New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2021, 12:38:35 AM

Beautiful stuff here - Charles Magraner is the new Jordi! Same work ethic, same polish and knack for popularisation.

I own a dozen of Magraner's CDs. I have to admit, that I prefer Jordi.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Mandryka

This is one I really enjoyed -- played it frequently

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 08, 2021, 02:38:58 AM
In this recording it's of course the  splendid Antegnati 1565 organ in the Palatine Basilica of Santa Barbara in Mantua, which is the primary interest. And it is very well recorded. But also Ivanas contribution is rather satisfying, so I have enjoyed this CD a lot.

Her Bach/Buxtehude CD I find rather uninspiring/uninspired, and other than thatI own her Girolamo Cavazzoni set on the same Antegnati organ, but haven't managed to listen to it yet.

My impression was based on the Cavazzoni set, which left me unsatisfied with the result. But the Antagnati organ is a big draw of course, and I take your impression to mind and order it.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Ah I was planning on listening to the Cavazzoni later!

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on February 08, 2021, 12:42:52 AM
I have a few recordings with this organist, which leaves doubt with me, about her musical stance.

On the basis of three or four pieces from the Cavazzoni disque, the articulation and the hesitations are very striking, is that why you had reservations, Harry?

prémont

Concerning Ivana Valotti I have now listened to her Cavazzoni CD I, and I find the manner in which she struggles her way through this music (which from a technical point of view isn't that complicated) striking. It is as if the hyper-detached playing and the many irregular hesitations aren't a result of musical considerations but are caused by technical shortcomings of the player. Accordingly there is a nervous and hectic air to the playing, which I find wearisome. It is also striking how much better her Frescobaldi CD on the same organ is, so it is probably not an organ with very heavy action, what the Cavazzoni recording might make one believe. The main attraction of the Cavazzoni CDs remains the organ.

I own Sergio Vartolo's recording of some of these Cavazzoni works and shall listen to him to morrow. There is also Richard Lesters recording of one of the masses.

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 08, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
Concerning Ivana Valotti I have now listened to her Cavazzoni CD I, and I find the manner in which she struggles her way through this music (which from a technical point of view isn't that complicated) striking. It is as if the hyper-detached playing and the many irregular hesitations aren't a result of musical considerations but are caused by technical shortcomings of the player. Accordingly there is a nervous and hectic air to the playing, which I find wearisome. It is also striking how much better her Frescobaldi CD on the same organ is, so it is probably not an organ with very heavy action, what the Cavazzoni recording might make one believe. The main attraction of the Cavazzoni CDs remains the organ.

I own Sergio Vartolo's recording of some of these Cavazzoni works and shall listen to him to morrow. There is also Richard Lesters recording of one of the masses.

Tamminga did a Cavazzoni recording (which I haven't heard):

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on February 08, 2021, 12:34:46 PM
Tamminga did a Cavazzoni recording (which I haven't heard):

Q

Yes, you are right. I own this too, but forgot about it.

Mandryka

Yes and it made me think that there must be a reason she plays the Cavazzoni like that, given that she plays the Frescobaldi so differently. But in the notes, which are good, I found nothing about this.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2021, 11:16:48 AM
On the basis of three or four pieces from the Cavazzoni disque, the articulation and the hesitations are very striking, is that why you had reservations, Harry?

Yes indeed!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 08, 2021, 12:43:28 PM
Yes, you are right. I own this too, but forgot about it.

I guess it didn't make a lasting impression!

Mandryka

Love Vartolo's recording of Bk 2. He makes it sound like a real summit of Italian organ masses.

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on February 08, 2021, 01:26:48 PM
Yes indeed!

Well it looks like we're all in agreement about this CD!

Mandryka

Good essay by John Potter in the booklet. I like this very much as I liked Heringman's first Josquin recording. Includes Heringman's own intabulation of the Salva Regina and others.

Roy Bland

Brian

Whoa, this is interesting: Lowell Liebermann plays Lowell Liebermann.

CD 1
Liebermann - Gargoyles (11')
Kabelac - 8 Preludes (25')
Liszt - Totentanz (16')

CD 2
Liebermann - Four Apparitions (12')
Schubert - Huttenbrunner variations D 576 (15')
Busoni - Fantasia contrappuntistica (32')
Liebermann - Nocturne No 10 (6')

From the performer:
"Personal Demons consists of music that I have been personally haunted by - pieces by other composers that have preoccupied and inspired me for most of my compositional career, ones that 'I wish I wrote.'" He says he found the score to the Kabelac work in the $1 bin at the Juilliard School bookstore.

-
EDIT

We also have some more info on the Ecuadorian symphonies of Luis Salgado. Looks like he really liked adding descriptive subtitles.

Roy Bland

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 12, 2021, 06:38:02 AM

Excellent, wonderful, beautiful, you're a star, a hero, an angel, a God.

Symphonic Addict

Great cover art on the Rubinstein.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky