Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on February 01, 2013, 09:14:25 AM
. . .  I am probably more inclined to prefer the violin, viola, cello incarnation of the form rather than the two violin ensemble.

Likewise . . . apt to favor the broader range.

Mind you, writing for a 2-vn/va trio would be a toothsome challenge.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Found this on Spotify

[asin]B000068R1A[/asin]

String Trios by Johann Georg Albrechtsberger and Johannes Sperger (new composer to me) - I think these are for violin, viola and cello.

Also found were several recordings each of the Boccherini and Beethoven trios, and one of the Wranitzky.  But 20th century composers were also fond of this ensemble.

SonicMan46

Quote from: sanantonio on February 01, 2013, 09:28:26 AM
Found this on Spotify

String Trios by Johann Georg Albrechtsberger and Johannes Sperger (new composer to me) - I think these are for violin, viola and cello.

Also found were several recordings each of the Boccherini and Beethoven trios, and one of the Wranitzky.  But 20th century composers were also fond of this ensemble.

Well, I have that Albrechtsberger (1736-1809) disc; the liner notes states that he wrote 28 trios (does not clarify whether these were all 'string trios'), but he was 20 yrs older that Wranitzky and may have certainly composed these earlier (dates are not given in the liner notes for the works (Op. 9, N.1-3).  SO - the plot thickens - how many others were putting the viola in the mix around that time. 

Another 'candidate' is Felice Giardini (1716-1796), an Italian who ended up residing in London & was friends w/ JC Bach.  The recording that I inserted above is a 3-CD set of String Trios w/ a viola used; now, Giardini was a violinist and the notes are not clear as to whether these were written originally for 2 violins nor are the dates of composition given (Op.17,Nos.1-6; Op.20,Nos.1-6,Op.26,Nos.1-6) - some of these had to be written before either of the younger two above?  BTW - if you shop @ BRO (Berkshire Record Outlet), that 3-disc set is still available for $21 (bought mine a number of years ago); also, a 10/10 review by Hurwitz HERE.  Dave

Leo K.

Quote from: sanantonio on February 01, 2013, 09:28:26 AM
Found this on Spotify

[asin]B000068R1A[/asin]

That is one wonderful disk. I wish there was more Albrechtsberger around. I love his string quartets as played by the Authentic Quartet.

SonicMan46

Well, concerning the post @ the bottom concerning the Wranitzky String Trios, I received a reply from Mr. Richie (quoted immediately below) - just FYI for those who may be considering purchasing this recording.  Dave :)

QuoteThank you for your message: I'm pleased that our Mozart trios are among your favourites, and I hope that the Wranitzky gives you pleasure.

As you'll have noted, the room we recorded the Wranitzky in is in the Lobkowitz Palace in Vienna, the very room in which the composer was concertmaster for the premiere performances of Beethoven's 3rd and 4th Symphonies. These were somewhat magical surroundings, as you may imagine! The room is a typical 18th-century salon - large and extremely ornate, with a high, vaulted ceiling, parquet floors and a lot of irregular reflecting surfaces which served to create a warm, luminous, yet clear tone quality. We played in the centre of the room, and I don't recall there being any particular difficulty with the acoustics. I'm quite happy with the recorded sound.

With best wishes,

Stanley Ritchie

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 31, 2013, 04:31:46 PM
This afternoon, I left the post quoted below in the 'Listening Thread' commenting on the recording discussed; my first listening was w/ headphones; tonight because of Harry's negative comments, I'm now listening to this recording on my den speakers - sounds MUCH better, i.e. no noticeable extraneous noises (except on one movement) and the playing is up front w/o any reverberant effects - maybe just my 'listening space'?  I also found the email address of Stanley Ritchie @ Indiana University and sent him a message; of course, I'm not sure if that is still an active address and/or whether he will even respond, but if so, I'll report back here!  But if others have heard this recording, comments would be appreciated - this is delightful music by a composer who may have been the instigator of the String Trio? Dave :)

Wakefield

I thought this is the right place to post this link:

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Les_Salons_de_Musique_Chiaroscuro_Quartet_Jerome_Pernoo/6779/Mozart___Allegro_Moderetto__Quatuor_a_cordes_opus_15_en_re_mineur_KV_421/

Very, very interesting interpretations of the Chiaroscuro String Quartet, specially their "dark" (oscuro) and painful Mozart. Nice single movement of Haydn too, although it could have been better. IMO the only problem of this ensemble is the little Alina, who's too strong, too intense as violinist, demanding a lot of attention... but I can live with that. :)

Not to mention this Arte Live Web TV, a discovery itself.  8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

San Antone

I posted this in the Listening thread but thought a new period instrument string quartet (new to me , that is) was worth mentioning over here:

Quote from: sanantonio on April 25, 2013, 07:34:53 AM
Vanhal | Late String Quartets
Camesina Quartet

These works are perfect for someone who enjoys Haydn and Mozart string quartets and might be looking to expand beyond those well known works.  The Camesina Quartet is new to me, but a period instrument group (always gets my attention) who has also recorded quartets  by Dussek.

:)

Has anyone else heard of this quartet?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on April 25, 2013, 07:39:28 AM
I posted this in the Listening thread but thought a new period instrument string quartet (new to me , that is) was worth mentioning over here:

Has anyone else heard of this quartet?

Yes, I have them playing Dussek's quartets on a different label. I think they're first-rate, actually. I have this disk wishlisted at Amazon, hope to have it in hand soon! 

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

New release: HIP classical-era quartets!!

Surprisingly adventurous, very well built, with great seriousness of purpose and memorable ideas. Gyrowetz was especially good with openings; each of these so far has begun with a deft and attention-grabbing gesture of some kind. Haydnesque but not so witty.

EDIT: Whoa, really startling dissonances in the trio of the last quartet here!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on April 29, 2013, 09:37:58 AM
New release: HIP classical-era quartets!!

Surprisingly adventurous, very well built, with great seriousness of purpose and memorable ideas. Gyrowetz was especially good with openings; each of these so far has begun with a deft and attention-grabbing gesture of some kind. Haydnesque but not so witty.

EDIT: Whoa, really startling dissonances in the trio of the last quartet here!

I got these way back when they came out in 2000:

[asin]B000050X9Q[/asin]

They are the Op 44 quartets, so a bit later than on your new one here (Op 13 & 29). I always liked that disk a lot, sort of forgot all about it til now. I'll get your new one and pull out the old one too and have a quartet party. :)  Thanks, B.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Gyrowetz, Adalbert - just have 3 discs of his music, i.e. the SQs (same one as Gurn's CD), Piano Trios, Flute Quartets - will likely add Brian's recommendation, AND also wondering about the disc below - like that series - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Sampling a piano trio disc of Gyrowetz; most agreeable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Gurn, I'll try to find that Hyperion album, but it might be available only through MP3 download on their website. Based on what I heard from Op 29/1, this is a composer with interesting things to say (hope there are more dissonant "spikes" elsewhere in his work). I'll see what else is on NML, too. If the Symphonies disc is there, I'll report back for Dave. :)

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on April 29, 2013, 12:06:09 PM

That was one I listened to as well, and found it very nice.

Brian

Checking back in to say that I tried the Bamert disc of Gyrowetz symphonies - or rather, tried the shortest of the three symphonies it contains. The movements were almost in reverse order of interest: the first is deadly dull, formulaic, very much disappointing; the second perked my ears up a bit, rather livelier than your usual slow movement, and the symphony reaches its modest peak with a French-horn-heavy trio to the minuet. Second time in a row that the trio has been my favorite part of his piece!

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on April 29, 2013, 12:06:09 PM

Quote from: sanantonio on April 29, 2013, 12:23:46 PM
That was one I listened to as well, and found it very nice.

Hi Karl & SanAntone - assume that you're listening to the recording below, i.e. the one in my 'small' collection of his works.  Dave :)

P.S. if not, then let me know the performers - might be another one to consider?

San Antone

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 29, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
Hi Karl & SanAntone - assume that you're listening to the recording below, i.e. the one in my 'small' collection of his works.  Dave :)

P.S. if not, then let me know the performers - might be another one to consider?

That was the one I listened to.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Annie on August 17, 2013, 04:57:36 AM
Gurn, could you be a doll and tell me if I can squeeze some post-classical, pre-romantic composers' recordings such as Hummel and Weber into your "personal" classical period thread? I love Hummel's works

Both of those are classical composers, you might consider them part of a transition between classicism and romanticism, but they are classical composers and are fair game for this thread.

Opus106

Quote from: Annie on August 17, 2013, 04:57:36 AM
Gurn, could you be a doll and tell me if I can squeeze some post-classical, pre-romantic composers' recordings such as Hummel and Weber into your "personal" classical period thread? I love Hummel's works

The Corner shall maintain its Sanctity at all costs.

J/K ;)

We have a thread for transition period composers here. At first glance it appears to be a precursor to the Corner, but if Sonic Dave doesn't mind, we could probably rejuvenate and renovate that thread a little. ;) (Although something in the back of my mind tells me that there was another thread on the same topic, but I'm unable to locate it at the moment.) Hummel has his own place as well.

If you're looking for some other composer, you can refer the Composer Index. :)
Regards,
Navneeth