Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Beethoven's violin sonatas are rather underrated if compared with others combinations of forces or forms. I'm listening to the No. 4 in A minor, Op. 23. The 1st movement alone is a mini-masterpiece. Expert craftsmanship. It's also interesting because of its unexpected soft ending (so are in the other movements). A touch of genius. Sublime music sublimely played, btw!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

During the Queen's funeral today a rather imposing march was played (several times). The announcer said that it was the 'Funeral March No.1' by Beethoven. However, there are other suggestions that it was composed by Johann Heinrich Walch or possibly Walch's arrangement of Beethoven's march. Any clarification please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF71TKKgcwY
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

This from Classic FM
https://amp.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/walch-funeral-march-royal-family-remembrance-sunday/

Walch's connection to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha suggests it came to the UK via Prince Albert.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 19, 2022, 06:32:41 PM
This from Classic FM
https://amp.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/walch-funeral-march-royal-family-remembrance-sunday/

Walch's connection to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha suggests it came to the UK via Prince Albert.
That's really helpful Jeffrey - thanks so much.
They are right in that there appears to be no CD recording featuring the march, which is strange as it is often performed at state/solemn occasions.
Thanks again
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

Other parts of the music sounded like a Mahler mashup to me - lifted from the opening of Symphony No.5. 

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on September 20, 2022, 12:54:31 AM
Other parts of the music sounded like a Mahler mashup to me - lifted from the opening of Symphony No.5.
Yes, I thought at one point that the military band was about to launch into Mahler's 5th Symphony!

gprengel

I just finished a wonderful new project. Around 1803 Beethoven sketched 5 marches (Biamonti 381). 4 of them were realised recently by Italian musicologist G. Demini as marches for piano and I together with a friend orchestrated now all 5 marches - I love them and I hope you will too!

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_Biamonti_381-1_orch.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_Biamonti_381-2_orch.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_Biamonti_381-3_orch.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_Biamonti_381-4_orch.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_Biamonti_381-5_orch.mp3

Gerd

Herman

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2022, 07:55:59 AM
Yes, I thought at one point that the military band was about to launch into Mahler's 5th Symphony!

I have only seen a couple minutes when the procession was on the Long Walk road towards Windsor Castle and I thought I heard the funeral march from Chopin's 2nd sonata.

Madiel

Quote from: Herman on September 23, 2022, 11:54:48 AM
I have only seen a couple minutes when the procession was on the Long Walk road towards Windsor Castle and I thought I heard the funeral march from Chopin's 2nd sonata.

You would have, yes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

Anyone care to recommend me a great Beethoven Lieder recital disc? His Lieder are amazing, and kind of slept on.

calyptorhynchus

Does anyone know anything of any plans to issue a PI complete Beethoven SQs.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but AFAIK the Rasumosky's have never been recorded on PI, the Op 18 only partly. The Mosaiques are brilliant in the late quartets, but they don't do the alternative finale to Op 130 :-(
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Brian

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 04, 2022, 05:02:53 PM

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but AFAIK the Rasumosky's have never been recorded on PI, the Op 18 only partly. The Mosaiques are brilliant in the late quartets, but they don't do the alternative finale to Op 130 :-(
Yes. The Chiaroscuro Quartet on BIS intends to record the complete cycle. It may take 5-7 more years. They are proceeding in order and Op. 18 is complete.

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Jo498

The op.18 has at least four complete HIP recordings, one with the Smithsonian Qt. more than 30 years ago, another with the Turner Quartet, another with the Mosaiques, the Chiaroscuro and there is probably more (pretty sure I have seen at least one more recent one). Some might be unavailable, though.

I am not aware of HIP recordings for op.59,1+2 and op.14 (and maybe the alternative finale of op.130). All the others have been recorded: 59/3 by Schuppanzigh, Turner, 74 by Turner, Eroica Qt. and op.95 by Chiaroscuro and Eroica.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jo498

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 20, 2022, 02:58:48 AM
Anyone care to recommend me a great Beethoven Lieder recital disc? His Lieder are amazing, and kind of slept on.

Stephan Genz/Roger Vignoles. At least I remember this as very good, having most of the better known ones and it is a modern recording.

[asin]B00FY3SXX4[/asin]

A great favorite of mine is the following although these are technically only arrangements by Beethoven as he was given the melodies by the publisher.

[asin]B00005NQ9F[/asin]

The only fault of this disc is that it's missing some of my favorites from these songs, especially "O sweet were the hours" from op.108

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7kjYxZyBfU

That's another good recital with Scottish/Irish songs

[asin]B01N045ENV[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Spotted Horses

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 04, 2022, 05:02:53 PMSeems like a no-brainer to me, but AFAIK the Rasumosky's have never been recorded on PI, the Op 18 only partly. The Mosaiques are brilliant in the late quartets, but they don't do the alternative finale to Op 130 :-(

That is inexcusable to me. Even if you think the Grosse Fuge is a more fitting finale to Op 130, why exclude the last movement that Beethoven wrote for string quartet (and it is brilliant whether or not you think it should replace the Grosse Fuge). That, on top of ignoring Beethoven's final wishes. (Would Beethoven really agree to change a string quartet he wrote "for a future age" against his wishes?)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 20, 2022, 02:58:48 AM

About recent recordings of Beethoven's Lieder, the Goerne/Lisiecki set is really beautiful and atmospheric in my opinion.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 05, 2022, 02:42:32 AM
That is inexcusable to me. Even if you think the Grosse Fuge is a more fitting finale to Op 130, why exclude the last movement that Beethoven wrote for string quartet (and it is brilliant whether or not you think it should replace the Grosse Fuge). That, on top of ignoring Beethoven's final wishes. (Would Beethoven really agree to change a string quartet he wrote "for a future age" against his wishes?)

I agree, when I listen to op130 I listen to movements 1-5, the GF, and (when I can) the alternative finale. I think that the effect of 5 movements of sublime inspiration followed by a wild piece of experimental music from the C24 that dropped through a worm hole into Beethoven's mind, followed by "Ahem, sorry about that, here's how we could end this quartet in this century...' is an effect not surpassed in any other piece of music I know.

staxomega

For me this is the major hole in the Beethoven catalog to not have a complete cycle of the SQs on PI. I found Mosaïques much preferable to Chiaroscuro in op. 18 except for number 2 where Chiaroscuro are quite good. But I find Mosaïques only average in their set of late quartets :(

Jo498

It's certainly a bit surprising that we had already 3 or 4 complete HIP recordings of all Beethoven symphonies 30 years ago and many more since then and other, often lesser known chamber music seems also to be covered better than string quartets. At least beyond op.18. One could assume that the weight of these works and their discography is a factor but that would apply to at least some other works as well.
- Blaise Pascal