Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

I have that Karajan 9th (naturally ;D), and I can whole-heartedly second Mr. Bailey's enthusiasm. Though I admittedly found the sound to be rather more rough than he makes it sound like it is...

Still, it's probably the best Karajan Beethoven 9th on video, this one! :)

BachQ

Sokolov / Diabelli

(audio excerpt only) http://www.youtube.com/v/doHezRZZTS0

"Sokolov is for many the greatest pianist alive today. ... Sokolov is a pianistic Dostoyevsky, his music-making vast in scope, visionary and revelatory, squeezing out every last drop of meaning."

—International Piano, Sept. 2006

George

BachQ

BachQ

Haffner

Quote from: Dm on May 09, 2008, 03:37:06 AM

Classical music reviews | A big, Brilliant Beethoven box set
By Melinda Bargreen

Seattle Times music critic

In the "ups" category: the string quartets, those revered Beethoven works, performed by the always-excellent Guarneri Quartet; the terrific Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra (led by Kurt Masur) for the symphonies; Henryk Szeryng and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (with Bernard Haitink) in the Violin Concerto; and welcome appearances and collaborations.

On the "downs" side: Pianist Friedrich Gulda does not make my heart beat faster in the choice piano sonatas and concertos (even with the Vienna Philharmonic backing him up in the latter). How anyone could make these fiery, colorful works sound matter-of-fact is a source of amazement (compare them with, say, Seattle's Craig Sheppard and his pulse-pounding traversals of the sonatas). And some of those valuable historic recordings, like the Grumiaux/Haskil violin sonatas, are wonderful artistic statements but old enough that the remastered sound takes some getting used to.

But there's one final huge plus: You can buy the entire set on Amazon.com for around $126 (it's listed at $139.98). It's an incredible buy, one that will keep Beethoven fans happily engaged for a long time.

One tiny quibble. The Guarneri Quartet may always be "great" but don't buy those Mozart's Haydn SQs box they put out. It may be mostly the recording (the strings sound like cheap Casio synths), but in particular the A quartet sounds pretty butchered.

Otherwise, thanks for this really interesting post, Dmitri!

marvinbrown

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 09, 2008, 02:54:31 PM
Hmm, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you can tell this one came right out of petty parochialism. Gulda's crystal clear, lucid Beethoven is a cycle for the ages. Shame on the reviewer.

If you are referring to the sonatas I agree.  Gulda's recording on Brilliant is just that............ Brilliant!

marvin

George

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 10, 2008, 08:51:06 AM
  If you are referring to the sonatas I agree.  Gulda's recording on Brilliant is just that............ Brilliant!

marvin

Indeed, and obviously Melinda isn't.

op.110

Being a Beethoven post, I though I would add that Perahia's recording of The Emperor (Bernard Haitink and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestrais) is a marvelous recording; I just discovered this recording a couple of days ago. Nothing overdone, and the recording holds just the right amount of dynamic contrast, beauty, and power. Not an exciting recording of the piece (it's very straightforward), and he won't ever blow your mind away at any point in the recording, but then again, that's Perahia for you, and that's what makes the recording so unique and great.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 09, 2008, 02:54:31 PM
Hmm, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you can tell this one came right out of petty parochialism. Gulda's crystal clear, lucid Beethoven is a cycle for the ages. Shame on the reviewer.

But did you compare them with, say, Seattle's Craig Sheppard and his pulse-pounding traversals of the sonatas?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

BachQ

BachQ

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Sforzando on May 20, 2008, 04:04:00 AM
But did you compare them with, say, Seattle's Craig Sheppard and his pulse-pounding traversals of the sonatas?
I never like pulse-pounding in these works...I like the likes of Goode, Frank, Gulda. Everntually I will get to Sheppard and see what his "pulse-pounding" is all about.

Brian

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 22, 2008, 08:14:26 AM
I never like pulse-pounding in these works...I like the likes of Goode, Frank, Gulda. Everntually I will get to Sheppard and see what his "pulse-pounding" is all about.
He is "pulse-pounding" because he, like the critic who wrote that article for the Seattle Times, is from Seattle.

BachQ

Beethoven: The Consecration of the House overture -- Hungarian Philharmonic Orchestra; Zoltán Kocsis

http://www.youtube.com/v/y8ykmhb71gc

Once you get beyond the first two minutes, it's a damn good overture ..........

BachQ

ARGERICH, CAPUCON BROS / Triple Concerto 3rd Mvt

finale 1/2 http://www.youtube.com/v/kmxjzBtVi_c

finale 2/2 http://www.youtube.com/v/aTwPUzhAZ20&feature=related

RENAUD CAPUCON (Violin)
GAUTIER CAPUCON (Cello)
MARTHA ARGERICH (Piano)
ALEXANDER RABINOVITCH-BARAKOVSKY (Conductor)
Flanders Symphony Orchestra