Wagner's Valhalla

Started by Greta, April 07, 2007, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: Elgarian on May 21, 2013, 11:01:56 AM
Yes, it very much looks as though these differences of approach are at the root of the differences in what we can tolerate. I think right from the start the mythology was vying for equal weight with the music, for me - in the sense that the two coming together make for a uniquely satisfying whole. I had one of those perception shifts the moment I encountered CS Lewis's observation that the primary need is not  to understand a myth, but to taste it; immerse oneself in it. That profoundly affected my attitude to myth and folk legend in general, and Wagner in particular. On this approach, it becomes far more important to experience Brunnhilde riding into the funeral pyre than to figure out, rationally, what it might mean. So the trick (at least, for me) is to go for the ride without really thinking too much about 'meaning' or about what I might think of as acceptable normal dramatic activity. I try to surrender to the composite entity of 'myth and music'; and I find I can only do that intermittently in the Copenhagen Ring.

Granted, but we must distinguish between Myth and what, for lack of a better term, I'll call pseudo-Myth.  Myth may not make physical sense but it make psychological sense because it has spent hundreds or thousands of years being filtered through the collective consciousness of a civilization.  Wagner has made up his own Mythology (based on various primary sources) and I'm not entirely comfortable with what he's come up with.  It's hard to come up with a mythology that seems real (like Lord of the Dance Rings) and I tend to think Wagner's made a hash of it.   >:(

Karl Henning

Quote from: Parsifal on May 21, 2013, 12:25:45 PM
. . .  Wagner has made up his own Mythology (based on various primary sources) and I'm not entirely comfortable with what he's come up with.

I affirm your right to discomfort, there (so to speak). I'm no great admirer of RW as a mythographer, either. It may run counter to the composer's wishes, but I admit that I enjoy the Ring partly because I feel at liberty to "discount" the librettist.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2013, 12:40:43 PM
I affirm your right to discomfort, there (so to speak). I'm no great admirer of RW as a mythographer, either. It may run counter to the composer's wishes, but I admit that I enjoy the Ring partly because I feel at liberty to "discount" the librettist.

We are aware that talking about "real Myths" is a bit, err... ironic (at the very least).

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2013, 12:40:43 PM

That brings back a Bruckner anecdote: supposedly he sat through (I believe) Götterdämmerung and at the end asked a fellow member of the audience exactly why Brünnhilde jumped into the fire at the end!

The music, not the drama, apparently held his attention.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Parsifal

Quote from: jlaurson on May 21, 2013, 01:00:01 PM
We are aware that talking about "real Myths" is a bit, err... ironic (at the very least).

From Webster:

Quotea usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon

a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society

There is a difference between an authentic tradition and a "tradition" that was created as a literary device.

Elgarian

Quote from: Parsifal on May 21, 2013, 12:25:45 PM
Granted, but we must distinguish between Myth and what, for lack of a better term, I'll call pseudo-Myth.  Myth may not make physical sense but it make psychological sense because it has spent hundreds or thousands of years being filtered through the collective consciousness of a civilization.  Wagner has made up his own Mythology (based on various primary sources) and I'm not entirely comfortable with what he's come up with.  It's hard to come up with a mythology that seems real (like Lord of the Dance Rings) and I tend to think Wagner's made a hash of it.   >:(

Yes I see how that distinguishing process might be a necessity for you.  But the issue for me is not so much a matter of distinguishing between traditional myth, literary myth, or pseudo-myth - rather, it's a matter of attitude. It's an approach I choose to adopt because I've found it's worked pretty well for a very long time, so I'm in no hurry to change it. The matter isn't about one of us being right about the nature of Wagnerian myth (I don't care whether I'm right about that, or not), but about what enables the most enriching engagement with the music-drama for us, individually; and I think what we're doing here is identifying (partly) why we respond differently to the Copenhagen Ring.

Incidentally, I think I may now understand something that's puzzled me for a while: there's a common notion that certain kinds of Wagnerite are too uncritical; that they deliberately close their eyes to obvious flaws, and so on. I could be 'accused' of being like that myself, but it isn't in fact what I do. It's not wilful blindness (as it may seem), but deliberate acceptance; and the difference is crucial I think (though I may not have expressed it clearly enough).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Cato on May 21, 2013, 01:50:58 PM
That brings back a Bruckner anecdote: supposedly he sat through (I believe) Götterdämmerung and at the end asked a fellow member of the audience exactly why Brünnhilde jumped into the fire at the end!

The music, not the drama, apparently held his attention.

If I'm correct Bruckner was at a performance of Die Walküre. After the curtain fell, he asked: 'Why did they burn that lady?'
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

Unrecorded was the doleful reply: Burning was far and away the best thing for her, all considered....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2013, 02:58:23 AM
Unrecorded was the doleful reply: Burning was far and away the best thing for her, all considered....

;D

And two operas later it happened.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2013, 02:58:23 AM

Which sounds like my mother's opinion, any time I had any kind of opera emanating from my room: "When will they put that woman out of her misery?"  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote"Only Jesus, Napoleon and Hitler have had more written about them," said Manuel Brug, cultural commentator with Die Welt, in an appraisal of the mountain of books published to mark the event.

Well, he sounds awfully sure that not nearly so much has been written about, say, Shakespeare . . . .

Wagner anniversary revives German debate over controversial composer
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I pity even the Wagners. Like the plot of The Ring, there are really no good choices to make.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2013, 04:02:00 AM
Well, he sounds awfully sure that not nearly so much has been written about, say, Shakespeare . . . .

Wagner anniversary revives German debate over controversial composer

I think I get it, though. Comparing Wagner to Shakespeare would be to reduce him to a fellow artist.

Naturally, one compares him instead to God (Jesus) and two egomaniacs who threw the world into turmoil (Napoleon and Hitler).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Happy 200th anniversary Richard! Greatest genius of all time, both in musical and literary sense, if you ask me!

And yes, I am one of those that thinks Wagner's librettos are among the greatest prose of 19th century. Deal with it.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on May 22, 2013, 04:33:46 AM
And yes, I am one of those that thinks Wagner's librettos are among the greatest prose of 19th century. Deal with it.

Easily. You're obviously an eccentric.

I wish you joy of the "greatest prose of the 19th century." (I find it incomparably funny just to type that. Deal with it.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Beorn

He's no Emily Brontë! ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: MN Dave on May 22, 2013, 04:44:11 AM
He's no Emily Brontë! ;)

:-)

I think it was a subtle dig. Wagner fancied he was writing poetry, but Alby here considers it the greatest prose . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Beorn

He's no Elizabeth Browning!

Karl Henning

I love seeing a photo of Harpo "saying" that!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA