Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Arnold on December 29, 2011, 08:18:09 AM
I happened to be reading the Wikipedia entry for the "Hammerklavier" sonata and came across this sentence; which struck me as somewhat ironic:

Even as progressive a musician as Richard Wagner, who appreciated the work and fully admired the late string quartets, held reservations for what he perceived as a lack of succinctness in its composition. (Emphasis mine.)

:)
I saw that, too. Hilarious.

not edward

Naturally there is much amusement to be found in Wagner, of all people, saying this; I'd be interested to see the quote in context, though, as I would have no argument with him if he was merely saying that sheer scale of the slow movement of the Hammerklavier can make it difficult to bring off successfully in performance. (I'm not sure what prominent pianists even played the work regularly in Wagner's lifetime--other than Alkan in his later years, whose concerts were decidedly a small-scale affair, and restricted to Paris.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Florestan

Quote from: Arnold on December 29, 2011, 08:18:09 AM
Even as progressive a musician as Richard Wagner, who appreciated the work and fully admired the late string quartets, held reservations for what he perceived as a lack of succinctness in its composition. (Emphasis mine.)

Maybe Wagner thought of himself as a practitioner of succinctness in music - in which case I wonder how long would the Ring have been had he succumbed to overindulgence.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

snyprrr

ack :o, the Composer Discussion has been taken over by the Oldies (LvB, Brahms, Brian, Haydn,...)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

I've listened to several of Kempff's sonatas, and... okay, they are interesting and very original performances, but I just don't like his way of interpreting. Any specific one I should listen to next out of the collection?

mszczuj

Quote from: Greg on January 22, 2012, 06:00:16 PM
I've listened to several of Kempff's sonatas, and... okay, they are interesting and very original performances, but I just don't like his way of interpreting. Any specific one I should listen to next out of the collection?

Try op.31/2. I don't like Kempff at all but this one is not so pale.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: mszczuj on January 22, 2012, 10:28:34 PM
Try op.31/2. I don't like Kempff at all but this one is not so pale.
Okay, I'll try that one.  :)

starrynight

Quote from: snyprrr on January 04, 2012, 07:10:40 AM
ack :o, the Composer Discussion has been taken over by the Oldies (LvB, Brahms, Brian, Haydn,...)

oldies but goodies :D

Mandryka

Quote from: Greg on January 22, 2012, 06:00:16 PM

Op 2/2 for sure. And the Pastoral -- op 28 -- maybe.   And I liked op 26. And Op 110: you may like it -- some people do.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 25, 2012, 12:01:11 PM
The Pastoral -- op 28 -- maybe. And Op 2/2. And Op 110: you may like it -- some people do.

I would add op. 78 and op. 90.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ibanezmonster

Okay, cool... I'll keep those in mind when I revisit those sonatas and want to try out Kempff.

Anyone else have the "complete" DG Beethoven set? I see that it's missing a few things, such as WoO 200-201 and some of the arrangements, such as the op.41 piano + flute arrangement of the op.25 Serenade.

Also, what's amusing is how short the songs with the high WoO numbers are. Try WoO 169 or 173. 15 seconds each- Beethoven's grandest and greatest masterpieces!  :o Take that, Webern and Napalm Death!  >:D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ataraxia

I don't know why this thread isn't pinned to the top.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ibanezmonster

Quote from: MN Dave on March 01, 2012, 12:10:14 PM
I don't know why this thread isn't pinned to the top.
He's the favorite composer here and between my post and yours, over a month...  ???

Karl Henning

One of the times when you know Schroeder is not playing Beethoven.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Greg on March 02, 2012, 08:25:21 AM
He's the favorite composer here and between my post and yours, over a month...  ???

Well, if he is actually everyone's favorite composer (he wins all the polls, after all) then he shouldn't need to be pinned. Just sayin'.... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mszczuj

Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2012, 08:33:28 AM
One of the times when you know Schroeder is not playing Beethoven.

Don't you ever dance to Die Grosse Fuge this way?