New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Brian on May 04, 2024, 03:21:20 PM

82' and on "period instruments" (so they're all only 100 years old?)

CPE Bach - Symphony in D, Wq 183 No 1
CPE Bach - Concerto for Harpsichord and Fortepiano
Mozart - Divertimento in F, K 138
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 17, K 453

(Mozart was 28 when he wrote that last piece, so I'm not sure why it's on there...but Melnikov takes solo duties)

Details on both of these.

On the Mahler:
- the disc is split into 30 tracks (!)
- for extra authenticity, it's recorded in the town where Mahler wrote it

"Mahler ordered the replacement of every instrument belonging to the Vienna Philharmonic during his time as director of the Vienna Court Opera. Thanks to the letters concerning these purchases that have been published by Beatrix Darmstädter, we have been able to bring together Mahler's instruments from every part of the world and to use them for this recording. They differ from today's instruments in many details: materials, mechanics and bores of the wind instruments were different, string players used gut strings and wooden mutes.

"Wind instruments played completely without vibrato in Vienna at that time, while the strings used vibrato very sparingly and only in selected places. Bowing was different because of the use of gut strings and changes of position — similar to vocal portamento — were clearly audible. Tempo in general was flexible and the so-called tempo rubato, in which musicians altered rhythm and tempofor expressive purposes, was an important means of expression.

"The musicologist Clive Brown generously shared his inexhaustible expertise in learning the playing techniques of the time with us; other valuable sources of information were the earliest recordings made by musicians who appreciated Mahler and the orchestral score of the Ninth that belonged to the Mahler conductor Willem Mengelberg."

And here is the explanation, such as it is, for why the Mozart/CPE Bach album is called "Young & Foolish":

"Around the middle of the 18th century, the end of the Baroque musical era signalled the emergence of a new way of composing, perceptible in the works and writings of composers such as Rousseau, Geminiani, Bach's sons, Haydn and Mozart – all on the quest after musical innovation. In this context, the 'older' CPE Bach was exploring the possibility of making the instruments speak, animated by suddenly changing emotions: a scientific experiment that would be a reference point for succeeding generations of composers. Mozart, young and gifted with an unequalled talent, and capable of the greatest musical extravagance, would become a model, an exemplar of the highest artistic perfection.

"One can readily imagine them, the young man and the old, crafting the history of music and of art, this
quintessentially human activity, with the enthusiasm of reckless youth: young & foolish."

Holden

Quote from: Atriod on May 10, 2024, 05:28:19 AMComing from Eloquence Australia:

Rafael Orozco - Complete Philips Recordings
Rudolf Firkušný Edition

No further details on which Universal owned labels the Firkušný box will contain, hopefully all of them. His Sony box is one of my most played Sony piano boxes. Orozco will be an easy purchase as well based off his Rach Concerti, Iberia, Chopin Preludes, and Brahms.

Maybe not the Chopin Preludes as they were recorded for EMI but you never know with labels nowadays.
Cheers

Holden

Roasted Swan

A stunning new release by coloratura soprano Erin Morley.  She has a remarkable voice - flexible, beautiful and with an amazing range - comfortable up to an E 2 octaves+ above middle C.  But even more remarkable perhaps is the programme.  When did you last see Saint-Saens, Berg, Milhaud, Rachmaninov, Zemlinsky, Brahms, Sullivan and Ivor Novello(!) on the same recital programme - and it works beautifully.  Big big cheer for Ms Morley!!

Brian

just spotted some more JUNE stuff:

Interesting that this comes just after a DG pianist combines Scarlatti and Scriabin.

Five acts in less than two hours!

Brian

Two complete quartet cycles included in here

Roy Bland

IMHO it would have been a more rational choice for naxos to group Petridis' symphonies and oratorios into separate disc sets

Bachtoven

May 24th

June 7th

June 14th.

Also June 14th.
Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Atriod

Quote from: Holden on May 11, 2024, 01:00:25 PMMaybe not the Chopin Preludes as they were recorded for EMI but you never know with labels nowadays.

What I meant was based on the high quality of performances I heard from him before (three that won't be included, as you say the Chopin Preludes, Brahms, and Iberia) that it's highly likely I'll buy that box.

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 16, 2024, 11:50:40 AMMay 25th

An instance where the composer's own recording has ruined all others for me. But I will definitely stream it.

Brian

some JULY releases are starting to appear on Presto

Bruckner 7 timings
21:32
22:34
10:21
12:17

Bates piece 10:56

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/48/000170784.pdf

Nice organ, and not at all like the Spanish Inquisition - to judge from the first track, a Tiento.

Listened a bit more - very lyrical and meditative, more like what I expect to hear in Arauxo. I think the sound's a bit funny, there's either some low noise sometimes (maybe part of the organ) or the image is poor - I don't think it's my system (which seems to be fine on Cea's recording now.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2024, 01:21:12 PM

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/48/000170784.pdf

Nice organ, and not at all like the Spanish Inquisition - to judge from the first track, a Tiento.

Listened a bit more - very lyrical and meditative, more like what I expect to hear in Arauxo. I think the sound's a bit funny, there's either some low noise sometimes (maybe part of the organ) or the image is poor - I don't think it's my system (which seems to be fine on Cea's recording now.)

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition

prémont

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 22, 2024, 07:38:37 AMNOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition

Are you not familiar with Claudio Astronio, whose interpretation is so rigorous that it nearly evokes the Spanish Inquisition.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Roasted Swan

Florestan

The Spanish Inquisition is hugely overrated.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

13 CDs and an original essay by Boulez reprinted in the booklet from the original notes

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 22, 2024, 11:21:33 AM

13 CDs and an original essay by Boulez reprinted in the booklet from the original notes

A great set for anyone getting into Schoenberg for the first-time. Boulez was my gateway into Schoenberg's music. I'd buy the set if I didn't already own them all in his Complete Columbia Recordings box set that has been OOP for so long now.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Brian on May 22, 2024, 11:21:33 AM

Cool, that Boulez' box set includes some of the best recordings of Schönberg's works! It was about time they did something for the composer's 150th anniversary.....
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg