Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 15, 2007, 07:47:34 AM
Got that one too George....at least there are some choices to be had.  :)

Yes, that Orfeo one would be first on my list.  :)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BachQ

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2007, 07:37:25 AM

Mahler's conversion to Christianity featured a leather clad and helmeted Cosima Wagner as Christian/Nazi/goddess, making Gustav literally jump through hoops. Mahler dreams of his death and burial, with Alma dancing on his coffin during a song and dance production number, while Storm Troopers carry him to the crematorium. Sarge

I think I'll pass on this. Thanks for the warning, Sarge.

That said, I'd like to heartily reccomend "What the Universe Tells Me"!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on June 15, 2007, 08:20:54 AM

I think I'll pass on this. Thanks for the warning, Sarge.

That said, I'd like to heartily reccomend "What the Universe Tells Me"!

Yes, I would like to see that.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2007, 07:37:25 AM
I'd seen a few Ken Russell film biographies before: Savage Messiah, about the sculptor Henri Gaudier, and The Music Lovers, about Tchaikovsky. So I knew what to expect: liberties taken with the facts, over-the-top emotionalism, offensive images, sophomoric symbolism. In Mahler, Russell didn't disappoint those expections but carried them to an entirely new level.  ;D

Parfois! Let Ken Russell be Ken Russell!!

BachQ

Released June 12, 2007

Release Date: 06/12/2007
Label:  Testament   Catalog #: 1406   Spars Code: n/a 
Composer:  Ludwig van Beethoven
Conductor:  Otto Klemperer
Orchestra/Ensemble:  Philharmonia Orchestra

Also releasing with Klemperer 1/8 4/5 Missa Solemnis

BachQ

Released 6/12
Recorded 1971

1.  Sonata for Piano no 8 in A minor, K 310 (300d) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Performer:  Emil Gilels (Piano)
Period: Classical
Written: 1778; Paris, France
Date of Recording: 1971

2.  Variations (6) for Piano in F major on "Salve tu, Domine", K 398 (416e) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Written: 1783; Vienna, Austria

3.  Fantasia for Piano in D minor, K 397 (385g) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Written: 1782; Vienna, Austria

4.  Sonata for Piano no 21 in C major, Op. 53 "Waldstein" by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: 1803-1804; Vienna, Austria

5.  Sonata for Piano no 28 in A major, Op. 101 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: 1816; Vienna, Austria

6.  Songs without words, vol 6, Op. 67: no 4, Presto in C major "Spinning Song" by Felix Mendelssohn

Period: Romantic
Written: 1845; Germany

7.  Nachtstücke (4) for Piano, Op. 23 by Robert Schumann

Written: 1839; Germany

8.  Songs without words: Excerpt(s) by Felix Mendelssohn

Written: Germany

BachQ

BachQ

One of the clues to this Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle (acrostic) was:

COMPOSER WITH THE FINAL DYING WORDS: "Applaud, my friends, the comedy is over."

ANSWER: Beethoven

George

Quote from: D Minor on June 23, 2007, 10:33:19 AM
One of the clues to this Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle (acrostic) was:

COMPOSER WITH THE FINAL DYING WORDS: "Applaud, my friends, the comedy is over."

ANSWER: Beethoven

Cool.  8)

So I take it that portion of Immortal Beloved is historically accurate?

BachQ

Quote from: George on June 23, 2007, 10:37:57 AM
So I take it that portion of Immortal Beloved is historically accurate?

Possibly.  At least there's some authority for the proposition!  :)

Needless to say, it's disputed as to (1) whether Beethoven said that; and (2) what it means.

DetUudslukkelige

Quote from: D Minor on June 23, 2007, 10:42:46 AM
Needless to say, it's disputed as to (1) whether Beethoven said that; and (2) what it means.

Strangely, a very similar quote was supposedly said by Caesar Augustus on his deathbed. I personally don't believe these romanticized views of people's final words, anyway, but if he really did say this, perhaps he drew some inspiration from Augustus?
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther

Haffner

Quote from: D Minor on June 23, 2007, 10:42:46 AM
Possibly.  At least there's some authority for the proposition!  :)

This quote seems about a historically verified as pretty much anything else LvB spoke. That is, it's generally considered to be true. The quote was made after his receiving of the last Rites, so many have questioned whether it referred to life itself, or Catholicism. The latter doesn't quite hold up as well as the former (though both are not without reference to his other quotes of the time)...it's hard to be convinced that Beethoven was too much of a lapsed Catholic when he publicly stated the Missa Solemnis was his best piece.  Even many Roman Catholics would argue for the 9th Symphony, Piano Concerto #5, or op. 131 as being his pinnacle. (You know which work this RC picks!)

I realize that the logic behind such an assertion is very faulty, and that's coming from a grievously biased person.

not edward

Just to muddy the waters a bit, I'm an atheist and think that the Missa solemnis is certainly his greatest work for large forces. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Haffner

Quote from: edward on June 24, 2007, 08:23:04 AM
Just to muddy the waters a bit, I'm an atheist and think that the Missa solemnis is certainly his greatest work for large forces. ;)

The MS is by far my own favorite chorale work.

M forever

Quote from: DetUudslukkelige on June 24, 2007, 08:10:23 AM
Strangely, a very similar quote was supposedly said by Caesar Augustus on his deathbed. I personally don't believe these romanticized views of people's final words, anyway, but if he really did say this, perhaps he drew some inspiration from Augustus?

I think you are right, many "last words" by famous people are very likely authored to sound good and somehow meaningful, and many of them are of very dubious authenticity or very obviously invented by someone else.

In Beethoven's case, his last words were recorded by Anton Schindler whose credibility is not always unquestionable either, but his account of Beethoven's final days appears to be very honest and realistic, brutally realistic even.

However, what Haffner said here has, in the best Catholic tradition, absolutely nothing to do with the recorded evidence, true or not.

According to which, Beethoven's last words were completely different, namely "Schade, schade, zu spät!"

Haffner

Quote from: M forever on June 24, 2007, 08:47:41 AM
However, what Haffner said here has, in the best Catholic tradition, absolutely nothing to do with the recorded evidence, true or not.

Yes.