New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Praise be! Release date is January 8, 2021. This is the final volume.

vandermolen

This has just been reviewed. I've liked Gregson's orchestral music and might well investigate this CD:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Oct/Gregson-piano-8574222.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: Toccata and Fugue on October 28, 2020, 01:20:04 PM

Thank you for the info! A lot of varied music to explore in that series.

Maestro267

That Sorabji set is probably going to be a 2 or 3-fer, given the last of the Transcendental Studies is about 30-35 minutes by itself.

staxomega

Quote from: Toccata and Fugue on October 28, 2020, 01:20:04 PM

Definitely in for this, thanks for posting it.

kyjo

I don't think this one's been mentioned yet:

[asin]B08HGRZS3R[/asin]

Contains the 1st violin sonata, 1st cello sonata, and 2nd piano trio. Definitely one to look out for!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 29, 2020, 07:48:15 AM
That Sorabji set is probably going to be a 2 or 3-fer, given the last of the Transcendental Studies is about 30-35 minutes by itself.
One of the last Etudes is nearly an hour long! It's a 2-CD set from what I have seen.

Maestro267

Yeah, looking at the approximate timings listed on the (excellent) Sorabji Archive website, most of the rest of Nos. 84-99 are miniatures, none exceeding even 10 minutes.

André

So far nobody seems to have attempted to record the 24 preludes and fugues for piano of Niels Viggo Bentzon. The trouble is, he made 13 series of them (that's 312 p&f), each series lasting an hour.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 10, 2020, 10:11:29 AM

Bach violin sonatas with organ, details here

http://www.encelade.net/index.php/en/hikashop-menu-for-products-listing-2/product/25873-js-bach-trios-for-keyboard-and-violin-by-odile-edouard-and-freddy-eichelberger

Lovely little organ, full of character, I don't know what it is, it's lithe enough to cope with the intricacy of the keyboard music in, for example, 1017/i. Odile Édouard makes a pure tone come out of her fiddle, it's an angel playing. Good recording too, with an ambiance. First impressions are very positive - with one reservation which could turn out to to be a serious problem - the sound seems maybe balanced to the violin part - maybe, I need more time to be sure.  It's may be a Spotify problem.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: André on October 31, 2020, 01:39:22 PM
So far nobody seems to have attempted to record the 24 preludes and fugues for piano of Niels Viggo Bentzon. The trouble is, he made 13 series of them (that's 312 p&f), each series lasting an hour.

I suppose you are aware that he recorded the entire "Det tempererede klaver" himself, yes all 13 series. He was a most accomplished pianist. I own the set, but have only listened to the first three series. It's generally wild-growing quasi improvised music.

Accidentally I came across his second piano sonata played by Rolf Reinhardt. A nice experience. A "German" serious interpretation of the music which makes it weighty and listenable.

Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 31, 2020, 01:55:31 PM
Lovely little organ, full of character, I don't know what it is, it's lithe enough to cope with the intricacy of the keyboard music in, for example, 1017/i. Odile Édouard makes a pure tone come out of her fiddle, it's an angel playing. Good recording too, with an ambiance. First impressions are very positive - with one reservation which could turn out to to be a serious problem - the sound seems maybe balanced to the violin part - maybe, I need more time to be sure.  It's may be a Spotify problem.

I would expect the use of organ to improve the balance, but if the organ is under-balanced it doesn't help. However, how would you compare it to Pierot/Gester?

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 31, 2020, 02:35:07 PM
I suppose you are aware that he recorded the entire "Det tempererede klaver" himself, yes all 13 series. He was a most accomplished pianist. I own the set, but have only listened to the first three series. It's generally wild-growing quasi improvised music.

Accidentally I came across his second piano sonata played by Rolf Reinhardt. A nice experience. A "German" serious interpretation of the music which makes it weighty and listenable.

I didn't know he had recorded them ! I suppose that distribution of this release must be quite limited. Certainly a collector's item  :o.

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on October 31, 2020, 03:04:38 PM
I didn't know he had recorded them ! I suppose that distribution of this release must be quite limited. Certainly a collector's item  :o.

It's fairly commonly seen here in DK, also at second-hand sales. In general, I think the works of his earlier decades have a reputation for being more thought-through and well-crafted, say the first 200 opuses ... the early Passacaglia op.31 for piano, recorded on Odeon LP by Bengt Johnson, really needs a CD release, for example.

prémont

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 31, 2020, 03:28:08 PM
It's fairly commonly seen here in DK, also at second-hand sales. In general, I think the works of his earlier decades have a reputation for being more thought-through and well-crafted, say the first 200 opuses ... the early Passacaglia op.31 for piano, recorded on Odeon LP by Bengt Johnson, really needs a CD release, for example.

As far as I know the first series, which he recorded for Fona LP ca 1970, didn't make it to CD, and the complete 13 series he later made for Classico didn't include the older recording, but contained a new recording of the first series. Maybe you can confirm or correct this.

André

Interesting, thanks for that.

Last week I listened to his symphonies 5 and 7 multiple times. I was particularly fascinated by no 5. I have 2 other Dacapo discs of his symphonic music that I should revisit. But no piano or chamber music. He composed more works than WAM... ???

Brian

Quote from: André on October 31, 2020, 01:39:22 PM
How did he have time for anything else?!

MusicTurner

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 31, 2020, 03:37:14 PM
As far as I know the first series, which he recorded for Fona LP ca 1970, didn't make it to CD, and the complete 13 series he later made for Classico didn't include the older recording, but contained a new recording of the first series. Maybe you can confirm or correct this.

I'm pretty sure it is a new set.
The old Fona LP recording is extremely rare, I've never seen it, through decades of collecting, whereas you quite often see his other LPs of Beethoven sonatas, or his own selected sonatas and piano works, Scriabin+Reger, etc.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 31, 2020, 02:40:14 PM
I would expect the use of organ to improve the balance, but if the organ is under-balanced it doesn't help. However, how would you compare it to Pierot/Gester?

No it's a speaker thing I think, it sounds better balanced on my big system and with fresh ears this morning.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen