New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on March 02, 2024, 07:06:32 AM@AnotherSpin I think part of the reason I reacted like that is the tempo of the first few variations. She seemed to take them at roughly the same tempo as the arietta - which I think is come è scritto. Schnabel speeded the pulse up in the first couple of variations, and I think that's a good idea.

Also I think she's inclined to be a bit rigid in the pulse department, metronomic.

But organologically it's interesting @premont, though whether she's got the skills to get the most out of the piano is another question. And my comments are on the basis of just one listening to one of the three sonatas, so I could well be doing her a disservice.

I listened to 111, 109 and 110 yesterday. I had a feeling that some of her decisions don't sound justified enough, and yet it was impossible to stop listening. Further more. After Jin Ju I listened for the comparison 110 performed by Lucchesini, Pienaar and Gulda. Each of these three performances did not sound as convincing as before.

Todd

DG's newest wunderkind's first release.

Mentioned earlier by Brian, here's the cover art.  Very exciting.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on March 02, 2024, 12:50:22 PM

DG's newest wunderkind's first release.

Kind seems rather literal here. What's wunderbar about him?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roy Bland

Brian

Warner's spring big box releases will be

Pappano - Compl. Santa Cecilia Symphonic, Concertante & Sacred Music Recordings (27CD)

and

and

(If they ever reach North America is another story... [glares at the Leif Ove Andsnes box])

Amazon's Sawallisch listing includes complete contents.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 03, 2024, 07:26:18 AM(If they ever reach North America is another story... [glares at the Leif Ove Andsnes box])

JBS

Quote from: Brian on March 03, 2024, 07:26:18 AMWarner's spring big box releases will be

Pappano - Compl. Santa Cecilia Symphonic, Concertante & Sacred Music Recordings (27CD)

and

and

(If they ever reach North America is another story... [glares at the Leif Ove Andsnes box])

Amazon's Sawallisch listing includes complete contents.

Also the Lars Vogt set.
Amazon now gives a release date of 15 March, but given the fact they've delayed the date every time a release date comes up, I am not sanguine.

They are in fact available via UK and EU vendors, if you're willing to pay $30-40 more than the price Amazon is offering.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

Quote from: Que on March 03, 2024, 11:35:18 AM

Sonatas Op. 2, nos 1-3, on a fortepiano by Johannes Schantz, Vienna c.1790.

I think you have the wrong image then, I've had that box set for awhile now.  Not a new release. ???

Que

Quote from: DavidW on March 03, 2024, 01:32:32 PMI think you have the wrong image then, I've had that box set for awhile now.  Not a new release. ???

Not the wrong image but rather the wrong thread... Oops...  ;D

Mandryka

Quote from: JBS on March 02, 2024, 04:02:38 PMKind seems rather literal here. What's wunderbar about him?

One of the worst Mozart performances I have ever heard -- though it's true he plays the right notes in the right order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQeuoianKKc&ab_channel=JULIUSASAL
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Brian on March 03, 2024, 07:26:18 AMWarner's spring big box releases will be

Brian

LATE APRIL FROM NAXOS
(omitting things people have already posted)

Symphony mono (1954), Book stereo (1962)

Ravel - Valses nobles et sentimentales
Shostakovich - Puppentänze
Widmann - Zirkustänze
Ravel - La valse

85, 62, 50

Anna Fedorova just finished a Rachmaninov concerto cycle on Channel Classics, but Brilliant is capitalizing on her new fame to issue these 2014 recordings that it has rights to.

Roy Bland

not a recent release however interesting

Todd

Todd

I certainly hope a veritable flood of live recordings hits the market.

The Schuchs, the Baxes, and Ancelle & Berlinskaya all have new releases this year.  A nice trend.

Roy Bland

Todd

43 discs.

Who knows if this set gets completed on Chandos?  And while Haydn is obviously the draw, check out that contemporary composer pairing.

The friends include Beatrice Rana and Nicholas Angelich.

Classical music math: Dumont + Faure = Good stuff

Will take.

Keep 'em coming.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 09, 2024, 05:36:37 AM

This should be very good but it's highly unusual to have Goyescas split and frankly I don't see the reason behind it.  ???
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2024, 06:08:42 AMThis should be very good but it's highly unusual to have Goyescas split and frankly I don't see the reason behind it.  ???

Really?  You don't see the reason?  It's blindingly obvious.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 09, 2024, 06:19:43 AMReally?  You don't see the reason?  It's blindingly obvious.

Otomh I can't think of any other pianist who has Goyescas split over two discs.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy