Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: edward on April 28, 2007, 05:41:46 AM
Which transfers were used on the Regis issue? (That's the one I have, and I assume they didn't transfer it themselves.)

Edward,
By chance (fingers crossed) do you have samples of both the Regis and the Pearl to compare the two?  That would be a most helpful comparison for myself.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: edward on April 28, 2007, 05:41:46 AM
Which transfers were used on the Regis issue? (That's the one I have, and I assume they didn't transfer it themselves.)

I think its Nuovo Era.

not edward

Quote from: Bill on April 28, 2007, 05:43:55 AM
Edward,
By chance (fingers crossed) do you have samples of both the Regis and the Pearl to compare the two?  That would be a most helpful comparison for myself.
Sorry, I don't have the Pearl.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Wanderer

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?  Most "influential" works?

Beethoven managed to produce at least one masterpiece in every genre, pushing boundaries and becoming a paragon for his successors.I could single out Missa Solemnis as the most monumental of his creations and a particular favourite of mine.

2. What are your favorite works by Beethoven?  Least favorite?

Great favourites of mine are the Missa Solemnis (and the often maligned Mass in C), all the symphonies (especially nos.3, 5, 6, 9), piano concertos nos.4 & 5, violin concerto, many piano sonatas ("Waldstein", op.101, etc), choral fantasia, violin sonatas nos.5, 9 & 10, the cello sonatas, "Archduke" trio, overtures (especially "Die Weihe des Hauses")...and I don't really dislike anything.

3. Do you feel that Beethoven's personal challenges (deafness; nephew issues; etc) considerably heightened the emotional content of his music?

One can only guess and I won't.

4. Any favorite recordings?  Of Symphonies? Piano Sonatas? Concertos?  Chamber?  Overtures?

Off the top of my head:
Symphonies: Abbado DVD cycle.
Piano Sonatas: Gilels & Gulda.
Concertos: Pollini, Gilels and a number of others.
Chamber: Argerich/Kremer (violin sonatas) and Argerich/Maisky (cello sonatas)

BachQ

Quote from: Wanderer on April 30, 2007, 05:23:53 AM

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?  Most "influential" works?

Beethoven managed to produce at least one masterpiece in every genre, pushing boundaries and becoming a paragon for his successors.I could single out Missa Solemnis as the most monumental of his creations and a particular favourite of mine.

4. Any favorite recordings?  Of Symphonies? Piano Sonatas? Concertos?  Chamber?  Overtures?

Off the top of my head:
Symphonies: Abbado DVD cycle.
Piano Sonatas: Gilels & Gulda.
Concertos: Pollini, Gilels and a number of others.
Chamber: Argerich/Kremer (violin sonatas) and Argerich/Maisky (cello sonatas)

Any favored recordings of Missa Solemnis?

BachQ

Quote from: Wanderer on April 30, 2007, 05:23:53 AM
and I don't really dislike anything.

Probably the only composition that I really "dislike" is the remaking of the violin concerto as a piano concerto.  I understand why Beethoven did it, but he should have burned the score . . . . . . .  :D

Wanderer

Quote from: D Minor on April 30, 2007, 10:09:22 AM
Any favored recordings of Missa Solemnis?

For the time being, Levine and Karajan (the 1958 version on Testament). I'd like to hear Harnoncourt's version.

Quote from: D Minor on April 30, 2007, 10:11:11 AM
Probably the only composition that I really "dislike" is the remaking of the violin concerto as a piano concerto.  I understand why Beethoven did it, but he should have burned the score . . . . . . .  :D

The first movement cadenza of Beethoven's piano transcription (piano & timpani!) is a delight, though. Kremer has used it (in a transcription for violin, piano & timpani) in his own recording with Harnoncourt.

karlhenning

QuoteBeethoven's Bistro

Would you like Für Elise with that?

8)

PerfectWagnerite

I dislike Wellington's Victory, and I don't think I am in the minority.

hornteacher

There's a remake of the VC as a CLARINET concerto that is actually quite good.  Couldn't imagine it as a piano concerto though.

hornteacher

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 30, 2007, 12:04:15 PM

I'm not a big fan of that one either, but ironically, it was a huge hit when first performed.

Bogey

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 30, 2007, 12:04:15 PM
Quote from: hornteacher on April 30, 2007, 01:05:51 PM
I'm not a big fan of that one either, but ironically, it was a huge hit when first performed.

Agreed.  Great title, and usually cool cover art on the cd....but that is where it ends for me.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Quote from: Wanderer on April 30, 2007, 11:42:23 AM
The first movement cadenza of the piano transcription (piano & timpani!) is a delight, though. Kremer has used it (in a transcription for violin, piano & timpani) in his own recording with Harnoncourt.

Very interesting.  8)  A cadenza comprising a violin, piano, and timpani trio!

karlhenning

Quote from: Wanderer on April 30, 2007, 11:42:23 AM
The first movement cadenza of the piano transcription (piano & timpani!) is a delight, though. Kremer has used it (in a transcription for violin, piano & timpani) in his own recording with Harnoncourt.

Harnoncourt wouldn't go for the Schnittke cadenze, eh?  8)

BachQ

Quote from: hornteacher on April 30, 2007, 01:05:51 PM

Yeah, it was an enormous crowd-pleaser back in 1813 (when it premiered alongside his Seventh Symphony).

BachQ

Quote from: hornteacher on April 30, 2007, 01:04:33 PM
There's a remake of the VC as a CLARINET concerto that is actually quite good.  Couldn't imagine it as a piano concerto though.

Fascinating.  Here it is:

Wanderer

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 11:06:20 AM
Very interesting.  8)  A cadenza comprising a violin, piano, and timpani trio!
A fascinating listen. The effect is similar in principle to Liszt's use of the triangle in his first piano concerto.

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2007, 11:07:57 AM
Harnoncourt wouldn't go for the Schnittke cadenze, eh?  8)

Is there such a cadenza? Is it recorded?  8)

Maciek

I'm not sure if it's been recorded (Kremer must surely have done that?) but a while back someone posted a performance with the Schnittke cadenza in the Broadcast Corner thread - maybe it's still up?

hornteacher

Bogey

A lot of discussion about Kempff's Beethoven on the Listening Thread that was very interesting, so thought I would try to fire it up here so it will not get buried in the upcoming weeks.

Folks,
Out of all the cycles, and for that matter, incomplete cycles, what recordings of the sonatas would you say are the most "slow" or methodical, if the later is a better term?  And I am talking the speed where while you are listening you are physically trying to nudge the performer along without success.  Would the Kempff stereo works be one of these?