with Alexander-Max.  :)

QuoteThe instrument used for this recording is the Grand Piano by Ferdinand Hofmann (1756-1829), Vienna, ca. 1790, a beautifully preserved cherry-wood piano made in Vienna between 1785 and 1790. It is one from the permanent collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Hofmann, an organ and piano builder, was a leading member and president (1808) of the civic keyboard-maker's association, and a recipient of a court appointment in 1812. This piano is one of his earlier efforts in a production history spanning from 1784 to 1825. His twenty existing grand pianos document the development of Viennese piano technology between Mozart's later years and the death of Schubert. The keyboard has a five-octave range, FF–f3. The sound may be altered by a hand stop moderator (mute) centred above the nameplate, or by knee levers below the keyboard that lift an undivided damper rail. Having the privilege to play such an instrument gives one insight into the early performance practices as well as the aesthetics of both piano design and sound during the late 18th century.

-- Susan Alexander-Max
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Leo K on August 16, 2012, 11:10:02 AM
Mc ukrneal, I'm very happy that you enjoy this set too! I have some Galuppi on harpsichord, but these recordings on piano really resonate with me more. One of those rare times where I don't go PI!  :o 8)

Galuppi was a favourite of Michelangeli. His 5th sonata especially (why that is I cannot tell: that's the extent of my Galuppi discography !). Full-blown piano sound of course, but given the Michelangeli treatment: crystalline tone, immaculately articulated pianism. Recommendations for a second step?

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on September 21, 2012, 01:59:51 PM
I'm not sure if this disc has been mentioned before:

[asin]B0085AXSAQ[/asin]

It's excellent as usual with Alexander-Max.  :)

I have the Prussians on the harpsichord (van Asperen) . Do you recommend Alexander-Max? How does that particular pianoforte sound ?

Wakefield

Quote from: André on September 21, 2012, 06:47:05 PM
I have the Prussians on the harpsichord (van Asperen) . Do you recommend Alexander-Max?
Absolutely, it's a highly recommendable disc, almost mandatory for people interested in this transitional repertory. Alexander-Max gets an outstanding balance between the structural aspects of every sonata and the deep feelings expressed by the composer, making easy to understand how CPE was a model for Haydn and Mozart. I think the fortepiano is, in that sense, more suitable to these sonatas than the harpsichord.

Quote from: André on September 21, 2012, 06:47:05 PM
How does that particular pianoforte sound ?
Excellent, it's an instrument superbly conserved, with no traces of aging. Maybe a little bit more Walter than Stein in conception, it's especially suited to express deep feelings in the slow movements.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

It exist more specialized threads dedicated to Beethoven and his piano sonatas, but I think this link belongs to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ep7SS8S_o1Y

Wonderful, isn't it?
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Even better than that! The denizens of The Corner are more simpático with that sort of thing, I would think. Tell me, Gordo, have you previously heard of a Jones-Round fortepiano? It's a new one on me, the sound is great for an original 1805 instrument. I will do some research, but one must think on the face of it that it will be an English action double or triple strung bass. Very nice indeed!  :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 06, 2012, 06:40:44 AM
It exist more specialized threads dedicated to Beethoven and his piano sonatas, but I think this link belongs to this thread:

Wonderful, isn't it?

Nice timing! I've been on a Op. 57 kick since yesterday morning; was listening to Kempff a few hours ago, and now just as I was wondering whom to listen on YouTube (no Gulda for now, thank you), I see your post. :)

[Although I think you should have cross-posted this elsewhere too -- the "Beethoven in Period Instruments" thread, for instance... I rarely visit the Corner.]
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2012, 06:57:14 AM
Even better than that! The denizens of The Corner are more simpático with that sort of thing, I would think. Tell me, Gordo, have you previously heard of a Jones-Round fortepiano? It's a new one on me, the sound is great for an original 1805 instrument. I will do some research, but one must think on the face of it that it will be an English action double or triple strung bass. Very nice indeed!  :)

8)

I have never heard of a Jones-Round fortepiano, Gurn.

Well, Ooi is a new name to me, too.

I found some other videos dedicated to Beethoven or arrangements of Beethoven's music, played by him on different pianofortes.

1 - Piano Sonata Op. 49-2 No. 20 II Tempo di Menuetto (1796)
(replica after A.Stein ca. 1790, 5-octave)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZk06FRnWo&feature=BFa&list=PL16BE3E7E18C74A52

2 - Große Fuge (Winkler Arr.) Op. 133 (1826)
(J. Broadwood 1816, 6-octave)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRLbxLr4ik&feature=BFa&list=PL16BE3E7E18C74A52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialvRFZFEho

3.- Symphony No. 3 "Eroica" Op. 55 (Liszt Arr. 1865?)) I Allegro con brio
(J. Streicher 1846, 7-octave)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrGXL4xC4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1nnAuO7oog

-- Voltaire

Wakefield

BTW, doing some research, I have found that Hiroaki Ooi has recorded several discs with the piano sonatas (there are 3 discs on iTunes) and at least one disc of piano arrangements of Beethoven's symphonies and string quartets. I have tried, but physical copies are apparently impossible to get.
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 06, 2012, 07:37:15 AM
BTW, doing some research, I have found that Hiroaki Ooi has recorded several discs with the piano sonatas (there are 3 discs on iTunes) and at least one disc of piano arrangements of Beethoven's symphonies and string quartets. I have tried, but physical copies are apparently impossible to get.

Interesting. He is a more-than-competent player with a very tasteful technique. Of course, he's no Lang Lang, but that can only be a good thing, yes?  :D

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 06, 2012, 07:37:15 AM

There's one on E-Bay for $5.99. Regarding the others, you can send a tweet to the man himself to find out. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2012, 07:43:04 AM
Interesting. He is a more-than-competent player with a very tasteful technique. Of course, he's no Lang Lang, but that can only be a good thing, yes?  :D

8)

Yes..., who knows, maybe a research titled "The Invention of the Piano Virtuoso" wouldn't be unworthy of your attention.  :)
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Opus106 on October 06, 2012, 07:44:59 AM
There's one on E-Bay for $5.99. Regarding the others, you can send a tweet to the man himself to find out. ;)

Great idea! :)
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quiet in The Corner... too quiet!  :o  My fault, of course. I've been poring over the specific and sadly neglecting the generic.

[asin]0393098680[/asin]

I am currently in the process of rereading this excellent little book. If you were to explore it yourself, you would find the foundation of my often expressed beliefs in the nature of Classico-Romantic music. Since this is a subject that crops up all over the Board with painful frequency, and often expounded upon by people who really shouldn't be expounding at this point in time, I heartily commend it to you. It is that oddity among books today; informative AND affordable!! Who knew? So anyway, if anyone out there cares to scoop up a copy and perhaps discuss it here in public, I would greatly enjoy that. :)

8)