New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

There's a relatively long (or at least verbose) Wikipedia page for Reinvere
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCri_Reinvere

Regarding the Paul Wee CD..I assume Henselt is Fanny M. But who is Bronsart?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on April 02, 2024, 06:56:31 PMThere's a relatively long (or at least verbose) Wikipedia page for Reinvere
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCri_Reinvere

Regarding the Paul Wee CD..I assume Henselt is Fanny M. But who is Bronsart?
Adolph von Henselt actually. And Hans Bronsart von Schellendorf. The former's concerto was apparently a huge romantic smash up through the 20s, when it dropped out of the repertoire and has been recorded only by Ponti, Lewenthal, and Hamelin. Clara gave the premiere as he had ended his playing career due to severe stage fright. The latter composer gave the premiere of Liszt PC2.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2024, 05:35:14 PM

Most intriguing.

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2024, 05:35:14 PM"Jüri Reinvere knows how to write music as intense as the scent of seaweed, the sultriness of a summer's night, but also with the sweat of fear in anticipation of death. He powerfully grips his listeners and does not let them go until they have experienced stories of passion and exhaustion, dreamlike beauty and nightmarish catastrophes, of longing, ecstasy and realisation."

LLM generated hyperbole?  It's gibberishy enough.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Todd on April 03, 2024, 04:21:33 AMMost intriguing.

LLM generated hyperbole?  It's gibberishy enough.

"Time, shaped dramaturgically, enables the listener to develop listening expectations while simultaneously confronting him with the unforeseen"

Another quote from the Wiki article..... curiously I said exactly this to my hairdresser just the other day. 

Todd

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 03, 2024, 05:09:29 AMAnother quote from the Wiki article..... curiously I said exactly this to my hairdresser just the other day.

Dramaturgically shaped time is a hot topic.  That, and Taylor Swift 

Todd

Chamayou's a busy guy.

Tetzloff kinda looks like Sam Morril's younger brother.

The ugly, obtrusive font trend must stop.

Lewis' Schubert all boxed up and priced to move.  It's his best stuff to date, and he's even better in person in this repertoire.

JBS

Quote from: Todd on April 05, 2024, 02:01:01 PM

Chamayou's a busy guy.

Tetzloff kinda looks like Sam Morril's younger brother.

The ugly, obtrusive font trend must stop.

Lewis' Schubert all boxed up and priced to move.  It's his best stuff to date, and he's even better in person in this repertoire.
The Beethoven Triple Concerto and Violin Concerto CDs--will they have couplings, or just relatively short run times?

Shani's Bruckner 7 was decent but not outstanding.

You're quite right about the font.

T. D.

Not clear what that Chamayou Cage^2 album is. Superscript implies number pieces, but he's holding a screw which implies prepared piano.

I found this listing for an upcoming Philharmonie de Paris concert (listed at 1 hr 30 min) https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/activity/spectacle/26232-cage2:

Conceived and performed by pianist Bertrand Chamayou and choreographer Élodie Sicard, Cage² pays tribute to composer John Cage through a series of twelve pieces for prepared piano. Their interaction on stage offers a magical alchemy between music and dance.

So maybe it's a selection of Cage prepared piano pieces. Conceivably even non-Cage compositions, but no composer listed on the above site.

I'd be much more interested in number pieces than prepared piano.

Atriod

Quote from: T. D. on April 05, 2024, 07:17:15 PMNot clear what that Chamayou Cage^2 album is. Superscript implies number pieces, but he's holding a screw which implies prepared piano.

I found this listing for an upcoming Philharmonie de Paris concert (listed at 1 hr 30 min) https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/activity/spectacle/26232-cage2:

Conceived and performed by pianist Bertrand Chamayou and choreographer Élodie Sicard, Cage² pays tribute to composer John Cage through a series of twelve pieces for prepared piano. Their interaction on stage offers a magical alchemy between music and dance.

So maybe it's a selection of Cage prepared piano pieces. Conceivably even non-Cage compositions, but no composer listed on the above site.

I'd be much more interested in number pieces than prepared piano.

I never thought of the screw as representing a prepared piano. I thought it was an artistic depiction of a cigarette and assumed it was for Two^2 which would have made it one of my most anticipated releases of '24, but what you've written makes me less excited. Two^2 before or after Música callada has been one of my favorite ways to program it.

T. D.

Quote from: Atriod on April 07, 2024, 03:11:12 AMI never thought of the screw as representing a prepared piano. I thought it was an artistic depiction of a cigarette and assumed it was for Two^2 which would have made it one of my most anticipated releases of '24, but what you've written makes me less excited. Two^2 before or after Música callada has been one of my favorite ways to program it.

I was hoping for a Two^2 recording! Not interested in a prepared piano album, frankly, though the indicated music/dance event could be interesting.

Madiel

Quote from: DaveF on March 30, 2024, 12:49:06 AMYou gave me a copy of that one!  Good disc, and not far from my ideal of female beauty either.  If I were more appreciative of male beauty, I'm sure the chap on the new Beauty Farm disc would do it for me too.

As a person who is appreciative of male beauty, the new Beauty Farm disc ain't doing that much for me. I only said it was good by Beauty Farm standards.

That's such a low bar, you need to really concentrate on tripping over it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Eloquence A&R folks have it in for my wallet.

Atriod

Quote from: T. D. on April 07, 2024, 10:45:06 AMI was hoping for a Two^2 recording! Not interested in a prepared piano album, frankly, though the indicated music/dance event could be interesting.

I am fine with prepared piano, I just find a lot of Cage's early to mid piano music not that great. But I've only heard Steffen Schleiermacher, maybe a world class pianist like Chamayou could change my mind.

Atriod

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: T. D. on March 27, 2024, 07:44:23 PMThe Warner Sawallisch box, going by the title, has no operas, which is a pity because his excellent Capriccio (originally on Decca) appears to fall under the Warner umbrella. The Philips/DG has operas, which is nice.

How does a Decca recording end up on Warner?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on April 05, 2024, 05:58:14 PMThe Beethoven Triple Concerto and Violin Concerto CDs--will they have couplings, or just relatively short run times?

Shani's Bruckner 7 was decent but not outstanding.

You're quite right about the font.
How do you find Danny Elfman's classical compositions to be?  I've only ever heard his music for films (which I quite enjoy).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 03:50:47 AMHow do you find Danny Elfman's classical compositions to be?  I've only ever heard his music for films (which I quite enjoy).

PD

Wrong person to ask. I don't think I've heard any non-movie music by him.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on April 12, 2024, 04:34:32 AMWrong person to ask. I don't think I've heard any non-movie music by him.
Ah, my goof!  I see that @Todd was the one who had mentioned the new release.

Todd,

How do you find Danny Elfman's classical compositions to be?  I've only ever heard his music for films (which I quite enjoy).  Have you heard any of it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2024, 03:50:47 AMHow do you find Danny Elfman's classical compositions to be?  I've only ever heard his music for films (which I quite enjoy).

PD

You'll like it.  It's more complex, manic, and structured than his film music but you can tell it's the same creative mind.  He's a very creative musician with ideas bursting over.  He's very big in to percussion, sometimes starting his first ideas with a rhythm before adding a melody over it so I'll imagine this is a very interesting work.