Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Octave on March 12, 2013, 09:32:44 PM
The Bis recordings are fine.  What is wrong with them?  Didn't you just say, a few times or more, that you just didn't dig Holmboe?  Maybe, um, you just don't dig Holmboe, or his symphonies.  C'est tout.  Nothing needs to be settled.  The Bis recordings are fine.

Yes, but perhaps another perspective would offer a more ear-opening experience for the listeners who remain in doubt? More performances offer new avenues into the music.

Octave

I was over-hasty with that retort of mine, which was needlessly tetchy; pardon me.  It is erased now.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Octave on March 12, 2013, 10:41:33 PM
I was over-hasty with that retort of mine, which was needlessly tetchy; pardon me.  It is erased now.

No problem, Octave. All is forgotten.

Madiel

I think it's fairly hard to know whether it's the performers or the composer who isn't doing it for you unless you somehow hear a bit more of the composer's other works.  Personally, for example, I've now heard enough Liszt to conclude that the mildness of my response to Liszt is because of Liszt rather than the people performing his work.  He's just not really my kind of composer.  It's perfectly possible Holmboe just isn't your kind of composer.

If you want a relatively direct comparison with the Symphonies, you might try the fairly recent recording of the 3 Chamber Symphonies.  They don't sound especially 'chamber' in scale at times, especially no.2.  It's also an SACD recording so the sound quality should be top notch.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

In other news... I'm still working through the box of the string quartets, and have just listened to Quartet No.15 for the first time.

I'm not usually one to jump to extra-musical conclusions, but the very first impression I had was "we are much closer to Shostakovich than we normally are".  And given the numbering, the fact that it's the first post-Shostakovich quartet he wrote (well, it appears he may have been in the process of finishing off No.14 when Shostakovich died, so the first quartet conceived post-Shostakovich) and that it has a movement marked Funebre, I feel that the impression isn't coincidence.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 12, 2013, 08:55:37 PM
The symphonies definitely need to be recorded again as the BIS cycle is far from flattering. Maybe Dacapo could offer better performances?

Alternative recordings are always welcome. But I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the BIS cycle, apart from some details  (e.g. the choir in the Sinfonia Sacra). Most instalments in the series were widely praised by reviewers in the time, and I myself had a similar experience: almost all of these performances are very fine indeed. I happen to know that Vagn Holmboe himself was of a similar opinion, as he told me so when I met him in 1995 (whth the just finished Symphony No. 13, dedicated to the conductor, lying on the piano). He was absolutely grateful for Owain Arwel Hughes for what he had accomplished (the cycle wasn't completed yet).  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on March 16, 2013, 01:58:40 AM
Alternative recordings are always welcome. But I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the BIS cycle, apart from some details  (e.g. the choir in the Sinfonia Sacra).

+ 1

And, lawd, how good that string quartet survey is!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Leo K.

Alternative recordings are always welcome. But I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the BIS cycle, apart from some details  (e.g. the choir in the Sinfonia Sacra). Most instalments in the series were widely praised by reviewers in the time, and I myself had a similar experience: almost all of these performances are very fine indeed. I happen to know that Vagn Holmboe himself was of a similar opinion, as he told me so when I met him in 1995 (whth the just finished Symphony No. 13, dedicated to the conductor, lying on the piano). He was absolutely grateful for Owain Arwel Hughes for what he had accomplished (the cycle wasn't completed yet).  :)

I just got the BIS cycle and I'm looking forward to it soon. I've never heard of Holmboe until recently!

Madiel

Thought I'd let people know, I've been updating the Wikipedia list of Holmboe's compositions using the 1996 version of the catalogue.  Which it turns out was not prepared in response to Holmboe's death, but pre-dated it.

Still, it should be as near as complete as possible.  Personally I find it helpful now that some works without opus numbers are getting recorded (concerto for orchestra, folksong arrangements for recorder and guitar).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Initially I misread this and thought that Owain Arwel Hughes was lying on the piano!  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

I don't think it's the first I've listened to it . . . listening to the Tenth Symphony this morning, and it's just flat-out great music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on April 08, 2013, 06:12:44 AM
I don't think it's the first I've listened to it . . . listening to the Tenth Symphony this morning, and it's just flat-out great music.

That is one I've appreciated more and more over time.  Along with the 9th.

Having got to the end of the string quartet box (not listening in order, and interspersed with listening to all the other new purchases from the same period last year), I've gone slightly Holmboe-mad and have decided to listen to all 20 completed/numbered quartets this month, in order.  Plus other pieces occasionally.

Karl Henning

Love the quartets, probably even more than the symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on April 08, 2013, 06:23:23 AM

Indeed, I've noted your praise for the Kontra Quartet set.  And Holmboe is a natural fit for the contrapuntal lines of quartet writing.

I'm up to quartet no.6, now, which is markedly tougher than the ones before it.  Holmboe's 1960s music really does seem to be thornier than either before or after.

The only thing that really bugs me about those recordings, so far, is that the last movement of quartet no.2 is apparently supposed to be 'allegro molto e leggiero'.  It doesn't come across to me as very 'leggiero' at all.

Karl Henning

Some pieces, as a performer (or as a performing ensemble) you need to "live with" over time to make your way into all the aspects of the music.  The Kontras overall do a fine job, but that may have been one item of unfinished business, residual to "getting the job done," of the entire set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: orfeo on April 08, 2013, 06:40:51 AM
Indeed, I've noted your praise for the Kontra Quartet set.  And Holmboe is a natural fit for the contrapuntal lines of quartet writing.

I'm up to quartet no.6, now, which is markedly tougher than the ones before it.  Holmboe's 1960s music really does seem to be thornier than either before or after.

The only thing that really bugs me about those recordings, so far, is that the last movement of quartet no.2 is apparently supposed to be 'allegro molto e leggiero'.  It doesn't come across to me as very 'leggiero' at all.

I predict you will be wearied by the end. See if 13-15 aren't the best of the lot.

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on April 08, 2013, 07:22:22 AM
I predict you will be wearied by the end.

Oh, I don't know; I find them all rather energizing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on April 08, 2013, 06:23:23 AM
That is what I have concluded as well.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Madiel

Quote from: snyprrr on April 08, 2013, 07:22:22 AM
I predict you will be wearied by the end. See if 13-15 aren't the best of the lot.

Well I already know I particularly loved 13 and 14 the first time around. But as I only listened to 17-20 a couple of weeks ago I already know I like them as well. Especially 17.